Problems with MPK49

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
V1t0

Problems with MPK49

Post by V1t0 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Dell XPS L702X
Intel I7 2.0
8g RAM
64bit

the latest Abelton Live Lite

AKAI MPK49
----------------------------------------------

I'm about to pull my hair out. It NEVER runs on the first shot, sometimes it gets stuck on finding midi in/out, sometimes it stalls in creating new live set... I don't have the ASIO driver installed I'm using WMD, if I put the ASIO, it NEVER opens...
When I do get it running, it freezes... don't make any sudden moves, it might freeze on me again...
Sometimes it picks up the AKAI MPK49 sometimes it doesn't...
WHen the keyboard is working I can't press to many notes or go crazy on it, because it'll just stop working... I can't play the keys and work the faders at the same time because it goes out and or starts skipping...
I tried fixing the buffer but that doesn't work either...

I have a awesome interface, a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, but I can't use it at all...

Somebody help me!!!!

perplex

Re: Problems with MPK49

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 pm

I am on Mac so I probably won't help you. BUT sometimes I have the same problem when my Korg m3, Maschine, and MPK49 is plugged up, they sometimes conflict with each other and one locks up.

Just make sure there are no conflicting midi devices, and make sure you have the latest drivers.

Im pretty sure you have those bases covered though. maybe someone else can chime in.

tobybennett

Post by tobybennett » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I had the exact same problem. The unit never left my studio but Akai would not honor any sort of warranty. Now I have a $400 piece of trash in my closet. It's a software problem for me but as we all know, Akai isn't always the quickest to fess up to any issues with their latest products. Those being the MPK49, MPD, and the APC40. I feel your pain. I went out and got an Edirol PCM-800 for $200. Not sure if they make them anymore, but I've had no issues at all with it and it has a ton of buttons and faders. Good luck.

V1t0

Post by V1t0 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks for answering...

The MPK49 doesn't need anydrivers, and I'm not using an interface.
I wasn't using wmd though, it was MME.

Here are my settings... I hope/think it's a midi problem.

Thanks...

V1t0

Post by V1t0 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Just had it out on the phone with some guy at AKAI, holy crap I'm fuming!!!!!!

They said they would email me a solution.... wtf!?

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:55 pm

I had a shit load of problems with mine when I first bought it. The thing that pushed me over the edge was the fact the volume faders did not work after selecting the B and C banks - they didnt respond to tracks 9 and over. I returned it within 7 days and got a Remote 37SL in its place

A month later Akai called me wanting to know what the problems were and spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me taking notes of the issues - that was 20 minutes after I told him I no longer owned the unit!

Nice keyboard, great construction, but shit once plugged in =(

Hope you get it sorted soon

V1t0

Post by V1t0 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Reinstalled ASIO, worked for a while... then started skipping when I was going nuts on a fader... I was using bank AB...
changed input buffer size to 512...

This sucks.

:(

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:17 pm

i also had the same problem with this thing. my solution was to make sure the mpk was plugged in before turning on the computer. then i would open live. if live would not detect it i would unplug the mpk49 close live replug in the mpk and open live. usually this would work.
after a while though i got sick of the mpk because i also had a few other problems with it and i sold it.
i dont think akia or akai support has really been trained for this unit. i also called them and they pretty much knew less about it than me. the manual for it was also worthless.

one more thing. it seemed like every time i asked for help on a forum i would also get some one to tell me "this unit is class compliant you dont need drivers" i knew this before i bought it just like most people know this. the problem is that its not class compliant for everyone. its suppose to be but its not. i think akia or whatever they are called where just too cheap to hire some one to write drivers and test the unit before selling it. people dont spend close to 400 on something with the hopes of bitching about it in the future. the people that buy it actually want it to work and believed it would when they bought it.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm

The thing that pushed me over the edge was the fact the volume faders did not work after selecting the B and C banks - they didnt respond to tracks 9 and over.
The LiveLite preset is only automapped for 1-8 on bank A. B and AB are mappable and work fine that way, but not automappable out of the box.

Possibly you could make a custom user script for it, but I've never tried.

Not that you care since you don't own the unit any more, but for reference, there it is.

Nevulus

Post by Nevulus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 am

im having the same problem.

windows 7 64 bit ultiamte sp 1
2600k OC'd, 8gb ram, gtx570
saffire pro 24 and an RME interface
akai mpk49
ilok2: w/ api bundle, vcc, mpx
sonnox bundle
komplete 7

Ableton live 8.2.2 sometimes boots up, other times it freezes and stays stuck at "initializing midi inputs/outputs" or "creating a live set" I have to unplug the Akai mpk49 and then Ableton proceeds to work. But then I no longer have a functioning midi controller.

I thought it was an Akai MPK problem, or the drivers, but the MPK works PERFECT with Reaper and Cubase, just not Ableton Live.

daniel.broesecke

Post by daniel.broesecke » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:10 pm

sometimes my MPK49 controls my eqs or compressors etc automatically how I can reset...?