OSX Spaces with Live VSTs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Simmo

OSX Spaces with Live VSTs

Post by Simmo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 am

Hi all,

Know theres been some discussion around the OSX spaces feature but cant find an answer to this.

Does anyone know if its possible to have Live (main window) running in one space and the VST's running in another? (Maybe some way to split the processes so OSX sees them?)

Cheers, Simmo

drewbixcube

Re: OSX Spaces with Live VSTs

Post by drewbixcube » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 am

I wish... One of the big let downs of spaces for me. As soon as you switch to the space without Live, the application loses focus. Once Live loses focus, the plug-in windows go into hiding. I suppose it is possible, if you can somehow get OSX to keep it's focus on Live in more than one space. Or maybe if Live were able to have more than one window open at a time...

I get the whole "1 window" mentality of DAWs, but man, sometimes I get really tired of hitting tab/shift+tab and every variation thereof. Please Ableton, at least give us the option to pop out a mixer window.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 am

This is a Live shortcoming, and an odd feature request that I've always wanted to make.
My other DAW Digital Performer does not instantiate plug ins as floating window. The caveat is that you bring the DAW into focus and the plug in hides behind it, but hitting command + tilde brings the plug in back to the front. Once you work in both, you realize that floating windows that glue themselves to the front of the DAW are a PITA, and one of the reasons is the that things like spaces doesn't work, you can't send a plug in GUI to the Dock, (you can in Digital Performer) etc.

Thing is in a live performance situation where time is of the essence, having to mouse around to a track if you've set plug ins to hide/show on track selection, or having to instantiate them in the middle of a song, having Spaces not work with the plug ins etc. all the methods aren't as affective as having plug ins not be floating and not tied to whether or not the DAW is in focus. Digital Performer has the performance relationship with plugs ins that Live should have, and it's not a substitute for Live performance wise, more a studio DAW.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am

Cheers guys,

Yup absolutely agree - the ability to breakout sections of Live (particularly VST's into separate processes) and the mixer seem like fairly rudamentry features of a DAW these days even with the one-window type interface :)

Real shame because Live is the only DAW with a session view under OSX to the best of my knowledge...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Simmo wrote:Cheers guys,

Yup absolutely agree - the ability to breakout sections of Live (particularly VST's into separate processes) and the mixer seem like fairly rudamentry features of a DAW these days even with the one-window type interface :)

Real shame because Live is the only DAW with a session view under OSX to the best of my knowledge...
I think the concession of having the VST floating, as in not able to be behind the DAW, it's considered part of the same process. At least on OSX that's not a choice anymore whether to have AU'S float in Logic, Live or DP, it's either like Live were it disappears when Expose or Spaces are used, or like DP where AU's disappear behind the main DAW but retain usability in Spaces, can be docked and are seen in Expose.