automation and effects for multiple tracks.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Slomeed

automation and effects for multiple tracks.

Post by Slomeed » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:46 am

Hey all, I have 3 semi noob questions.

1. When I am on record mode and I make a change with a filter for example, I turn the record button off, and it automatically returns the filter to its initial point, not where I moved it. How can I make it so when I move the filter will stay where I moved it to after I turn the record button off?

2. How do I make an effect so that it effects a group of tracks but not all the tracks?

3. Before converting a midi file to an audio clip, how do I make it so that an automation will have an impact in the audioclip?

cheers

perplex

Re: automation and effects for multiple tracks.

Post by perplex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 pm

2. group the tracks and put your effect on the group track

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Slomeed wrote:3. Before converting a midi file to an audio clip, how do I make it so that an automation will have an impact in the audioclip?
your choice of words might be throwing me off a little... but... you cannot make an impact on audio that you do not have yet.

i think this is what your asking to do:

if you route your MIDI track to an Audio track you can record the output of your MIDI track with all the effects and automation.
the resulting track (or clip) will be audio so all effects and automation from your MIDI will then be permanent (on the new audio clip).
then, you can disarm or delete* your MIDI track.

*remember if you need to make adjustments you will have to go back to your source material - in this case, your MIDI track. so disarming is probably the best choice until you're certain that everything is perfect (like right before your final mix down). MIDI tracks do not use much in terms of resources so hard drive space etc. will not matter.

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

H20nly wrote:
Slomeed wrote:3. Before converting a midi file to an audio clip, how do I make it so that an automation will have an impact in the audioclip?
your choice of words might be throwing me off a little... but... you cannot make an impact on audio that you do not have yet.

i think this is what your asking to do:

if you route your MIDI track to an Audio track you can record the output of your MIDI track with all the effects and automation.
the resulting track (or clip) will be audio so all effects and automation from your MIDI will then be permanent (on the new audio clip).
then, you can disarm or delete* your MIDI track.

*remember if you need to make adjustments you will have to go back to your source material - in this case, your MIDI track. so disarming is probably the best choice until you're certain that everything is perfect (like right before your final mix down). MIDI tracks do not use much in terms of resources so hard drive space etc. will not matter.

hmmmmmmm seems right i guess. OP you can go ahead and listen to him, i deem this information ok.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:26 pm

perplex wrote:2. group the tracks and put your effect on the group track
Hmmmm... this is only right if the version of Live you're using is 8. otherwise group tracks did not exist in Ableton Live.

i deem this information partially correct with the potential to be completely wrong.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Slomeed wrote: 2. How do I make an effect so that it effects a group of tracks but not all the tracks?

OR, you can use Sends and Returns. Set up a Return Track with the FX you want on them. Set all the tracks "audio outs" that you want effected, to "Sends Only." On each of those tracks turn up the Sends for the corresponding Return with the FX on it.

I prefer this method over grouped tracks.