Aftertouch for hardware synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kolakube

Re: Aftertouch for hardware synth

Post by kolakube » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey Col,

got it - :mrgreen:

Just kept fiddling and with the info you told me applied it and something went right.

Thanks man. Appreciate your time helping me.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 am

Not sure why people are saying there's no aftertouch, or that it's shown as pressure, or maybe I'm reading this thread wrong... But Collision, Operator and Sampler clearly have sections on them called Aftertouch, with all of the Aftertouch settings Including destination A and Destination B plus value settingsfor each available to them.

scientist

Post by scientist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 am

lazyriverzz wrote:It's much more of a ball-ache to me dude.... I bought Symphonic Choirs AND an extra keyboard that has aftertouch just use it.... But Live said NO...!!!! :roll:
wordbuilder is integrated into the latest version of symphonic choirs and no longer needs aftertouch to function.

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 am

@crumhorn
Good thinking! but you need to add a time window in case you actually intended to assign a parameter to Note ON. And then you'd have to be careful not to accidentally send after touch, which can be quite tricky on some keyboards.
.... yeah, i know, the actual implementation is usualy way more complicated than the general idea is.
Actually this could eventually involve huge arrays of buffer-variables and what not.

So maybe the best way would be the most simple one:
Just a tiny button, click it to use PolyPressure instead of Continous-Controllers, click it off to use Controllers again.

This would add 2048 (16x128) new Continous-Controllers!
Not that the existing 2048 are really too few. (i'm on LiveIntro anyways)
But it certainly would allow more flexibility & elegance with Controller-layouts in many cases.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Willyum wrote:Not sure why people are saying there's no aftertouch, or that it's shown as pressure, or maybe I'm reading this thread wrong... But Collision, Operator and Sampler clearly have sections on them called Aftertouch, with all of the Aftertouch settings Including destination A and Destination B plus value settingsfor each available to them.
Some Live instruments can respond to after touch, but the OP wants to send it to an external hardware synth which can only be done in the clip envelopes as channel pressure.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 pm

dr_loop wrote:@crumhorn
Good thinking! but you need to add a time window in case you actually intended to assign a parameter to Note ON. And then you'd have to be careful not to accidentally send after touch, which can be quite tricky on some keyboards.
.... yeah, i know, the actual implementation is usualy way more complicated than the general idea is.
Actually this could eventually involve huge arrays of buffer-variables and what not.

So maybe the best way would be the most simple one:
Just a tiny button, click it to use PolyPressure instead of Continous-Controllers, click it off to use Controllers again.

This would add 2048 (16x128) new Continous-Controllers!
Not that the existing 2048 are really too few. (i'm on LiveIntro anyways)
But it certainly would allow more flexibility & elegance with Controller-layouts in many cases.
Where there is a will .... I'm sure they could think of some way to accommodate it if hey really wanted.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)