Ex ableton developers release fist Teaser of their Program

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cool Character

Re: Ex ableton developers release fist Teaser of their Program

Post by Cool Character » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Are you guys just talking about this little picture ??
Or did i miss something ? :?
Remember when Bitwig made that blog post about some guy grinning in front of a laptop?
That was pretty funny. I'd pay them to keep doing that.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Khazul wrote:
Angstrom wrote:My response was extremely mild and contained nothing more than a realistic viewpoint.
Really? More realistic based on what?
If you are intent on having an Internet argument I ask you to clarify some points. As I understand the situation

Your initial point: That the three people who left Ableton to form Bitwig are the only ones who knew the code and left leaving newcomers to try and figure it out. (" all the devs who knew the code buggered off leaving the newcomers to work out WTF their code did")

My point: that is not the case, many people leave, many people arrive, the code is very likely readable. Your assertion isn't likely to be correct.

You said: "it was a semi sarcy / cynical remark ", leading me to believe you didnt really believe what you Initially wrote, but you did it anyway, for unknown reasons, also laying on a good amount of persal attacks on me. Strange.

I responded: chill, if you post cynical pessimism don't complain when counterbalancing un-cynicism is posted. I mention realism, as related to optimism and pessimism.

You ask: how can I claim any sense of realism (with regard to your orignal assertion )

I say this: firstly - because i know they have a good number of long-time programming staff still at Ableton. Secondly: The three guys at Bitwig contributed to Live in varying ways, in different 'departments' and all there for different times. Claes, for example, left his own company (Vember) to work on L8, he worked extensively on Live 8's looper, multi-dynamics and vocoder and then left late in the public betas of L8. I think he was there 18 months or so? A talented dude for sure. But many staff who have been there longer are still there.

Tbh I dont understand your beef.
You are making this personal, I fail to see why.

Ableton have been going for many years and so have a mature ( but troublesome) product, these talented dudes decide to leave to make nice shiny new hotrods.
Making assertions like: " all the devs who knew the code buggered off leaving the newcomers ..." is plainly mendacious (especially from a programmer)
trying to hit me with an ad hominem response. That's not very classy.

Just admit you need a glass of water and a wank, then move on.
;-)
Big love

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:05 pm

FFS

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:41 pm

big love.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

So Solid Poo

Post by So Solid Poo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:53 pm

A MODULAR PERFORMANCE DAW ?
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT !
DEEZ NUTZ ?
BUSTED.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:32 pm

....exactly what i did say in one of my latest postings about Ableton's programmers! Someday someone will write a program like Live and Ableton will have one more company with same concept to fight with on the DAW market. I think it could explain why we are waiting ages for the release of Live 9 and the "updates" for Live 8.....The old Ableton staff is gone? maybe its good, maybe it is bad for Ableton...... 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

chilleddreams

Post by chilleddreams » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm

All you need to get excited is some uncommented GUI mockups? Not even complete mockups, just tiles? Oh wow. 8O
Mac mini 2018 i5 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Sonnet eGPU
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Live 10 Suite, Push 2,
Maschine Studio, Electribe EMX/ESX, Pulse
UAD Satellite Duo

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Is this some sort of a joke? :?

mihai

Post by mihai » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 pm

this does look like some sort of reason/ni/live hybrid. i still do like live's more monochrome
approach for the gui though.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:49 pm

mihai wrote:this does look like some sort of reason/ni/live hybrid. i still do like live's more monochrome
approach for the gui though.
+1

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:04 am

I'll judge it when it comes out, though I'm disappointed that they're going with what looks like embedded plug ins when there are so many great VSTs out there.
Honestly the last thing I need is more VIs, would rather see new approaches to performance and hardware integration.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:19 am

I think the one big thing we're not seeing is the way it operates. For them to make big claims like:
"...on a fundamental level, the way music is created today with computers is still very similar to how hardware studios were used. With an entirely new approach, we want to take the next step in the evolution of the computer music studio..."
then presumably the big difference is more in how it all ties together, and no teaser is going to show us that without giving away the "secret" if you like.

Unfortunately we're just going to have to wait and see.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:56 am

xzusa8ky wrote:Someday someone will write a program like Live and Ableton will have one more company with same concept to fight with on the DAW market. I think it could explain why we are waiting ages for the release of Live 9 and the "updates" for Live 8.....The old Ableton staff is gone?

THIS
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:08 am

After ranting again about Kore's demise in another thread I would hope they (Bitwig) provide an elegant hardware solution that allows for people to not spend hours upon hours setting up performances using various means without any one program being in control etc. In my setup right now Kore and Racks/Live work together to do this, but it would be nice if the DAW did this all itself.... without spending hours and hours learning M4L and making it yourself etc.

Also, dumb name, really, really dumb name.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 am

Machinesworking wrote:After ranting again about Kore's demise in another thread I would hope they (Bitwig) provide an elegant hardware solution that allows for people to not spend hours upon hours setting up performances using various means without any one program being in control etc. In my setup right now Kore and Racks/Live work together to do this, but it would be nice if the DAW did this all itself.... without spending hours and hours learning M4L and making it yourself etc.

Also, dumb name, really, really dumb name.
not as dumb as " reaper"
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.