Live Dubstep drums & bass- using triggers & apc - new video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
John Arkell

Live Dubstep drums & bass- using triggers & apc - new video

Post by John Arkell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Just made another video with a set up i mentioned on here before.. (minus the alesis - selling that if anyone is interested)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0srTrSWQkZc

any thoughts/questions or feeback welcome :-)

John

BlackMath

Re: Live Dubstep drums & bass- using triggers & apc - new video

Post by BlackMath » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Dig the track but i wouldnt necessarily call that Live...

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 am

I like the style. I do the same type of thing but don't use triggers. Ya need to hook up with a nasty synth player and a bassists and you'd be making some solid music

Need more folks like these
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

John Arkell

Post by John Arkell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:24 am

@Blackmath - what do you mean? the acappella is triggered at the start of the song... I'm with you on that...

but the rises, start/stopping of synth samples & automation I am controlling on the apc. The 2 separate kit parts are looped so I am free to do this, would having another person triggering these things, whilst I played the same kit part be more live?

In my view having 1 or 2 musicians in charge of more than just a single instrument is just as live as having a player for every detail of a track, there is surely more performance involved in this than perhaps your typical dj set no?

@headrick - I may have misunderstood, but I am playing the synth in this particular track, and we do have a bassist, he's the other guy... with the bass.

software like ableton allows us to be as lazy as we choose... it's up to you how much you should or shouldn't be doing... I like that most music lovers these days are savvy as to what is going on when you see a band or 'live' act... but i think it's important to know what's going on before you decide how live something is for your particular taste. ... maybe there should be a 'live quota' ha ha... e.g. 75% of any sound heard must have originated from a human action...

sorry i've really got carried away here... thanks for watching anyway. :-)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 am

I'm guessing he meant it wasn't 'live' in that there wasn't an audience in the room with ya

cramos241

Post by cramos241 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 am

stoked to see some live instruments in the mix always. curious what your bassist's set up was. is he doing a bass-midi kinda thing?

aizo

Post by aizo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:36 am

I would love to hear the actual kit doing some kind of polyrhythm on top of those loops. But I dig the song yo!
ImageImage

John Arkell

Post by John Arkell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:17 pm

@cramos241 - Chris insists on keeping the ocscilators and anything that creates his 'source sound' coming from the bass and anolougue moog + line 6 M9 pedals. then in this demo i am using midi cut-o-matic and auto filter lfo's, plus lucifer vst to effect the signals/patches he sends.

we are considering some sort of midi converter to completly change the bass into a midi synth, but i think it's important to keep the best of both worlds (i hear they are very expensive and perhaps not neccesary)... i have some new ideas about automating the bass signal using more complex automation... will keep you posted on that one... Like in this one I can play any midi synth parts perhaps.

@aizo - agreed, next video is gonna finally be with some acoustic drums... i'm gonna try and keep the triggered stuff for loops only, then really let rip with cymbals and acoustic drums & perhaps percussion. all in good time. finding time to rehearse and try out ideas practically is a pain.

thanks again for listening, really appreciate it, makes me feel like less of a dweeb for trying all this.

laters.

John

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 pm

John Arkell wrote:@Blackmath - what do you mean? the acappella is triggered at the start of the song... I'm with you on that...

but the rises, start/stopping of synth samples & automation I am controlling on the apc. The 2 separate kit parts are looped so I am free to do this, would having another person triggering these things, whilst I played the same kit part be more live?

In my view having 1 or 2 musicians in charge of more than just a single instrument is just as live as having a player for every detail of a track, there is surely more performance involved in this than perhaps your typical dj set no?

@headrick - I may have misunderstood, but I am playing the synth in this particular track, and we do have a bassist, he's the other guy... with the bass.

software like ableton allows us to be as lazy as we choose... it's up to you how much you should or shouldn't be doing... I like that most music lovers these days are savvy as to what is going on when you see a band or 'live' act... but i think it's important to know what's going on before you decide how live something is for your particular taste. ... maybe there should be a 'live quota' ha ha... e.g. 75% of any sound heard must have originated from a human action...

sorry i've really got carried away here... thanks for watching anyway. :-)
Great stuff as always Mr. Arkell!
I'm with you on the "live" thing. I have a friend who used to insist that everything had to be triggered a certain way or it wasn't live lol.
I don't understand how a DJ can trigger loops all night and that is live but throw in a drum kit and now there are special rules.
But anyhow, I am digging what you guys are doing and I love that the gap between electronic and traditional music is fading.
Keep up the good work buddy!
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

No i meant in the sense that the video is edited and its seems to me that it wasnt one captured performance.....more like a music video
But it doesnt matter anyway and i dont want to rag on you for semantics
I dig what u guys are doing so dont listen to my silly remarks

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

@John Arkell sorry man, I'm not sure if my post came across wrong but I was agreeing with you.

I love what you guys are doing and I was simply stating how I thought it was silly how some people don't consider performances to be live if they don't meet certain criteria.

I am a drum-jockey as well so I know how much effort goes in to playing and controlling Ableton simultaneously.

Once again, didn't mean for it to sound like I was arguing with you because that is definitely not the case.

Cheers.
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Very cool,

Saw the Vids 1 to 3 as well.

Really nice work :D
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:03 am

really interested in the details of the setup, especially the drum setup.