Lenovo users - please share your experiences...!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
esky

Lenovo users - please share your experiences...!

Post by esky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:42 am

Hi, i'm planning to buy a Lenovo laptop soon, i'm looking at T or W series models, with sandy bridges or a little older i7 processors. Audio card will be a Fireface UC, software is Live 8/ M4L and NI Komplete 7. What is your setup...? Anything specific i have to look at...? Thanks in advance...!

stuartm

Re: Lenovo users - please share your experiences...!

Post by stuartm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 am

Got a W520 recently, with i5. Runs perfectly with my Saffire LE via Firewire (despite having a Ricoh firewire chipset.
The T and W series and well constructed hardware, also heat is never an issue.
Make sure you get the 9-cell battery for max. mobility.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Bump...

Thanks Stuart! Anyone else maybe...? Thanks...!

matthews

Post by matthews » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I have a Y560P (sandybridge i7, 300gb ssd, 12gb ram, 1gb dedicated graphics, etc....) and its a monster. Couldn't be happier tbh. Love Lenovo.

noland

Post by noland » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:36 pm

i use a t500 w7 (64bits) with an rme multiface II cardbus interface. runs smooth like a cat. kontakt, massive and battery are no problem
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

jussi.saarelainen

Post by jussi.saarelainen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Lenovo T61p here, no problems at all.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:52 pm

+1 on the Lenovo T61p - one of the best designed PCs laptops ever in its day - more or less a 15" size, but 1920 x 1200 display and can support two hard drives (one in the DVD/HD slot) and 8GB Ram. Dunno if there is an upto date equivalent now and thats a bit old.

High end lenovos are more or less the PCs worlds equiv of an MBP when it comes to audio work - you will still need to do a fresh format when you get it to get rid of the default install junk and perhaps might need to disable some hardware devices when stressing the machine (not as clean as an MBP), but still its about the best the PC world has to offer.

I was thinking of getting one of their high end ones (cant remember the model now) at the beginning of this year, in the end bought a 2011 MBP17 which ended up a similarish price to what the custom lenovo would have been - and really happy with it - prefer it to the lenovo mostly for runign windows. Lenovo advantages - two drives, slighly more compact for a 1920x1200 screen - mac advantage - just seems loads less hassle for running audio apps in win/7 under bootcamp at very low latency, but to be fair - the latest lenovo's may be just as good.
Nothing to see here - move along!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm

i've got a T500. it's built like a truck and works great... it came with firewire, but 4 pin. i ordered a 6 pin card and use it with my TC Electronic Konnekt 6. no issues with Live. no looking back.

their sales team and warehouse seem a little out of sorts. the paper work looks unprofessional, but the product is rock solid... i've had it going on 2 years in September.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm really more anti mac than pro, but I'm not happy with my t60. love the high resolution screen, the keyboard and I have great latencies with my pcmcia-rme sound card, but I'm not to keen on the external build quality (it may be durable inside, but the external plastic case feels cheap) and little ergonomic details (lowest fan speed is too high with 2800 rpm for example so you hear it even when there is only a minimum heat). I would buy a macbook these days, even if I don't like apple to much.

psaiclone

Post by psaiclone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 pm

i have an rather old X60 tablet and i never experienced any problems
so far. but this a leftover from the old IBM days, it even has an IBM logo
on its surface.

performance is satisfying for me and the small size make it quite portable
it outperforms a newer acer laptop by far ( for audio that is ).

but on the other hand i heard some not so good stories about the
newer lenovos

noland

Post by noland » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:46 pm

psaiclone wrote: but on the other hand i heard some not so good stories about the
newer lenovos
i stick with thinkpads since the t30 series and am a completely satisfied customer. There were ups and downs even under IBM (like the t41 models usb port troubles) but thinkpads were always state of the art quality products and still are. i recommend the thinkpad t series (buisness models). My girlfriend who has to travel a lot and needs a reliable machine has a x200 and swears its the best she ever had.

maybe there are soume issues with the lenovo edge models so go with thinkpads, you will not be disappointed.
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 pm

i'm on my third lenovo laptop now -have the thinkpads from the IBM era, bought like 6 years ago and still up and running. the centrino m 1.86 is on them is obviously grown a bit too old for serious audio tasks but they still are flawlessy running. i now have a lenovo z61t for on the road audio tasks and it just works, core 2 duo 2 gigs of ram (paid 300 euro for it one year ago) is enough for me since serious audio work is done in the studio with a super fast machine.
i really never had any problems with lenovo laptops, both from the old IBM era and the new post-IBM era. definitively worht the money they cost.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 pm

these look good value to me - i7 8gb RAM for $1049, would an MBP be like $2500 with those specs? Or are these faulty models?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... ction=init

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 am

Lenovo T400 here with 32bit Windows 7 for the past 2 years. I get some audio drop out problems sometimes, but overall, its a decent computer although I would not buy another.

Orion Satori

Post by Orion Satori » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:14 pm

I have a G460. DO NOT GET ONE. Horrible smart pad problem. Look it up. You'll find a lot of people with issues.