Need cheap monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobland

Need cheap monitors

Post by bobland » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I went monitor testing today hoping I'd get to listen to a Genelec 8020 or a Dynaudio BM5A. Only place that listed anything in this class was the local Guitar Center. Unfortunately, they only had $200 (each) monitors -- KRK, Yamaha, JBL, M-Audio and Tannoy. The JBL 2325 was the only one that didn't sound too deficient but still did not get even close to pulling money out of my pocket. The salesman said he didn't think there was any place I could hear a Genelec in Boise. All of the "pro audio" shops think Bose is Hi-End.

Eventually, I'll get down to Salt Lake City (5 hours away) to listen to everything at a pro shop down there. In the mean time I've got to replace my horrid computer monitors so I can continue making music. At the moment, I'm not mixing, just putting ideas together.

I've read a lot of decent postings about the Alesis M1/Monitor One monitors. I need something along those lines until I can audition some good ones. Any recommendations for something temporary?

ChrisMack99

Re: Need cheap monitors

Post by ChrisMack99 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

I would seriously consider saving your cash until you can get a really nice pair.

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 pm

....go and make that guitarshop guy happy and get yourself the krk rok it 5...
For that price they're really a no brainer....
I got a pair for workin' on the run...and you won't find more monitoring in that price range anywhere else....

They even will still make a good job next to a pair of real good ones....no doubt.
In the right angle and with a real sweetspot, which was definitly a missing point in the guitar shop, they really can tell u where u are...

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 pm

My advise is Yamaha HS 50. Sounds harsh at first, but they're very neutral.
KRK are known to brake rapidly.

bobland

Post by bobland » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm wondering how much of a difference "tuning" would make with these speakers. I noticed that they all have trim switches on their backs. I liked the Yamaha's but they seemed shrill. If I hit a trim switch, would that really make a difference? Each speaker had a particular "problem," but I wonder how much had to do with both tuning and room.

Since it may be a long while before I get to hear a higher quality speaker, I may go back to Guitar Center and pick something up. At least I can hear what they have. I'm not too fond of buying a set of monitors without hearing them, Genelec/Dynaudio or not.

channelite

Post by channelite » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

If you have OK credit, why not apply for a Guitar Center, Musicians Friend or a Sweetwater.com credit card. They usually give you 6 to 12 months with no interest to pay it off.

You could also find the monitors that sound good in the store and then search online, ebay maybe, for the cheapest price.

bobland

Post by bobland » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Guitar Center's prices are about the same all over for the monitors I've looked at. The only difference would be tax. Since they are providing me with a listening service, I will gladly give them that difference.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 pm

If you're gonnsa go GC get on the GC mailing or email list or check their site... I have been able to get some solid discounts from their promos. Also, they will price match so do look around on line. Hate to admit it but the 12 months no interest w/payments is pretty much how I've been able to acquire a few things. That being said I always leave there with this weird feeling... :oops:

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:24 pm

continuous wrote:If you're gonnsa go GC get on the GC mailing or email list or check their site... I have been able to get some solid discounts from their promos. Also, they will price match so do look around on line. Hate to admit it but the 12 months no interest w/payments is pretty much how I've been able to acquire a few things. That being said I always leave there with this weird feeling... :oops:

I never know how to feel about Guitar Center. Yeah they put all the local shops out of business, but everyone forgets...the only reason that happened was because GC used to be the shit.

"How much is this guitar?"
"900 bucks."
"I'll give you 350."
"Ahh...can't go below 400 sorry."

Of course then once all the little guys were out of business GC banned all bargaining and started charging the high sticker prices for everything. Which is kind of evil...

But then again its the only store that has almost every piece of equipment you could want, and if you go on a holiday weekend you can get ridiculous deals.

Meh.

intensemojo

Post by intensemojo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:39 pm

I got Rokit 6's for the same price as K5's during a GC sale. They are good with decent bottom end. Just get auralex pads underneath them.