Ableton are a bunch of thieves!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chromaform

Ableton are a bunch of thieves!

Post by chromaform » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 pm

So I reformatted by laptop, installed new version of the OS, and now I'm greeted with this lovely message that Ableton must individually "approve" my license to use the software. I spent nearly $800 on the Live8 suite with the APC40 package and this is the treatment I get? I have formatted this laptop a few times before, and that's probably why I got that message, but seriously? I'm going to make it a point to let everyone know that Ableton are a bunch of thieves. That includes sweetwater.com where I purchased it from. Horrible way to conduct business. Ableton will never see another penny from me, or anyone I personally know who's in the market. What Ableton has done to me is called "theft" in my book. I don't care what anyone else says.

crofter

Re: Ableton are a bunch of thieves!

Post by crofter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Calm down, you just need to Email Ableton with good reason and you will be given further activations.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Unlike thieves, they'll give you back your licence once you unlock it again. I hope you didn't embark on your crusade against Ableton's copyright protection strategy.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Try paying for it next time :)

[stm]

Post by [stm] » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you're feeling this way. The message you received merely means that we'd like to ask you to get in touch with us so we can add unlocks to your license by request. The built-in unlock limit is only there to ensure a single license is not authorized an infinite number of times, I hope you understand why.

Cheers,
Stas

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:30 pm

To the poster: Did you even try to contact Ableton before starting a crusade to slander the company name?

Seriously, you seem like a weirdo.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:04 pm

jrathkopf wrote:Seriously, you seem like a weirdo.
definitely a weirdo.

I can't wait for the OP's dissertation on Live's audio quality.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Seriously, you guys.. :lol:

Gasoline is not the best liquid to stop a fire, but it makes for a potentially great fire show!

fazedup

Post by fazedup » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Chill dude, seriously!! it is a minor problem! email them and you will soon have some more unlocks. I have screwed my computer up so many times and they have always given me more. Think it would be better if you calmed down before mailing them. I personal don't have a problem with the unlock process. Rather have it like this than be stuck to a dongle.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 am

Look at this thief. It's sort of embarrassing, really - I mean, so plainly using cracks and then having the audacity to blame the company when they stop working?

Shame...

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:00 am

Shouldn't the collective pronoun for thieves be "A gang of thieves" or "A den of thieves"?

After all you wouldn't talk about a herd of grapes.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 am

Totally agree with the OP - Live's protection system is a right pain in the arse if you get caught out and seems uniquely able to turn a really annoying reinstall into thoughts of tactical nuclear strike on abletons HQs for sucessfully pissing you off so much with ther damned week-day only manual approval system, or even questioning whether you should rely upon their software at all.

Last time I got screwed over by this I had previously emailed them to ask for the unlocks to be put back upto 3 to avoid getting screwed over and they didnt so they earned several utter hatred points for that.

If you need to rely upon Live and be 100% sure of having a functioning laptop for a gig - then you need to make other plans - extra pre-installed computers, fully tested HD clone+restore etc process etc (and remembering to retest whenever you need to remake the clone for eg because you added some essenial plugins you want on the clone) and remember to make rebuild notes so you can actually get up and running in a hurry without screwing it up because you forget something that needed to be done after the restore ... etc.

If you have never been caught out by this by finding out to you horror you only had one unlock when you needed two on a friday eve, then Im sure you find it all rosey and wonderful.
Nothing to see here - move along!

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 am

OP is either comic genius or emotionally a 12-year-old.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:09 am

I've had to contact Ableton a total of three times for more unlocks. They've typically gotten back to me within 24 hours. Really, not a big deal. Do you reformat every 8 weeks or something? Good lord.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 am

I see one point: system breaks down one hour before an important concert. And its saturday.

But fear not! Just bring with you a fresh download of the Live demo, and it will work. Actually the license will work for two full weeks, which chould be helpfull if/when your out touring. And when it times out, just download it again. But by then you have got a new licence from the Abes anyway.