why so much secretism about Live 9?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
anybody human
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by anybody human » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I wasn't aware of any secretism around Live 9. It isn't close to being released so there's nothing to talk about, other than feature requests. When there's a forthcoming release, I'm sure they'll start talking about it.

glenn303
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by glenn303 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:51 pm

shweta wrote:Hi,
"Secretism" refers to the active invocation of secrecy as a source of a group's identity, the promotion of the reputation of special access to restricted knowledge, and the successful performance or staging of such access.
Obviously live 9 emerges only after the successful completeion of live 8.2, definately it will contain some more extra features.

Tnx,
Shweta
Mumbai Residential Property
Image

DEEMUSIC
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by DEEMUSIC » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:36 pm

A program that cost as much as live suite you would expect a very stable program, if you brought a car that cost 100k and its needs repairs to it all the time and others complain about the same model how can you justify selling it at that price. Live is a fun piece of software to work with but its no fun when its not stable I hope they don't rush it I can wait, the way I spend my money is more important to me now and I want something that's gonna work and not rob me of the fun factor that is why I brought live.
Last edited by DEEMUSIC on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

agent314
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by agent314 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:17 am

Most of the limitations I hear of with 8 are basically bugs. There aren't a lot of missing features. The big ones that I always hear about are
- Record automation to clip
- Bezier curves in automations
- 64-bit support

These would be nice but people have been asking for them since at least Live 5 IIRC. I don't think we'll see them in 9.
If they don't include some form of 64-bit support in the next release, I'll be very surprised. Sample libraries and VSTs regularly take up multiple GB by themselves these days, and having a limit of 4 GB memory (in reality, 2.5-3GB) will frustrate a lot of people who are already butting up to that limit now.

lapieuvre
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by lapieuvre » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:10 am

If they say live 9 is coming soon, they will see the sales of live 8 go down.

At least this is what I think...
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Live 9.7.6 Suite
Live 10.1.2 Suite
Soundcards : FF800, Apollo Twin duo

Machinesworking
Posts: 11101
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:21 am

lapieuvre wrote:If they say live 9 is coming soon, they will see the sales of live 8 go down.

At least this is what I think...
Hence the "Buy Live 8 now, get Live 9 when it's released for free!" promotions every time the new version is in beta. Nobody tells much about their upcoming products DAW wise until it's almost cooked, nothing new there. Personally I'm not too worried about 9, main thing will be 64 bit support I'm betting, and my guess is the alpha versions will be stable! :)

Cool Character
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 am

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by Cool Character » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:42 am

glenn303 wrote:Image
**No** no spam? Ever?

Never stop the spam barrage?
Really?

glenn303
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by glenn303 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:35 am

Cool Character wrote:
glenn303 wrote:Image
**No** no spam? Ever?

Never stop the spam barrage?
Really?
Now that i look at it that way...... :lol:

dokx
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by dokx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:i mean other software companies talk open and wide about their new and upcoming releases...


:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Not true.

So what next?

anybody human
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by anybody human » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm

A few months ago I contacted tech support about installing Live on my new computer. I asked about 64 bit and was told they were already programming that way, but no one knew wether it would come as an update to Live 8, on Live 9's release, or as an update to Live 9. He didn't give anything away, except that Live will be 64 bit at some point. So from this I can only gather that they're already working on Live 9, and it will be 64 bit at some point. I took this as good news.

The Coil
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by The Coil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 pm

steffensen wrote:They most certainly do not. Logic anyone?
Also, WHO have said theres is a v9 on the way? Just because there are so many naive threads about it, it must be true?
I cant handle the v9 frenzy, its all over the place. Whats wrong with people.
Are you kidding me? People are excited about a new version of the software they love, one that hasn't had a new version in over 2 years, a new version that could have major fixes and new features, and you're wondering what's "wrong" with people"
What's wrong with YOU, friend?

The Coil
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by The Coil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm more excited for Live 10, when is THAT coming out?

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I am more excited about making music. I can update my music as often as I like, I make new versions of it regularly. No one knows what Live 9 will offer. It doesn't exist. I am not getting excited about a unicorn horn modelling synth. I am not getting impatient about Live 9. Live is just a tool to realise ideas. If you're bored of Live 8, frustrated by its toolset, change what you do.

skatr2
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by skatr2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

I know live has come a long way over the years...and while 7-8 wasn't a HUGE change as it was from 6-7 (or was it 5-6?). Point being, while new features are always nice and welcome, have people truly pushed live in its current form to the point its a useless tool and they NEED some new features? What I see from a lot of people is they don't even use most of the internal synths and prefer to go to other VST's by default. Not because live synths are bad...but because they prefer the sound of others. Live in itself seems more preferred as a sketch pad and a place to bring ideas to fruition. Or at least thats the vibe I get from these forums. Even if they came out with an awesome mastering suite, would you consider it before running to the cubases and logics? Reason's been coming up with ways to improve their final sound over the past few updates and they are still regarded as the bastard stepchild of the recording world. Fun to play with, but will never amount to the status of anyone else in the music family.

I've messed with live for years and only recently got serious with it. By that token I have a ton to learn as is and truly am not in a position to look forward to an environment change or a workflow change. Still getting comfy with the current one. I just don't see the huge push for new. Nobody has remotely touched the features present in the current setup. And I don't personally see all these "bugs" that many openly complain about.

rsaulo
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Working

Re: why so much secretism about Live 9?

Post by rsaulo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm

skatr2 wrote:I know live has come a long way over the years...and while 7-8 wasn't a HUGE change as it was from 6-7 (or was it 5-6?). Point being, while new features are always nice and welcome, have people truly pushed live in its current form to the point its a useless tool and they NEED some new features? What I see from a lot of people is they don't even use most of the internal synths and prefer to go to other VST's by default. Not because live synths are bad...but because they prefer the sound of others. Live in itself seems more preferred as a sketch pad and a place to bring ideas to fruition. Or at least thats the vibe I get from these forums. Even if they came out with an awesome mastering suite, would you consider it before running to the cubases and logics? Reason's been coming up with ways to improve their final sound over the past few updates and they are still regarded as the bastard stepchild of the recording world. Fun to play with, but will never amount to the status of anyone else in the music family.

I've messed with live for years and only recently got serious with it. By that token I have a ton to learn as is and truly am not in a position to look forward to an environment change or a workflow change. Still getting comfy with the current one. I just don't see the huge push for new. Nobody has remotely touched the features present in the current setup. And I don't personally see all these "bugs" that many openly complain about.
IMHO people does not NEED improvements or bugfixes just because as you say, they rarely use 50% of the tool. It´s because people need something NEW, something to bring new ideas and as today "musicians" think, they need tools, tools, tools and more tools to be busy...

All of us have GAS, that´s only because of this... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post Reply