USB Hub vs. New Interface?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digable Dialogue

USB Hub vs. New Interface?

Post by Digable Dialogue » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm beefing up my studio in the next few months. I just purchased Komplete 7 to acquire more sounds and FX. However I'm thinking I need to increase my hardware rig next. My current set up for stage and studio is as follows:

-Macbook Pro 2.66ghz OSX 10.6.8
-Live 8
-Motif XS7
-Akai MPK-25
-MPD 16 (for drum pad sample triggering)
-APC40
-Dinky 2-Channel Interface
-More dinky, cheap USB hub that had just broken

Now ideally I think I need a better interface for the better pre amps quality. But what I'm looking for is the best connectivity. All my USB ports are occupied with my APC40, MPK25, interface and my old MPD16. The cheap USB port was ok for a bit but had been broken as of last week.

If most of what I want to do is use those pieces of gear all at once, record multiple channels of audio simultaneous and trigger all my Komplete 7 sound libraries, what type of studio interface am I looking at?

Is there even one piece of hardware that does all those function or am I looking at a combo of multi-channel interface, a MIDI device and something else???

Any recommendations???

Thanks guys
Human Agency - humanagency.bandcamp.com

elementv

Re: USB Hub vs. New Interface?

Post by elementv » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:30 am

I'd suggsest NOT using a cheap usb hub. I have had so many issues with bad hubs. Invest in one that is bus powered.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 am

I suggest get a interface that runs on firewire... I have a focus rite saffire and it great... the preamps are awesome, very decent latency as well

Digable Dialogue

Post by Digable Dialogue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 am

Will some firewire 800 interface have a good number of simultaneous recording inputs as well as being able to connect my Motif XS7 to Live 8/Komplete 7?

That's ideally what I'm working towards I suppose. I've went from an M-Box 1 to a cheaper M-Audio interface for the past 9 years and have never had the ability to bring everything under together under one interface while still recording all my bandmates simultaneously. Not to mention the shite DAD converters and pres.

So I guess more recommendations on those advanced firewire?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

yeah, I was thinking that if you had a firewire port you could free up a usb port pretty quickly.. plus firewire is supposed to be better for >2 channel audio.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:32 pm

IF you want to be able to record your band mates at the same time I say get a firewire interface.

They are not alot of interface that use firewire 800, but you can get an adapter to plug a firewire 400 into your macbook.

I have the focusrite saffire pro 40. I have 8 preamps on there and theres room to expand
Your Mbox contained focusrite preamps, If you loved the sound of those you prob will love the sound of the saffire
The converters are prob the best but for the money its an awesome buy.

I have tried the presonus stuff its similar but returned it for the focusrite. The drivers were not as good and the preamps were harsher

Digable Dialogue

Post by Digable Dialogue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Ahhh found a solution for this post finally. Interface with CUE mix for Ableton (which is awesome) as well as a USB hub!!! Check it out. It's the AKAI EIE interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIE/

Peace,
Seamus

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Digable Dialogue wrote:Ahhh found a solution for this post finally. Interface with CUE mix for Ableton (which is awesome) as well as a USB hub!!! Check it out. It's the AKAI EIE interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIE/

Peace,
Seamus
Cool, what about it's preamps?