APC40 vs. iPad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
roozy

APC40 vs. iPad

Post by roozy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:11 am

I was just about to purchase an apc40 until I discovered the amount of stuff you can do with the iPad. http://liine.net/en/products/griid/
It's amazing. Of course you can't compare a touch screen to real knobs, so I was thinking of getting an iPad with a controller like a Korg Microkontrol.
Of course the price difference will be huge ($200 for apc40 compared to $620 ipad + controller $). Would it be worth the extra money?
What do you guys think?

WISH1

Re: APC40 vs. iPad

Post by WISH1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 am

I use both Apc40 and iPad in my live set, although I prefer the feel of hardware control over touch screen, its fun to play with both. But if you need to invest in one, I'd say get an iPad. You can do so much more with it. http://iximix.com/ looks like an Apc40 on an iPad.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm

APC40 is a very flexible MIDI controller that ties directly and snugly into Live, and is good at what it does.

The iPad is a very flexible everything controller that ties directly into Live, as well as having a ton of other uses (instruments/synths, NanoStudio, non-musical applications).

You can do more with an iPad, but the gains from the tactile feel of a physical controller like the APC is hard to overstate.

I use both myself and like using them both a lot. On more than one occasion I've been thankful for the buttons and knobs on the APC.

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:26 pm

you can't really say that physical control is better than the ipad's touch controls.

You maybe more accustomed to the physical controls, but its not necessarily "better". You just have to go through the learning curve, and once your past it, its just like using anything else.

Just like texting w/ buttons on a cell phone vs texting with onscreen buttons. Its a learning curve.

and to your question. If you had to buy one or the other, I would buy the iPad2.

which i have

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 pm

I ve been wondering this myself. I have an APC40 and i HATE the way the buttons travel for triggering anything with a degree of timing accuracy. To be honest same goes for the Launchpad.

I get much more use out of my PadKontrol. It really is a much better triggering experience.But ofcourse, no automapping etc....

SO this makes me wonder, is the Ipad (running Touchable), at least as sensitive as a Padkontrol?

i.e Touch sensitive with negligible latency?

I have been eying up the this combo for a while now.....
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

you can't really say that physical control is better than the ipad's touch controls.
I can, for my purposes. Being able to have four fingers sitting on clip launch buttons (without actually pressing them), waiting for the bar when I want to launch them, is huge, and not possible with the iPad. I've been using Griid, and trying to launch multiple clips (especially 4 clips that aren't in the same scene) with multiple fingers, it's painfully easy to mis-launch/fail to launch a clip.

Having the hardware buttons and the tactile response with them, at least for my own preferences and workflow, is not easily duplicated on a touchscreen interface.

And again, not a matter of being expressly/objectively 'better', but for my purposes, tactile is more functional for me.

AaronYeo

Post by AaronYeo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm

For me, something as straightforward as cliplaunching is pretty easily learned on whatever platform/controller you're using.

Things like knobs and faders, however... tactile > touchscreen, in my mind. I find it hard to get pinpoint accuracy on touch screens, and knobs are... well, knobs.

edit: But nothing beats an iPad at being an X-Y controller!

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:29 pm

agent314 wrote:
I can, for my purposes. Being able to have four fingers sitting on clip launch buttons (without actually pressing them), waiting for the bar when I want to launch them, is huge, and not possible with the iPad. I've been using Griid, and trying to launch multiple clips (especially 4 clips that aren't in the same scene) with multiple fingers, it's painfully easy to mis-launch/fail to launch a clip.

Having the hardware buttons and the tactile response with them, at least for my own preferences and workflow, is not easily duplicated on a touchscreen interface.

And again, not a matter of being expressly/objectively 'better', but for my purposes, tactile is more functional for me.
For your purposes.

Like i said, there is somewhat a learning curve to it. Im sure you haven't given it much chance to master. Once mastered, both mediums are equivalent in capability. PLUS the fact that there are many many apps that can approach your "situation" in a variety of ways. now whatsup?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:36 pm

*cough*fanboy*cough*
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Learning curve on apple touch screens? Never herd that one before! :)

Regarding real knobs and fades: you cant really beat that with a touch screen.
Try to keep your eyes on the audience while you pulsate a fader in 1/8th with one hand, and filter mod a knob with the other hand. Pretty soon your hands are going to drift.
When your hands got a good grip on real knobs, buttons and fades, you don't need to look at the device at all.

That being said: Id take both! Im considering getting an iPad and place it on top of the APC40 session triggers. Because I don't use those APC triggers much at all. The only reason I don't use them is because I have no idea what clip is where. The iPad w/app gives total clip feedback: color, name, and in some cases clip play-head position.

iPad is great for traveling. A million times better then the korg nanos. Been using iPhone with Nano Studio, and also Live Control for a while. A bit to tiny, but the technology works great.

They are both great, so get both! Maybe iPad first..

AaronYeo

Post by AaronYeo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 pm

perplex wrote:
agent314 wrote:

For your purposes.

Like i said, there is somewhat a learning curve to it. Im sure you haven't given it much chance to master. Once mastered, both mediums are equivalent in capability. PLUS the fact that there are many many apps that can approach your "situation" in a variety of ways. now whatsup?
Buttons don't stop working when your nails get too long. :P

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:17 pm

For your purposes.

Well, you won that one! Congratulations!

Here is your prize:

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm

ze2be wrote:Learning curve on apple touch screens? Never herd that one before! :)

Regarding real knobs and fades: you cant really beat that with a touch screen.
Try to keep your eyes on the audience while you pulsate a fader in 1/8th with one hand, and filter mod a knob with the other hand. Pretty soon your hands are going to drift.
When your hands got a good grip on real knobs, buttons and fades, you don't need to look at the device at all.

That being said: Id take both! Im considering getting an iPad and place it on top of the APC40 session triggers. Because I don't use those APC triggers much at all. The only reason I don't use them is because I have no idea what clip is where. The iPad w/app gives total clip feedback: color, name, and in some cases clip play-head position.

iPad is great for traveling. A million times better then the korg nanos. Been using iPhone with Nano Studio, and also Live Control for a while. A bit to tiny, but the technology works great.

They are both great, so get both! Maybe iPad first..
yes learning curve on a touch screen. Of course touching a screen isn't much to learn. But controlling something on a touch screen takes getting use to. You will begin to remember the location of each slider and button on the screen, and soon its like boom, you know of nothing else.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Our brains are designed to make use of physical feedback.

On the other hand, the learning curve to make use of non-existent physical feedback with our imagination is probably infinite.
Too steep for me, but "for your purposes" maybe it's perfect.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

please. iPads are cool sure, but let's not be ridiculous. if you watch the screen the whole time then it's perfect. if you want to do anything else (that involves shifting your gaze) you can become fucked quick. on the other hand with a row of knobs or buttons, you can feel before you launch. tell me how to identify the button without looking on a touchscreen and i'll consider that, but you can fumble in the dark, eyes closed, with knobs/buttons and still complete the task you set out to accomplish.