so the Beat thang is actually at my local bestbuy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
perplex

Re: so the Beat thang is actually at my local bestbuy

Post by perplex » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm

starving student wrote: wtf I'm not gonna spend 500 on a damn midi controller.
maschine is not just a midi controller. but you already know that

anyways. i think the overwhelming consensus in this thread is that "thang" probably works great (and it looks AWESOME to me). But they are bottom line insane to charge 1500 freaking dollars for this. its retarded, while it maybe VERY useful, they are probably gonna market it to folks that don't have much musical background, and are looking for a piece of eequipment that will take them to stardom.

Id pay for two maschine's before I buy this. And that doesn't even make sense. but at least i still will have half a grand in my pockets

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:29 pm

ok starving student. from what i remember i think i was the one that talked you into the maschine.. so I'll bite here and head to the best buy and check it out.. although i'm not sure if every best buy has them, maybe only the ones that have a music section..

I'll try to keep an open mind but still, $1500? maybe the samples sound good but the sounds with maschine are probably as good as well. Maschine to me already has a killer workflow so it would be interesting to see what this "thang" has to offer as far as workflow.. Portability seems to be the only advantage over maschine. but again i can't get over $1500. It just seems to be marketed to people who are less educated about this stuff, the kind of people who buy Beats By Dre Pro $300 "studio" headphones because of it's image.. probably the same people who bought the Dre Dre HP laptop, the "first laptop designed for music" with the built in 2 inch subwoofer.. and lastly the name.. really? is it to give it instant street cred?

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 pm

well I put it on hold, they only have the demo and 1 un-opened in stock at the store near me. they told me yesterday I could take it today but then the manager today said no since they have a contractual agreement with the dev for release on the 17th at all bestbuys, still it's worth checking out if you can it's fun little piece of kit and demos are out right now but I'll be picking up the one they're holding on sunday morning.

@ nux - yeah man it was you and glitch that + that $200 price that got me to get maschine, one of the best purchases really.
beat thang is a whole other 'thang' so to say haha, now we're all saying that we wouldn't pay the asking price for beat thang but what about you guys that paid the asking price for the mpc-1000 or 2500, seriously the beat thang is spec'd out way better than the mpc so how do you feel about what they're charging for the mpcs? btw I wouldn't even consider the sound library man, it might be good but if it can't stand on it's own without it I wouldn't be interested, same with maschine.

I agree the marketing is a little silly but for sure it's all business under the hood, I'm going to spend one week with it as i'm very curious if the software has any bugs or whatnot, nux when you see it and feel it you will def be suprised by the quality of the build.

so I gotta question for the big brains on the forum, the beatthang has some kind of opensource thang going on for it's fx, what do you know about its viability?

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 pm

and nux when you check it out, check out the fx and mast sections work flow, it's something else, really the workflow is done quite well on this maschine imho so far.

btw you'll be hitting the edit button and then the fx buttons.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 pm

$1500 is not out of the question...an MPC1000 is $950 and the MPC5000 is $2000.

2be

Post by 2be » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 am

omg, this is _ridiculous_. Looks like a toy. And "Beat Thang", seriously?
I guess the only advantage above Maschine would be the possibility to use it standalone with batteries. But that's about it.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am

Seriously....specs look great....seems like they spent a lot of time to get this thing dialed down.

How is it for looping?

Does it go over 103 bpm? :P

It's only gonna be a matter of time till you see these things selling second hand for super cheap....then you will see somebody rocking a house/breaks/electro whatever.

Seriously though....put that thing in a box that looks like a mpc, with all the extras and you have, to a lot of people, is a serious contender/winner.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:24 am

Turntables not instruments?

Birdy nam nam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KKKs0f ... re=related

Ok I'm not a dj and just a music maker coming from guitar playing.
But really a music instrument is whatever sounds good.

Take a thin tea box, add a rubber band to it and you got a great own made chord instrument + a tiny gong drum percussion.

Peace

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:56 am

\m/

totally sloppy to groovy tight.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 am

where the hell you been tone, talk some sense into these people as arctic was saying if this thing had square pads and akai written on it or anything other than beatthang it would be living it up in the choicest musical dens.
I read the faQ on their site and they are getting ready to add a step sequencer, .... another idea they got from maschine no doubt, it apparently has an open sourced os, I'm not really finding good info on this, does anybody else know more about it's open soured aspect?

somebody needs to contact these guys and tell them how to say 'beatthang' in swedish cause the botique
electronic crowd would love a machine spec'd like this.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:17 am

I am fascinated by the social understory of this product, Since I've been researching it for a few days I have encountered more bashing against this product than any other product I've ever seen or heard of.
and On the mpc forums where you would think they'd have the most support there has been such disgust and vitriol for this drumsampler it's simply amazing. I almost want to buy this machine just for the fact that so many people hate it :lol: I think the first run of these things just might be a collectors item.
Now the beat thang development map hasn't been that much unlike the boomchick/lindrum 2 but notice how roger linn and dave smith haven't encountered the same reaction as the beat kangz.
ok lets be serious, of course we'd probably laugh at roger linn and dave smith if they called themselves the beat kangz and on top of that they are both legends and that cannot be discounted, but still you would think there would be a little more hope than hate for a couple of beatmakers doing their own thing like this, they don't have the engineering background for this sort of undertaking but have somehow mangaged to pull this off which would be a feat in of itself but if this machine just works as advertised it would be a spectacular accomplishment.

I also found out that when they first started marketing the beat thang that they talked trash to the mpc forum, said they wanted to battle and blah blah you know the bravado so of course some people took offense to that but still they didn't do anything so bad that would have people hoping and wishing that they wouldn't suceed. you would think there would be some black people out there happy that for the first time some black kids produced a beatmachine and actually got it to market and a big market like best buy at that and I'm sure there are but it seems largely not the case, of course I know there are allot of users out their passionate about the tools that they use like we are about ableton it's only natural I guess so I gotta factor that in as well.

anyway this thing is starting to remind me of a miniature Neko that looks like an asrx

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:48 am

starving student wrote:you would think there would be some black people out there happy that for the first time some black kids produced a beatmachine
I'm with you that a lot of the aversion is racially charged. Even/especially among their own peer group.
I think it's totally unfair.

...but the guy in charge is a fat white dude who dresses like a cholo from 2002. How proud of Eminem should the "black community" be?
Don't get me wrong. I think the idea that this can't be good based on what demographic group made it really bugs me, too.
But a white guy hiding his poor diet in XXXXL sweaters is really, really not a black kid. He's not a black kid.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:43 am

well he's a bi-racial cat which is besides the point whatever he's mixed with it's his black side thats gettin mofos hot under the collar and I know allot of black people who make fun of southern blacks as well which is where these guys hail from, whether this is a fail or not I do hope they made an documentary because its sure to be interesting. I have read some of the things that the beatkangz crew has said when they first came out that wasn't appropriate for any professional businessmen to be saying, they didn't carry themselves with integrity when they dropped their first impression on the mpc forums and I'm sure allot of the hostility comes from that but then again donald trump carries himself with no integrity what so ever and still garners the respect of someone trying to accomplish something. one thing is for certain, this is the first time anybody like these kids has been where these kids are trying to do what they are trying to do and I can at least respect that, would be fresh if this really did turn out to be a collectors item.

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:45 pm

this "discussion" is so useless, I would love starving student to stop making promotion for this piece of kit.
I guess most won't get it because its like 5 years to late.
This price would have been okay back then, but who needs those "mastering fx", which normally don't give you anything, you need powerful gear to do good mastering (or dsp cards, or really good plugins).
Beat Thang failed on the market since Maschine, APC, Spark, Nerve etc. bang the sh1t out of this piece of kit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

EpikureeR wrote:this "discussion" is so useless, I would love starving student to stop making promotion for this piece of kit.
'fuckwittery knows no bounds on the Ableton forum.'
-popslut
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz