Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TenSquare

Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Post by TenSquare » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm

And it's 64 bits!
http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/
Come on Ableton, give us Live 9!

doghouse

Re: Propellerhead Reason 6 announced!

Post by doghouse » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Interesting...they've merged Record and Reason into a single application, something noone was expecting to happen.

cids

Post by cids » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Could you explain what's so game changing on Reason 6 being 64-bit? Don't know of any Reason users that couldn't address enough memory for their projects... 64-bit Rewire I understand!
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

im not too keen on reason, but is it true it doesn't support vsts?

dokx

Post by dokx » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Whatever they do, I'll never go back...their limited interface gets much to messy when working on complex structures.

dokx

Post by dokx » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:49 pm

perplex wrote:im not too keen on reason, but is it true it doesn't support vsts?
That's there USP... ;)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:02 pm

cids wrote:Could you explain what's so game changing on Reason 6 being 64-bit? Don't know of any Reason users that couldn't address enough memory for their projects... 64-bit Rewire I understand!
Might allow the NNXT sampler to be more fully used, cache way more audio in memory (so higher track counts). It always was quite a decent basic for sampled instruments, but too many of them and you run out of memory. Most sample libs when I was using it were quite small however.

Not sure about game changing though. Many if us are very keen for Live to make the jump to 64 bit for large sampled instruments, but game changing - maybe for some who hit the memory limit daily on a modern fast >4GB machine with a 64 bit OS. I hit it more these days and sometimes its gets annoying - more because I didnt read the crash dialog box and thought whatever - just another damn crash, so msometimes its takes a couple of crashes to take note of it and do somethign about it.

I dont ever remember running out of memmory in reason - but not really used it for years now, and Im sure much bigger sample libraries must exist for it by now. For me - within propellerhead previously stated scope, I cant imagin there ever being anything that is 'game chaning' while it exists only within a propellerhead product. Its usually only when an idea crosses fropm them to another company who operates in the real DAW world of plugins etc that it gains that potential.
Nothing to see here - move along!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 pm

not that i am that concerned by it, but will this do away with the "ignition key" that Record needed?

glad i waited to upgrade from version 4 .. i'll give Reason 6 a try when it's released. i kinda miss working in Reason a bit.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

still no VST support.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 pm

No MIDI out.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Still no Live 9...

Seems that all the other major DAW companies make new versions but Ableton. Well, at least Live 8 is stable. Wait... what?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

their groove template engine regroove is still the best thing that exist in software, nothing in any app can touch it.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Nice mixer, makes you want to use it.I have to say I prefer to look of 'Reason or Logics' modeled approach - I find Abletons flat/numbers thing rather boring/uninspiring and sort of tiring to look at, (there aren't many drier experiences than programming Operator). I think it works well on the sequencer and clips part tho.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 pm

just in terms of new version releases, this is Propellerhead literally lapping Ableton...

but this also strikes me as Propellerhead going "hmm, the two program approach (Record+Reason) is pretty funky and awkward after all, fuck it let's just integrate Record into Reason"

which I think should have been the approach to BEGIN with, but whatever....

it looks great, though. but I'm a long-time Reason user. But since I mostly just rack it's instruments up and rewire them into Live these days, all this functionality is basically pointless to me; I use Live for all audio recording tasks.

still, totally interesting development for this program, for sure.

-Michael
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Holy fucking shit that "I am a Reason user" video is insanely cheesy.