OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Dear Ableton! Do you really think that we believe that? I am still waiting for a stabel version of Live 8 on 10.7! Live is still crashing and is filled with bugs so why in the world should we believe that Ableton will be releasing a stabel version of Live 8 for Lion? Let us all count the months or should i say years! 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

cids
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by cids » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Live beta is working fine on 10.7...
Mac mini 6-core

Genelec M030; Live 10.1; macOS 10.15

Ableton Push 2

Ableton_David
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Ableton
Contact:

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 am

xzusa8ky wrote:Dear Ableton! Do you really think that we believe that? I am still waiting for a stabel version of Live 8 on 10.7! Live is still crashing and is filled with bugs so why in the world should we believe that Ableton will be releasing a stabel version of Live 8 for Lion? Let us all count the months or should i say years! 8O
We'd like to help you sort this out - please send in all crash reports, and contact technical support directly here. Please be as specific as you can about the issues that you're having.

In the mean time, it's a good idea to make sure that you're using the latest stable version of Live 8, which is Live 8.2.2. You can grab it here.

whitebox
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 am

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by whitebox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

I'm using Live 7 - will this get an update to use in OSX Lion too?

petur
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by petur » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 pm

whitebox wrote:I'm using Live 7 - will this get an update to use in OSX Lion too?
So am I, and Live 7 seems to have the same midi out freeze bug.

SlowX
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by SlowX » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:45 pm

petur wrote:
whitebox wrote:I'm using Live 7 - will this get an update to use in OSX Lion too?
So am I, and Live 7 seems to have the same midi out freeze bug.
Ditto here: Live 7 user. Hope to see a Lion patch etc. :)

OlafOverDJ
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Germany, Lake Constance
Contact:

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by OlafOverDJ » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Dear xzusa8ky - how many plugins do you use ?
I made the experience, that plug's which are not correctly programmed can force Ableton to crash.
Make an experiment ... use Ableton only - no foreign VST's or something else - and it will work fine. But I know - thats not a solution.

Almost you see the effect on the Host Software - here : Ableton in this case if it does crash.
Why I say this: I work in my Job with Software in Alpha Stadium - for machinery in Semiconductor Industry. Mostly - foreign Software does crash the host application.

So it is important for Ableton, to receive all Log-Files. We are all in a relationship togehter with Ableton. If they get a proper response from the Users, they will be able to create a more stable software.
Stress and hassle is poison for development.

Most of the crashes I had, did happen, when working on a VST or AU Track - and then it was almost up to 70% any freeware.
Also I take care not to mix up VST's and AU's ... however - I dislike that.

Well - lets see - I will install this Beta Version and give it a try.

xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 am

....almost one week since the Lion release and still no update for Live? That is the good old history again! We have to wait! What is soon for Ableton?...Weeks? Months? Years? or maybe decades.... 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

SlowX
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by SlowX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:....almost one week since the Lion release and still no update for Live? That is the good old history again! We have to wait! What is soon for Ableton?...Weeks? Months? Years? or maybe decades.... 8O
I don't think we'll have to wait decades.
I mean, by then we'll at LEAST be using OSX 10.8. ;)

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm

You guys are insane if you update to Lion right away. Live would be the least of my worries. Audio interface drivers. Plug-ins. Servers for things Novation automap, touchable, griid/kapture pad etc... no way hose.
Professional Shark Jumper.

shayneo
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by shayneo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Ableton need to hurry up on this. Unfortunately for work reasons I *had* to upgrade, but I'm now stuck with bloody garage band and I've had to turn down gigs which means this delay is getting expensive.

Ableton had *plenty* of time to identify this problem with the developer pre-releases.

I can only assume its the #1 priority right now, but we need to know how many more days this will take for simple logistics reasons. Should I buy a second mac to run snow leopard?

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 pm

shayneo wrote:Ableton need to hurry up on this. Unfortunately for work reasons I *had* to upgrade, but I'm now stuck with bloody garage band and I've had to turn down gigs which means this delay is getting expensive.

Ableton had *plenty* of time to identify this problem with the developer pre-releases.

I can only assume its the #1 priority right now, but we need to know how many more days this will take for simple logistics reasons. Should I buy a second mac to run snow leopard?
What kind of work makes you upgrade to the newest operating system? My work takes a very long time to ensure compatibility and stability before ok'ing an OS upgrade. Do you work for a macstore and is your personal mac a display model?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Fanu
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:50 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:09 am

At least Ableton announced it will before Lion came out that it's not fully compatible.
So if you upgraded to Lion...you know you can also blame yourself ;)

Piplodocus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

Fanu wrote:At least Ableton announced it will before Lion came out that it's not fully compatible.
So if you upgraded to Lion...you know you can also blame yourself ;)
I didn't see the official announcement it didn't work before Lion (except that 8.2.4b3 stopped a Lion related crash), but I still knew I was being a twat installing the first day, hence my backup plan.

At least we know it still works if you turn off multicore support, or if you don't send MIDI out if the situation's desperate! Not much help for high-CPU projects with MIDI out though. I always have a spare partition with a second OS on anyway as it'd be just my luck that one OS would pack up right before a gig!

Still can't wait for the proper update though. :roll:

pr0jekt2501
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:25 am

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility: Live update coming soon ?

Post by pr0jekt2501 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:You guys are insane if you update to Lion right away. Live would be the least of my worries. Audio interface drivers. Plug-ins. Servers for things Novation automap, touchable, griid/kapture pad etc... no way hose.
my audio drivers work (motu). the plugins i use have already been updated to work with lion, and some of them are by single developers. i'm using one of the most expensive DAWs on a mac, and lion has been available for a couple of months to developers to make sure their software works with it. disappointed again with ableton. i'm hoping they'll have a version out very soon that works with lion, but with no concrete delivery date its anyones guess when that will happen.

Post Reply