is it possible to sync ableton live to cd players?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:52 pm

I see two possible solutions;

1: get a midi splitter, they're not too expensive
2: Set live to slave to cdplayer 1. Set up a midi track in Live, set it to receive the input from cd1 and forward it directly to cd2, I guess that means turn monitoring on.

Have you tried solution 2?

A.

eturnol

midi sync

Post by eturnol » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:35 am

ok thanks for the input.

i was doing a variation of step 2 before. basically everything was the same but i had the two cd players connected together as well. so i took that out because i thought it may have been confusing things.

then i created a 15 minute latency test cd with just percussion for both cd players, and tried it out again.

i was able to get the first cd player, the master, in sync with ableton live, and i can manually sync the second, but it take pretty much constant attention to keep it in sync, so thats no good of course. once i flipped on the sync switch for the 2nd cd player, it just went nuts and fell out of sync very quickly.

i really think its not possible given the intruments i have at hand.

does anyone know of a really good drum machine that sends out a midi clock? how about the tr 909? i have always wanted one of those anyways! :o

any other ideas would be great as well.

waltwhite

Post by waltwhite » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:24 am

Redsound Micro Sync On Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

and I talked to the company in the UK yesterday and they said they are making them again.