Won't advances eventually make musicians near obsolete?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Re: Won't advances eventually make musicians near obsolete?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 pm

futuremoves wrote:Making computer music is easier than ever. It's getting easier, thanks to various software programs like Ableton Live and http://www.ableton.com/schwarzonator. I am definitely a hobbyist, but I enjoy the challenge and the never-ending learning curve. Though, I can't help thinking that much of what I learn today will be irrelevant tomorrow as a software program will do it for me (if I choose to use it). What do others think of this... and does it matter?

Yeah , thats exacly what heppened when somebody invented the piano, and the guitar... and so on...

come on...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm

have samplers made string and brass players obsolete?
no

But, have samplers reduced string and brass players work from what it was?
Certainly.

this is my prediction: a reduced role for humans in music making. Human music makers will onyl be required for the fancy parts. The majority of workaday techno, ambient, downtempo, loopmusic which fills most web radio ... all this can be formulated quite easily. Machines can do that stuff.

We'll only be called in for special occasions and specific types of music which are best suited to us and will remain the preserve of human musicians.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm

+1. Digital muzak printed out by computer, with the human role shifting from performance and fine scale composition to rule selection and coding. Apart from the further reduction in musician's incomes its no great loss. the human energy that goes into the current overproduction of recomposed loop packs and vst presets will released into a more useful field of activity, like physics or cleaning.
Less nihilistically, the tools which enable people to create vast libraries of mediocrity can/could be put to use in the creation of music that could never have been written without their help. I am firm believer in the ability of genius, talent and artistry to use what ever tools are available.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:16 pm

It seems, in modern times at least, that man has always had an irrational fear of machines. I mean look how many fucking movies they make about this shit. War w/ the machines. Is it possible for man to create technology that somehow becomes more advanced and more intelligent than it's creator? Then, will these machines get tired of being slaves to mere humans and decide to kill their masters and take over?
Honestly, it does seem kinda possible but I don't think the human soul can be replicated mechanically.
Plus here on the Ableton forum we are all obsessed w/ electronic music. There is tons of electronic music out there right now, and it's definitely permeated the mainstream but most of the popular music being bought and listened to today is still made w/ a guitar, a bass, drummer and a singer.

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

We can have the most advanced tools in the world at our disposal and there is a good chance I will still be floored by some street performer somewhere in the world who has nothing but a shoddy guitar and their voice.

Music is cool like that.
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I love technology as it helps me make music, but this discussion reminds me why this will always remain my main musical tool:

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Does anyone believe computers will think for themselves one day ? That Technology will advance to the point where computers can think for themselves? "The moment of singularity" as they call it.

Anyway, I am a believer. And for as long as we have this technology "under control" (not going into the whole SkyNet Terminator side of it), we can use it for basically anything -- especially for music.

But in that future point in our society, many other jobs would have been replaced already. Music would just be another on the list. Far Far down the road perhaps?

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm

you could argue that humans are a type of machine. and a very inefficient one at that.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Gaetano CAPUANO

Post by Gaetano CAPUANO » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Would you rather hire a pro guitarist to do most of your guitar work for your live Sets, or type in a little bit on Kontak?
http://www.customguitarloops.com
Need Guitar or Bass tracks for your project? Message me and lets work that out

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Lazos wrote:I love technology as it helps me make music, but this discussion reminds me why this will always remain my main musical tool:

THANK YOU!

I doubt this conversation would come up in a strictly non-computers musicians forum.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Even if an intelligent self aware computer exited that could write music, what would it write music about? What would be it's inspiration? and would anybody be interested in listening to it beyond it's novelty value?

If my cat could be trained to write music would it make musicians obsolete? Or would it just create a lot of weird music that no one can possibly understand (except for other cats of course)?

Maybe in future computers will create music for the entertainment of other computers.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 pm

if cats could write hit tunes can you imagine just how arrogant of a cnut they'd turn into? imagine the demands on the rider.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Tone Deft wrote:if cats could write hit tunes can you imagine just how arrogant of a cnut they'd turn into? imagine the demands on the rider.
:D hi-freakin'-larious!
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 pm

memes_33 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:if cats could write hit tunes can you imagine just how arrogant of a cnut they'd turn into? imagine the demands on the rider.
:D hi-freakin'-larious!
Actually, my cat is going deaf so he would be the cat equivalent of Beethoven.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)