step sequencer like JX3p sequencer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
greenscreens

step sequencer like JX3p sequencer

Post by greenscreens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm

im trying to find a M4L sequencer where you input the notes before hand and then play rather than realtime record step sequencer... much like the one found on the jx 3p. anyone? thanks in advance

Hermanus

Re: step sequencer like JX3p sequencer

Post by Hermanus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm

JX3P and stepsequencer?

The PG200 that comes with jx3p is not a sequencer but a programer to tweak sound but never to trigger notes.
I never sequenced this synth internal but with an external sequencer.

Sorry this is totally Off topic but I don't understand your post as I owned a jx3p and the pg200.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

the jx3p has a sequencer on it, i didnt mention the pg 200 at all so i dont know where that came from, just regarding how the sequencer acts on the jx3p

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:09 pm

The JX3P (and many other synths) have a simple step sequencer where you hold down some keys, press a button to record that step, then hold down some more keys, press to record that step, etc.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 pm

right, i understand how it works im wondering if there is a step sequencer that functions similarly in ableton, i know a lot of step sequencers were made with m4l but i havent found any that function this way

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 pm

so the step sequencer works by hitting keys, these are saved into the step sequencer. you then advance on to the next step, press keys, save these to the step and so on. i think you can do this with midi clips. with m4l I'm not sure if the live.step object can be polyphonic - other wise yep, you configure it to work that way.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:27 pm

is there anything already built like this?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Live 8 actually has a 'step sequencer' which works a little like the Jx3p era roland one.
it does require a little bit of mouse work, and it's not perfect, but then that's life.

How:
  • open a Midi clip up, the editor I mean, then activate the 'headphones' note preview icon
  • remember to arm the track
  • click on the midi clip timeline, at the beginning, to set a cursor line (it's red in my skin)
  • hold down a note or a chord and press the arrow key (->) on your computer keyboard
  • there, you just inputed a note
  • take your fingers off the keys and tap that arrow key again to see the cursor advance and write a gap
there are a few other tricks available, keep pressing the arrow while holding down to lengthen notes. etc. I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere.

It's quite functionally limited, and it's infuriating to use - in that you lose focus on the midi-pane often and swear a lot. In that regard it shares many commonalities with the Jx sequencer. ;)

I used to have to program those roland sequency bastards on stage, from a piece of paper, under strobe-light. 15 or 17 step sequences were very popular.

<edit>

I realised that there's probably an explanatory video on the interwebz showing all this, so you can ignore my waffling above and just watch this if you like ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWN3M1RIw4