NEWB: Audio recording & loops grief

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jalapeno

NEWB: Audio recording & loops grief

Post by jalapeno » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:09 pm

I need some help on 2 audio related matters.

1. When recording I have read the manual, but I'm not sure I get it. I seem to record a few ms over the target loop length and I just can't stretch or what ever. Should I be using some external audio editor to trim the phrase to the right length ?

2. Audio loops work great, but I have some acoustic samples that need chopping (e.g. A bass riff in all keys and I only want one (natch). Do I need a ReCycle-like tool or can I do this in Live. Again I read the manul which seems to imply you can do as I want but can't get approaching doing what I describe (seems to be setting up slices well before I've told it which bit I want).

Please help as I'm getting despondant over this, and I'm pretty sure this is waht Live's supposed ot be good at (I hope).

supster

Post by supster » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:11 pm

1 - Personally I record my audio clips using a VST called Tapeit 2

http://www.silverspike.com/tapeit.html

Even with all the recording audio features live has, this thing is still
simpler quicker and gives perfect results every time.

Grab any lenght loop, cut precise, trigger by locator, playback, MIDI
trigger, whatever .. normalizes them too automatically

best thing ever, perfect for ableton, gui even matches

2 - Drag your clip over to arrangement view. Zoom in, open the track,
zero in on the clip. Now click wherever you want to cut. CTRL-E

your clip is split. edit and rearrange this way. Then CTRL- J to consolidate to a new wav

For a bass line, zero in on a note this way, split on either side. CTRL J on it to make a new sample.

Drag this into simpler or whatever sampler ... there are other ways to
use simpler to play parts of loops too
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

jalapeno

Post by jalapeno » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:06 am

supster wrote:1 - Personally I record my audio clips using a VST called Tapeit 2

http://www.silverspike.com/tapeit.html

Even with all the recording audio features live has, this thing is still
simpler quicker and gives perfect results every time.

Grab any lenght loop, cut precise, trigger by locator, playback, MIDI
trigger, whatever .. normalizes them too automatically

best thing ever, perfect for ableton, gui even matches

2 - Drag your clip over to arrangement view. Zoom in, open the track,
zero in on the clip. Now click wherever you want to cut. CTRL-E

your clip is split. edit and rearrange this way. Then CTRL- J to consolidate to a new wav

For a bass line, zero in on a note this way, split on either side. CTRL J on it to make a new sample.

Drag this into simpler or whatever sampler ... there are other ways to
use simpler to play parts of loops too
a big THANK YOU !

I will make ham-fisted attempts this weekend .....

jalapeno

Post by jalapeno » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:04 pm

Mixed results - I found a setting in ReCycle which would export discrete Wav Loops individually - which helped a lot.

I also managed to adjust the clips in Live in the event there was a beat missing (or too many).

That's all ok. Thanks for the advice.

Haven't succeeded in doing the same in Arrangement view with much success.

Not enough time to try you hints at recording myself yet.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:26 pm

It occurs to me: you didnt say whether or not you are recording live input (guitar etc) or whether you are bouncing MIDI down to audio

Either way Tapeit - in most cases - works better for me than either recording to a dedicated record track, resampling, or rendering to disk (Live functions)

If Im recording Live input, I put the Tapit VST anywhere in the signal chain I want to - right in the FX rack of the channel - before or after whatever FX I want recorded with the signal

I choose a directory and a filename - Live defaults to the Sounds directory and its own naming scheme - this way I can call it what I want place it wherever I want it on my hdd.

Choose 24bit / 44khz. Normalize auto. Record starts at Locator.

Set the locators in arrangement view to the section I want to record onto - place the start marker 2 or 4 bars before the left locator. This gives a lead in and also lets any Delay fx build up. Set Live to punch in and out with locators. Start playback

As soon as the transport hits the left locator, play. Tapit records what you do as soon as it hits the left locator, stops at the right locator.

Pull up Tapit, commit to disk, done.

If you are recording MIDI clips, its even simpler, especially if there are no delay fx to consider. Just set Tapit to record whatever bar length you want (1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or ever odd numbers) and it will record and stop exactly where you need it to.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

3phase

Re: NEWB: Audio recording & loops grief

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:29 pm

jalapeno wrote:I need some help on 2 audio related matters.

1. When recording I have read the manual, but I'm not sure I get it. I seem to record a few ms over the target loop length and I just can't stretch or what ever. Should I be using some external audio editor to trim the phrase to the right length ?

I dont know if i can explain it in a quick way wright... but in general its better to record clips longer than needed with live because you can make some timing adjustments than...
You do this with the warp markers... When warp engine and loop is on warpmarker No 1 is allready there.. on some materials there are allready an end marker... you better remove that by double clicking on it...

Move marker 1 to the desired loop or sample start, even when its at the beginning its often a tiny bit to early.

(note: loop start can differ from samplestart.. loopstart is however relativ to samplestart and cant be fine adjusted... this means.. you have to move warpmarker 1 precisly to the desired startpoint because it affects the loops timing.. you better zoom in for the fine adjustment)

next step is to adjust the tempo of the clip by holding the cursor on the time frame and moving it... double clickig creates a new warp marker... but you better dont create them now... just drag the time ruler around by click holding to adjust the tempo roughly... zoom in at the end of the desired loop and do the fine adjustment of the timeframe...

Your loop should run in sync now even when the audio recording is too long... Whenn you know the exact tempo you just can type it in after adjusting the start maker ( warpmaker 1)

If the audio recording is too short you have to work with more warp markers... adjust the tempo as told before... with the correct tempo setting the looplength will be too short ( last number of the length window usually red)...
create a warpmarker after the last significant beat or tone... Than create another close to the end of the audio recording... move this forward to stretch just the last bit of the loop until you see the desired bar line...adjust looplength to the desired length...done...
you miht add a marker at the new loop end...

puahhh... difficult to explain... just try... once you got it its easy and quick... and you can loop anything than and dont have to stick with preproduced materials...

jalapeno

Post by jalapeno » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:42 am

Thanks 3Phase - what you say matches what I read in the manual - I guess I'm just lacking confidence at my failed first attempts. I will try again.