Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LeifonMars

Re: Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:41 am

ikeaboy wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:
ovorigin wrote:I moved a waves Trueverb from a track to aux B trying to save some cpu by routing other tracks to it and was shocked at how much it effected the sound quality. It was one Ive been using on my voice for sometime now so I was very familiar with how it should sound, its effect was one of making it sound harsher in the mid range with a subtle phasing
Did you set your Trueverb 100% wet?
My thoughts exactly
Let's assume he didn't, and here we go again, another noob has read something something about inferior sound quality of Live and immediately thinks self caused phasing issues are due to the flaws of Live. I bet over 90% of this bad sound quality fuzz is created this way.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am

Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ? Questionable! However, if professional musicians (i.e. are making a living) by using it then certainly is it pro audio.

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 am

the better question is:

do i need a pro audio application for producing
good music and maybe have sucess?

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

The question is: can a music production software be a pro audio application in case its name doesn't include epithet "pro"?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Sepp Ultura

Post by Sepp Ultura » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 am

LeifonMars wrote:The question is: can a music production software be a pro audio application in case its name doesn't include epithet "pro"?
Or do we need this?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am

I was always taught that it's a bad worker who blames their tools.

Pros rely on sharp tools to produces fine work but those tools also give you a lot more power to mess up if you don't know what you are doing.

Live gives you all the tools you need to totally fuck up your sound.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am

so much disinformation in the OP...

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 am

For an engineer it's not......

For an artist it is.....

allanaceflyer

Post by allanaceflyer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:32 pm

woh always used it for sea fishing its great?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 pm

macmurphy wrote:
friend_kami wrote: live really isn't a program geared for production at all.
if this is true, friend_kami, would you mind telling me how i use it for exactly that? and no, i don't make tech house :wink:
if you do then you are aware of it's incredible lack of detailed editing aswell?
tell me, how do you do your automation editing?
i've had to rewrite music because it's not accurate enough, and sounds like crap because of that.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
Let's assume he didn't, and here we go again, another noob has read something something about inferior sound quality of Live and immediately thinks self caused phasing issues are due to the flaws of Live. I bet over 90% of this bad sound quality fuzz is created this way.
That's the danger isn't it? as soon as something someone works on doesn't sound right they remember all the sound quality threads and assume their problem is what people were complaining about instead of figuring out their own mistakes. And for the issues your suffering OP do you not think you titled the thread in a fairly over the top manner? Inferring Live is only for amateurs because you have issues with Looper?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:25 pm

friend_kami wrote:
macmurphy wrote:
if this is true, friend_kami, would you mind telling me how i use it for exactly that? and no, i don't make tech house :wink:
if you do then you are aware of it's incredible lack of detailed editing aswell?
i've had to rewrite music because it's not accurate enough, and sounds like crap because of that.
clearly the fault of the application.

so based on this are we to assume that you're not a "pro" if you don't do automation editing?

PRO tip #69: you must automate to be a Pro.
PRO tip #96: you have to edit automation to be a Pro.

right.

Feature Request: Abes please put this valuable info on page 1 of the manual.

thanks.
Last edited by H20nly on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 pm

friend_kami wrote:
macmurphy wrote:
Fair enough uncompensated automation could cause major head aches with certain style of projects, it's never upset me personally. every piece of gear I've ever used had stumbling blocks that needed to be worked around, especially software. It seems some take these things in their stride easier then others. That's not meant to sound antagonistic just some recognition that people deal with different sorts of problems differently, there's issues that make me throw in the towel in exasperation instead of working for the rest of a session and sometimes Live is at fault but I'm never surprised when technology fucks up, in fact I'm still well impressed by what my tools can do. I'm 35, started off on a MPC and I pay for all my software and I consider it worth my hard earned cash.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 pm

"if this is true, friend_kami, would you mind telling me how i use it for exactly that? and no, i don't make tech house :wink:[/quote]

i've had to rewrite music because it's not accurate enough, and sounds like crap because of that.[/quote]

clearly the fault of the application.

so based on this are we to assume that you're not a "pro" if you don't do automation editing?

PRO tip #69: you must automate to be a Pro.
PRO tip #96: you have to edit automation to be a Pro.

right.

Feature Request: Abes please put this valuable info on page 1 of the manual.

thanks."

no, but more in the case of "your automation is shitty and imprecise".
ever tried to get a smooth filtersweep in live?
how about a sine curve sweep?

be my guest, try it.
now try working at 700bpm with several timesignatures, lots of tempo automation and millisecond-editing, and automation, and see where it takes you.
long story short: live's automation is imprecise, and doesn't offer enough control.
neither does the sample editing.
it's a sketchpad. it might be awesome for making live racks and designing sounds but when you really need to do precise editing it sucks.
if you disagree then you clearly need to use it more.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 pm

friend_kami wrote: now try working at 700bpm with several timesignatures, lots of tempo automation and millisecond-editing, and automation, and see where it takes you.
long story short: live's automation is imprecise, and doesn't offer enough control.
neither does the sample editing.
it's a sketchpad. it might be awesome for making live racks and designing sounds but when you really need to do precise editing it sucks.
if you disagree then you clearly need to use it more.
Ah come on, 700 bpm with several timesignatures and lots of tempo automation then it messes up for you so you brand Live a sketch pad! You're music sounds interesting but your expectations and sweeping statements are ridiculous