N.I. Traktor 10 for recording? Or Komplete Audio 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
contakt321

N.I. Traktor 10 for recording? Or Komplete Audio 6

Post by contakt321 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Is there anyone out there using the Native Instruments Traktor 10 for recording external audio like synths and drum machines (ie: not turntables)?
It has 5 stereo ins and 5 stereo outs, would I be able to use it as 10 mono ins and 10 mono outs?
Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?
Basically - if I use this, I would likely connect all my hardware in as stereo pairs.
Also - might use the 5 stereo outs to do summing, etc.

The other option I am looking into is Komplete Audio 6, which is constructed for audio recording (as opposed to a dj interface) but only has 4 in and 4 out.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go and my questions above? (please don't suggest other soundcards - thank you)

Thank you in advance for any insight!

rbmonosylabik

Re: N.I. Traktor 10 for recording? Or Komplete Audio 6

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I have a Traktor Audio 6. The problem would be it's really designed for use in a DJ rig, so it doesn't have some functions needed for studio recording. The big drawbacks I can think of is it's lack of Direct monitoring, which in a recording soundcard lets you listen to your input straight to your output without latency. The Traktor Audio has Direct Thru, but it only sends your input directly to its output pair and disables that output pair for use by your computer, which is meant to switch from real vinyl to DVS easily and not so useful while recording.

The other drawback is it lacks any kind of Gain control. It only lets you switch between Line level and Phono level input which will give you way too much gain and also EQ the input very harshly distorting anything other than turntable output. So, if for some reason the output of whatever you're recording is too high or too low, you're out of luck.

If you want it for studio use go for the Komplete 6.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Thank you for the insight - that was certainly something I was concerned about.

I think I can get away w/o needing direct monitoring as I am recording audio from sequenced synths, etc.

Are you using yours this way (to record external synths)? Do you find that the synths volume isn't loud enough or not enough control to use this and not have an actual gain control?

Also, do you happen to know if I can use the 5 stereo inputs as 10 mono inputs?

I would really love to have 5 stereo is or 10 mono, as opposed to 4 (w/ Komplete 6) as I can then just run all my synths into my soundcard - might be worth the hassle of not having manually adjustable gains.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:21 pm

TBH I haven't tried it with anything other than turntables. The line ins are meant for CD players and the like, so you should be fine if you have some way to control the output level of your synths you should be fine. Inputs can be used as mono and stereo pairs in Ableton, you just enable/disable mono and stereo pairs and route like with any other interface.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2