Can't Afford Live 9 Suite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Can't Afford Live 9 Suite

Post by evon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:20 pm

Probably I could afford an upgrade to Live Standard. However. I am just what you might call semi-pro and from my income I just can't afford 400.00 to buy a software just to play around with.

The main reason for me upgrading would be to experience Glue and we are not getting that in Standard, so it makes no sense for me upgrading. The other alternative Ableton is to go on the black-market. However, I would much prefer to have given you what I can afford and get a much better deal.

It would be good if you remember us loyalists who exist at this level. I think it would be beneficial to you even financially if you do.
fe real!

crumhorn

Re: Can't Afford Live 9 Suite

Post by crumhorn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 pm

Glue does come as standard. The only extra effects in suite are amp, cabinet and corpus.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

evon

Post by evon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Well I am not seeing it among these 37 effects advertised herehttps://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
fe real!

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Glue is in both Live 9 Standard and Suite, it's on the version comparison list.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

Ouch, $400?? I thought the $300 they wanted from me was harsh. Do you not have Suite 8 right now?
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

evon

Post by evon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm

OK, then they remembered us..big up Ableton :)
No, I didn't upgrade to 8, but I will up to 9 Standard.
fe real!

tintala

Post by tintala » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 pm

I want push and 9 but can't afford it.. And already have given able ton 600$ at least,! Now they want 850 for them,,, lololo, economy is slummy USA ain't that good, what the hell are they smokin in berlin.?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Push is 600$ of that. That is a pretty standard price in comparison to similar products. Especially when first released. I don't know why people expect Push to magically appear on their doorstep for free just because they already own Live. It is a piece of hardware (with some unique features).

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Push is 600$ of that. That is a pretty standard price in comparison to similar products. Especially when first released. I don't know why people expect Push to magically appear on their doorstep for free just because they already own Live. It is a piece of hardware (with some unique features).
I wouldn't say that, but why shouldn't someone who owns 8 Suite now not get some sort of discount for continuing to buy everything Ableton put out?
As it stands you're right, the price to upgrade Suite and Push together is reflective of the individual prices if you bought them separately, this isn't really that great of a deal for loyal customers. First off I get that Suite has a lot of mouths to feed, hence the high price compared to a regular 9 upgrade, but in the end it's still worrisome that as of now loyal customers are not being rewarded at all for that loyalty.

That said, Ableton promised that some sort of limited time discount would appear when 9 and Push actually come out.
Personally I hate those sort of things, my income is wildly varied and it always seems I'm broke with no money coming in before the introductory price runs out.

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:Push is 600$ of that. That is a pretty standard price in comparison to similar products. Especially when first released. I don't know why people expect Push to magically appear on their doorstep for free just because they already own Live. It is a piece of hardware (with some unique features).
I wouldn't say that, but why shouldn't someone who owns 8 Suite now not get some sort of discount for continuing to buy everything Ableton put out?
As it stands you're right, the price to upgrade Suite and Push together is reflective of the individual prices if you bought them separately, this isn't really that great of a deal for loyal customers. First off I get that Suite has a lot of mouths to feed, hence the high price compared to a regular 9 upgrade, but in the end it's still worrisome that as of now loyal customers are not being rewarded at all for that loyalty.

That said, Ableton promised that some sort of limited time discount would appear when 9 and Push actually come out.
Personally I hate those sort of things, my income is wildly varied and it always seems I'm broke with no money coming in before the introductory price runs out.
Well, you do get a huge discount on Live. For new versions of Live. Push is not Live. You can not expect Ableton to compensate for your own unsteady income. As for loyal customer discounts. How would that work?
Personally, as a guitarist who's used to dropping a grand every time I want/need a new guitar, I don't mind paying the $850 for Push. I'm sure that Guitar Center will have a payment plan (I always shop there and get loyalty discounts with my preferred player card, they sell all of Ableton's things at the exact same price minus downloadable versions) and I'll be able to test it out right there, in person, to make sure that is as nice as the pricetag, and that it actually feels good to me to play.

Buy all means, buy from Ableton's website and get it in the mail without playing with it first, and get no special discounts. Or you could go to a third party retailer like GC and get identical prices plus payment plans (that reflect all of Ableton's discounts. :))
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 pm

@Eventful,
Sure I get you, but here's the gist, and I'm sure you're aware of this:
As also primarily a guitar player, not so good of an analogy, I bought a Les Paul 25 years ago as a kid.
I payed $450 for it used. It's worth about $2000 now. On the other hand my copy of Live 3 is worth nothing, zero, zilch. In fact I sold it when I sold Live 7 for a whopping $100, 3 to 7, roughly $900 worth of upgrades for $100.

Push is hardware, but it's pretty firmly attached to Live. When Live goes if it ever does, to the wayside, it's a pretty looking MIDI controller.
If it had polyphonic aftertouch like the new Keith McMillan keyboard I could see paying $500+ for it, without, it's a specialized piece of gear that at this moment isn't being sold at any discount to customers that have Suite 8 etc. The McMillan keyboard is going for $150 BTW, I know where my money is going. 8)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:08 am

I know that this is just my opinion but, the most similar products I can think of are MPC, Maschine, Spark. (I assume that Push will ship with a limited version of Live 9?).

I'd go into unique differences amongst the four, but it really just comes down to personal value of the features of the programming and the hardware itself. It is personal preference.

As for the Suite upgrade, from my perspective it is exciting to delve into the world of M4L. Suite versions are expected to have all of the everything, and as with anything 'deluxe', it tends to come with a price. If it proves to be unpopular, maybe people will postpone or altogether skip future purchases from Ableton.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:38 am

yur2die4 wrote:I know that this is just my opinion but, the most similar products I can think of are MPC, Maschine, Spark. (I assume that Push will ship with a limited version of Live 9?).

I'd go into unique differences amongst the four, but it really just comes down to personal value of the features of the programming and the hardware itself. It is personal preference.

As for the Suite upgrade, from my perspective it is exciting to delve into the world of M4L. Suite versions are expected to have all of the everything, and as with anything 'deluxe', it tends to come with a price. If it proves to be unpopular, maybe people will postpone or altogether skip future purchases from Ableton.
Valid points! Here's hoping for a decent introductory price and enough time given to where I can continue to support Ableton with my meager cash. :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 am

Guess I oughta grab a paddle. I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately my passion outweighs my fear of debt :P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:20 am

yur2die4 wrote:Guess I oughta grab a paddle. I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately my passion outweighs my fear of debt :P
I just bailed out a credit card this year, $11,500 from living through the mortgage crisis in 09.... I have no wish to go back to that.
Even thinking about how I roughly paid $9,000 in interest mostly on that makes me ill. In all fairness I also bought a house at the same time, and could easily recoup that 9 grand in profit off the sale, so I can't cry too much.

One of the simple goals of 2013 is to continue to be debt free. \m/

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 am

Eh, nevermind.