Operator vs VST Instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aejaz

Operator vs VST Instruments

Post by aejaz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:29 pm

Please feel free to dispel my myths:
Aren't there VST instruments out there that do the same thing as Operator? If so, what are the advantages of Operator over those?

udenjoe

Post by udenjoe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:34 pm

I don't think there are many vsts out there that does what operator does. I may be wrong but operator uses frequency modulation techniques, hence the name. There are a few vst emulations of this such as fm7 and probably others but I have to say operator has it's own approach. Operator has a unique way of how each osc effects the others. There are tons of vsts that do the same thing but they sound different. I don't think there is an advantage of an oddity over a minimoog vst or the arp2600 for that matter. It just depends on what sounds you want to get out of it. What do you want to do? I don't think there is an advantage. Either you want to explore a new synthesis or not. It is a new product and Ableton is trying it out. I think they'd be wise to come out with a vst/au version however.

braj

Post by braj » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:46 pm

One advantage VSTs have is they can be used in other hosts as well as Live. And there are some free Win VSTs liky Ganymed that use FM in case FM7 or Operator are out of your price range.

aejaz

Post by aejaz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:39 pm

So does Operator work better (i.e more efficiently e.g. CPU resources) within Live than connecting a VSTi to do something similiar?

braj

Post by braj » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:03 pm

aejaz wrote:So does Operator work better (i.e more efficiently e.g. CPU resources) within Live than connecting a VSTi to do something similiar?
Nope. It's a hog. Personally I think if you want to use it, you should just record it to audio. That way you can use your work in other apps if you like. I used the default preset (just a sine wave) for bass in a reggaeish tune to what I thought was great effect. That one default patch made having it on my system worthwhile.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 pm

Pros for Operator:

- Saves state with Live
- Nice crispy sound
- Simple interface

Cons for Operator:

- Limited feature set
- Costs as much as a more intricate FM synth
- Takes as much CPU as a more intricate FM synth
- Can only be used in Live!

Pros for FM7, Sytrus, and Rhino:

- Complex envelopes
- Many other features Operator lacks(research each one for details)
- More varied sounds
- Same price as Operator
- Nice interfaces
- Can be used in any VST host

Cons for FM7, Sytrus, and Rhino:

- Do not save state with Live, you have to save your presets each time, just like every VST
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.