Got a gig....what does this mean?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Got a gig....what does this mean?

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 pm

AaronYeo wrote:
morbid wrote:'Technical' is the key word

Don't just ask for cocaine and rum
Or ask for it in a technical manner.

2 DIs
8 1/4" male -> XLR female
2 kg benzoylmethyl ecgonine
750 ml distilled sugarcane extracts
6 packs of pop rocks
:lol: nice.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:Cotdagoo I don't really care what a bunch of forum geeks think about me. I do care what these promoters think about me. See the difference?
maybe you should if they're the ones answering every noob query you've made here.

i'd be surprised if you can even cross the street without someone holding your hand.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

And take spares of whatever you can.... Especially cables!

Back when I was younger and use to do party DJing I remember a gig where I rocked up with my PC (not a laptop, wasn't rich enough for that) and this was back when I had the large styled keyboard plug. My keyboard had a small plug and I was suppose to have an adapter which I forgot. The PC wouldn't boot past the BIOS due to keyboard error. Luckily someone had an old one across town and went to get it.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Ok cotdagoo, I'm going to go practice for my performance while you sit on the internet and try to find ways to make yourself feel superior to strangers.

Thanks for the tip Jester.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:Ok cotdagoo, I'm going to go practice for my performance while you sit on the internet and try to find ways to make yourself feel superior to strangers.
haha ooooookay. make sure you come back and have the forum answer any moronic questions you might have along the way.

fact: if you don't know what a 'tech rider' is, there's a larger possibility you probably shouldn't be playing out in front of people (you at least found out how to play live 'live' - so you should be good)

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Because its impossible for to someone to have focused on the actual composition and performance of music and no memorized a bunch of industry vocabulary to have any artistic value whatsoever.

When's your next gig big shot?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:39 pm

^ maybe you should get humble??

his point about how you ask questions here to find out what you don't know and then go on to insult everyone who is answering them by calling them/us a bunch of nerds, geeks, losers, what ever word you used... yeah, he's calling you out. you could retract the statement instead of pushing the splinter deeper in the flesh. do what you will, but remember that a lot more posters from this forum than you have played a gig live. some of them have record deals and other successful endeavors related to music and Ableton Live... if you think you might, by some moment of weakness, need to ask a question of them in the future... you might want to consider not pointing out to them that you don't give a shit about them in the process.

my .02, take it with a grain of salt.

good luck with your gig.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:44 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:Because its impossible for to someone to have focused on the actual composition and performance of music and no memorized a bunch of industry vocabulary to have any artistic value whatsoever.

When's your next gig big shot?
It doesn't take memorization of 'industry terms' to do a little digging on your own before using the forum as your personal 'Ask Jeeves' (ask questions without doing any actual work yourself for the answers). If you can't find out by searching for a minute or two yourself, then why should others spend their time answering when you clearly haven't lifted a finger?

As a promoter myself, if someone I'm booking doesn't know what a tech rider is, I'd have some serious concerns about their abilities as it would appear they've never been booked before and if so, not for anything larger than a house party. Don't get me wrong.. I'm sure you're an amazing musician with loads of artistic value but when I have people paying for a 'show' - it's important to have someone up to the task who knows their shit performing. By the sounds of it, these promoters are a bit more on top of things than you - hence my comment about shouldn't be playing out.. I'd be worried, nothing more..

My next gig is on the 7th, I'll be doing a 4 turntable 3 mixer set with a friend using the bridge & some midi gear.. should be fun! Cheers.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 pm

H20nly wrote:^ maybe you should get humble??

his point about how you ask questions here to find out what you don't know and then go on to insult everyone who is answering them by calling them/us a bunch of nerds, geeks, losers, what ever word you used... yeah, he's calling you out. you could retract the statement instead of pushing the splinter deeper in the flesh. do what you will, but remember that a lot more posters from this forum than you have played a gig live. some of them have record deals and other successful endeavors related to music and Ableton Live... if you think you might, by some moment of weakness, need to ask a question of them in the future... you might want to consider not pointing out to them that you don't give a shit about them in the process.

my .02, take it with a grain of salt.

good luck with your gig.

I didn't call the people on this forum geeks, HE did, and I repeated what he said in my response.

I've also repeatedly thanked all of the people who helped me and weren't just asses about it for no reason. Oh wait there was only 1 person who was an ass...

And finally, this IS my first gig large than a house party/small warehouse. Obviously in both of those cases I provide all of my own shit including the PA system. The promoters know this, but they liked my music and are giving me a chance. Is that so weird? I'm pretty sure everyone has a first time, no?

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:15 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote: Oh wait there was only 1 person who was an ass...
was it you for asking a stupid question or me for suggesting google is your friend in situations like this?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 am

Please hand me that patch cable so I can hang myself :D