Are there different types of mic cables?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
emotionz22

Are there different types of mic cables?

Post by emotionz22 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:20 am

i bought this kind of microphone cable today but as i was looking at my m-audio fast track interface (the fast track 2) i see the mic connection was a female xlr connector ...the cable i bought was the XLR female connector to 1/4" ...i was wondering if i could still use this type of cable for my presonus audio interface...i already know i can't for my fast track which is not a big deal but im concerned for my presonus box...please let me know if i have to take this back and get a diff cable...i also just researched the standard mic cable is XLR male to XLR female smh...thank you

MartinOM28V

Re: Are there different types of mic cables?

Post by MartinOM28V » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 am

What you have is a "XLR TRS cable" which is not normally used as a mic cable, but for more technical studio use that is not applicable to your setup at all. Particularly if you have a powered mic you'll just need to get a standard mic cable (female XLR one end, male XLR the other). If you have a nonpowered mic you could probably get it to work but it won't sound very good. Just take it back and ask for "standard mic cable".
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 am

Yes thank you for the advice i appreciate it and i was confused because on the cover it says HI-z Microphone so that is why i just picked it up not thinking there was another type

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:56 am

Doesn't the Presonus interfaces have combination inputs for XLS, TRS and TS? I thought most interfaces do in fact. My firebox certainly does. That said, I've only tried it with mics using XLR and guitar with TS. Don't see why it wouldn't work with a mic using TRS though, it touches the same pins (I'd guess in the right order- would be stupid otherwise).

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't trust my advise too much. I just always assumed that was how it worked. Martin sounds like he might know a bit more about this kind of thing.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 pm

andydes wrote:Doesn't the Presonus interfaces have combination inputs for XLS, TRS and TS? I thought most interfaces do in fact. My firebox certainly does. That said, I've only tried it with mics using XLR and guitar with TS. Don't see why it wouldn't work with a mic using TRS though, it touches the same pins (I'd guess in the right order- would be stupid otherwise).

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't trust my advise too much. I just always assumed that was how it worked. Martin sounds like he might know a bit more about this kind of thing.
actually you are right, many audio interfaces have combo sockets which will take XLR/TS/TRS, in which case that cable will be fine. although, if you do have a choice, XLR is generally a more reliable connection than a jack.

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:16 am

The TRS end will definitely fit but it will not power a powered mic. Power is supplied through the XLR connector on the preamp. Also even with non-powered mic there's a considerable risk the device would interpret TRS cable as a Hi-Z input signal which translates to quieter input than using the XLR Lo-X input. In other words it's not made for what you want to do. It's primary a studio monitor cable. If you want your mic to sound and work the way it's intended to sound and work you're far better off just trading it for a standard mic cable, especially if you got it from a music store and they let you exchange it.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm

if its "hi-z" then its probably not a TRS but a TS at the 1/4" end. get a low-z mic cable.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:51 am

MartinOM28V is spot on.

It all depends on the Mic used.

The TRS and XLR connections will suite different level signals and will have impedance matched for different devices. A device such as a bass guitar/electric guitar has a difference in impedance than a mic, though different mics need different requirements too.

What is your mic?

I have even had issues where the signal out of a mixer or pre-amp is too hot to feed into an input and required using an XLR to TRS or pad.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 am

jestermgee wrote:MartinOM28V is spot on.

It all depends on the Mic used.
it depends on the mic (whether it needs phantom power) and how the preamps on the interface work (not all interfaces differentiate between XLR and TRS inputs). as mentioned above the best thing to do if you are unsure is to get a normal XLR to XLR cable.