Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
continuous

Re: Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Post by continuous » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 pm

^^^

I concur... NI did some stupid vids like that as well. Repulsive.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, if I weren't too deeply into Live and various VST's by now, I'd actually consider going back. I'm quite content with Live anyway, and, as the Props don't mention any UI improvements, I'm going to assume they're still doing the same old non-scalable, vertical rack. Also, I'm sure you need their dongle.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:Nice mixer, makes you want to use it.I have to say I prefer to look of 'Reason or Logics' modeled approach - I find Abletons flat/numbers thing rather boring/uninspiring and sort of tiring to look at, (there aren't many drier experiences than programming Operator). I think it works well on the sequencer and clips part tho.
LOL - only thing mnissing from operator is a shell window for typing obscure commands into it :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 pm

they've even got the nerve to go ahead and kill ableton in the comping department as well.
I don't even use reason but all of this dev goin on in the soft world tells me one of two things is going to happen with ableton, either they are going to smash allot of heads next release or it will suck in other words it will either be an overwhelming release or an underwhelming one, I don't think they can afford the grey area, they're like the Obama of daws now.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:51 pm

starving student wrote:...they're like the Obama of daws now.
nice one
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

rkramer4

Post by rkramer4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Man, Reason is insanely antiquated, even after this update. No integrated sampling system? Give me a break. It's 2011 and this stuff has been in most DAWs since 2000.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 pm

I like! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 am

No integrated sampling system? Give me a break.
I kind of agree. Reason could be like Ableton in that the whole program is essentially one big sampler and they just don't go there, which I don't understand b/c they could still keep the beloved stability of a closed system. They have the killer time stretching algo but why can't you drop any audio on the timeline then call up an integrated Recycle to chop it into an NN-XT, Dr Rex or Kong? It seems like a no-brainer. Kong could like a software only Maschine which would be killer IMO. I really could do everything in one program.

They need to fix groups too - I had Record for awhile before selling my license and the mixer sounds great but bussing things with cables and splitters and whatnot is too annoying.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:31 am

rkramer4 wrote:Man, Reason is insanely antiquated, even after this update. No integrated sampling system? Give me a break. It's 2011 and this stuff has been in most DAWs since 2000.
?? They introduced an integrated sampling system last year, in Reason Version 5.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am

reason is great only for the untangibles - some presets that have "mystery" settings behind them as shown when tried to duplicate elsewhere (ex some MAstering Comp, etc.), synth sounds, some gui, etc, etc... justy like logic has some things live doesnt - instruments, midi, etc... when it comes down to it tho, live is my home... theres nothin that can replace it, and no single parameter/setting/whatever of any DAW is gonna steal me from my platform that has to be the most creative ever.... As for Live 9--- take a look at history, folks-- when Propp leaps, so does Ableton. they talk to each other. duh. At the very least, timelines are mysteriously pushed up a lil. It'll come. Ableton already took over your minds (hell, you are readoing this). Next, your souls.... wwwwwhhhahahaha wwwwhhhahaha wwwwhhahahaha (Mr. Henke, free instrument or somethin for the prediction?)
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

Khazul wrote:
cids wrote: I dont ever remember running out of memmory in reason - but not really used it for years now, and Im sure much bigger sample libraries must exist for it by now.
Most serious samplers developers wouldn't waste their time with those samplers. It's very time consuming to map even smaller libraries. I thought Image Line's Direct Wave was the worst sample I've seen but the "advanced" sampler in Reason is a great example of how not to create work flow. 3rd party libraries for Reason's sampler are very limited. The shortcut is to use another sampler that exports to soundfonts and import them into Reason.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 am

McQ714 wrote:not that i am that concerned by it, but will this do away with the "ignition key" that Record needed?

glad i waited to upgrade from version 4 .. i'll give Reason 6 a try when it's released. i kinda miss working in Reason a bit.
Version 6 will now use their proprietary dongle.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 am

Rationalizer wrote:Still no Live 9...

Seems that all the other major DAW companies make new versions but Ableton. Well, at least Live 8 is stable. Wait... what?
It could be worse. Cakewalk use to do annual versions. If you wanted a bug fix it might be addressed in the new version. I kinda respect Live for coming out and saying, "yeah 8 is messy so we won't wait for 9 to fix it".

Migra

Post by Migra » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 am

I think there will be Cubase 9, Reason 9, Logic 9 (already), ProTools 9 (already), Etc........ and Still No Live 9! ¬¬ :cry:
Honestly I love Ableton but Reason 6 looks interesting, I think I'll try it! I hate still No VST Support ¬¬ but looks great anyway!
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:36 am

mholloway wrote:
rkramer4 wrote:Man, Reason is insanely antiquated, even after this update. No integrated sampling system? Give me a break. It's 2011 and this stuff has been in most DAWs since 2000.
?? They introduced an integrated sampling system last year, in Reason Version 5.

-M
?