new synth / vst for dance music

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leighbeynon

new synth / vst for dance music

Post by leighbeynon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 pm

so any one seen of any new vst instruments that sound interesting
im looking for some good poly sounds, basslines, stabby hits etc, most synths seem to just have large
trance synth sounds and not much in the way of sustained poly synths you can use with chords,
and nice blips, stabs
LPB

Cowlash

Re: new synth / vst for dance music

Post by Cowlash » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Are you looking for a new synth or a new set of patches?

You could make all those kind of sounds with Operator :)

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:40 am

learn about synthesis and don't worry about what presets come with a vst.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:01 pm

hmmm right
LPB

amigo

Post by amigo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Not everybody in interested in or good at programming synths.

Some of my favourites VSTi's are Trillian and Omnisphere from SpectraSonics, U-He ACE and anything from Rob Papen.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm

yeah just some recommendations would be good as a staring point, i dont mind editing patches that already interest me, my time is so limited, i would like to enjoy making music rather than hours of editing,
i know it gives you your own sound but still,

i heard Jupiter could be good for house music? maybe a little too old now, sure there are some great quality synths around now
LPB

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm

amigo wrote:Not everybody in interested in or good at programming synths.

Some of my favourites VSTi's are Trillian and Omnisphere from SpectraSonics, U-He ACE and anything from Rob Papen.
+1

trilian + omnisphere is pretty much like having a motif or an M3 through your midi controller

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

leighbeynon wrote:yeah just some recommendations would be good as a staring point, i dont mind editing patches that already interest me, my time is so limited, i would like to enjoy making music rather than hours of editing,
i know it gives you your own sound but still,

i heard Jupiter could be good for house music? maybe a little too old now, sure there are some great quality synths around now
I say Nexus2 simply because you say your time is limited. most of the presets are good, too good at times because of the delays and verbs with the presets.. just lay off some of that.. it's not as tweakable as other synths because it's basically a rompler but it sounds good has alot of today's pop/dance sound with minimal effort..

Greeg

Post by Greeg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:10 pm

1. Synapse Dune is pretty nice for dance / pop music as well as some commercial electronic genres
2. Korg M1 VSTi - for 50 $ you'll get 3000 bread & butter presets. Sure, the original synth is oldie but there are still some universal presets suitable for modern / current music

http://www.korguser.net/shop/software/

3. Personally I love Toxic Biohazard (is / was on sale for 49 $) but I needed to create my own pop / dance presets for it because default soundbank is suited more for hmm some chillout, ambient stuff (soundscapes , textures etc.)

OR instead of buying new synths you could just write down the list of soft synths you have. Then just google for it with queries like:
'your synth + presets' ,
'Your synth name + soundbank'
and you'll quickly find some third party presets. Quite often it's much cheaper than buying another synth and such presets are more focused on certain area (ie. basses, or some trance leads etc.) than factory bank.

If you can afford - sure go with Spectrasonics stuff. especially Trillian is probably the best "bass station" plugin
VST Cafe - music production blog, ableton, vst
Novation V-Station, Toxic Biohazard, Cakewalk Z3ta+ - modern electronic, EDM, pop soundbanks | Tone2 Gladiator Space Station - soundbank