Ableton are a bunch of thieves!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Forge.

Re: Ableton are a bunch of thieves!

Post by Forge. » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:03 am

crumhorn wrote:Shouldn't the collective pronoun for thieves be "A gang of thieves" or "A den of thieves"?

After all you wouldn't talk about a herd of grapes.
:lol:

I personally prefer "shower", as in "a shower of bastards".

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 am

But fear not! Just bring with you a fresh download of the Live demo, and it will work. Actually the license will work for two full weeks, which chould be helpfull if/when your out touring. And when it times out, just download it again. But by then you have got a new licence from the Abes anyway.
Wouldn't a non-saving, non-demo install work for performing?

Unless you're planning on saving your project for the show, won't you be able to load up the pre-fab set you intend to perform that night and go to town on the 'you can't save without authorizing' version?

Are there other limitations I'm not aware of?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:36 am

Frankly if a company is fast on reacting for unlocks, it is ableton.

The last time I ruined my OS and thus had to reinstall everything [no disc images available oh my pity]
I mailed support and received unlocks at 10 pm.

chromaform is a kind of funny guy, he creates a ranting topic but no post from him till then.

You just have to mail customercare@ableton.com

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:03 am

love it when someone rants for no reason!

*valentin*

Post by *valentin* » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 am

you want bad service, try contacting Native Instruments.

[stm]

Post by [stm] » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 am

Hi,

to be honest, I do not know how some of the posters got the idea that OP did not own a version of Live. There is not a hint at anything like that in his post. In addition to that, everyone is entitled to her or his own opinion, and while we might disagree with each other, please everyone, try to keep it polite. :)

Cheers,
Stas

just_in

Post by just_in » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am

FWIW, I made a suggestion for a different copy protection. Challenge/response, which Live uses, it's really not that great. It kinda makes you feel like you're renting the product.

I've had a bad experience with a C/R protected plugin in the past, which after a couple of years couldn't be authorized anymore (I was left with old projects that I couldn't work on). Also check out the Kjaerhus story.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 am

If you've registered your copy, I believe ableton email to warn you when you've used your last unlock. I think you can request more unlocks before you need to do an emergency reinstall. The wording they use does imply that they're doing you a favour by giving you more unlocks, which I guess annoys some people, but in reality, they won't refuse unless they see some pretty suspect activity on your serial.

Yeah, no reason to suggest the op didn't pay for it.

And +1 for the shower of barstards.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 am

agent314 wrote:
But fear not! Just bring with you a fresh download of the Live demo, and it will work. Actually the license will work for two full weeks, which chould be helpfull if/when your out touring. And when it times out, just download it again. But by then you have got a new licence from the Abes anyway.
Wouldn't a non-saving, non-demo install work for performing?

Unless you're planning on saving your project for the show, won't you be able to load up the pre-fab set you intend to perform that night and go to town on the 'you can't save without authorizing' version?

Are there other limitations I'm not aware of?
You can download the demo as much as you want. ZERO limitations other then the 2 week timeout. Theres NO NEED for a freakin crack!! And you can thank the Abes for that. :x (<- local zebra smile)