NI KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate - Wow!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
headquest

NI KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate - Wow!

Post by headquest » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 am

http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/08/01/ko ... announced/

Awesome!

I'm not a Native Instruments customer before, but the idea of the whole thing on a plug and play external drive really adds to the temptation. Time to save up some money though... lol.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

studiologic

Re: NI KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate - Wow!

Post by studiologic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:03 pm

headquest wrote:http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/08/01/ko ... announced/

Awesome!

I'm not a Native Instruments customer before, but the idea of the whole thing on a plug and play external drive really adds to the temptation. Time to save up some money though... lol.
with the ultimate package... does the samples stream from the usb2 drive that is included... or do you have copy the patches to your harddrive/external harddrive...

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 pm

That's for me the big question. If it all runs directly from the provided hard drive, then I'm interested.
But there's no way I'm installing 250GB of stuff onto my laptop, most of which I'll probably rarely touch! :lol:

Listen on Soundcloud

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:20 pm

'Komplete 8 Ultimate arrives on a USB2 hard drive, with the whole shebang ready to rock ‘n roll'

make of that what you will...

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 pm

macmurphy wrote:'Komplete 8 Ultimate arrives on a USB2 hard drive, with the whole shebang ready to rock ‘n roll'

make of that what you will...
if the included harddrve is 7200... then it is a go for me!!!

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:27 pm

If we take that at total face value, wouldn't we need to direct Live to look for plugins on the external drive? Not possible to have more than one VST folder, so there must be some sort of install process on your own hard drive I would have though...

Listen on Soundcloud

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:37 pm

headquest wrote:If we take that at total face value, wouldn't we need to direct Live to look for plugins on the external drive? Not possible to have more than one VST folder, so there must be some sort of install process on your own hard drive I would have though...
Wouldn't it just be copying the .dll's to the VST directory and then having the VST point to the hard drive for the samples and presets?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

toph

Post by toph » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:44 pm

AceLuby wrote:
headquest wrote:If we take that at total face value, wouldn't we need to direct Live to look for plugins on the external drive? Not possible to have more than one VST folder, so there must be some sort of install process on your own hard drive I would have though...
Wouldn't it just be copying the .dll's to the VST directory and then having the VST point to the hard drive for the samples and presets?
I guess there'll be an installer for the whole software/sample-bundle on the harddisc, that installs all of the software components (plugins, standalone versions and service center) onto your main harddrive and lets the samples where they are. Just copying the dll-files will surely not do the trick, because the NI-stuff needs their service center to activate the plugins.

But I'm very sure, that you don't have to copy the whole sample content and then lay the NI-harddisc on your shelf.

EDIT: Ok, it seems my guess was a wrong one. The HD really seems to be made to waste on the shelf. :roll:

C.
Last edited by toph on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:15 pm

That would have made perfect sense, but now the official info is available from NI, it seems that in fact you do have to install the whole 240gb onto another drive, rather than using the supplied hardware :o :(

Listen on Soundcloud

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah it's definitely a great deal for a newcomer. As is the regular Komplete.

Not much new in Komplete 8 though. The upgrades are getting less and less exciting. New effects in Kontakt and a better timestretch. ok. A sort of effect rack macro device in guitar rig and a couple new amsp and effects. sure.

I don't know. Given that I'm still on Komplete 6, maybe there's enough reason to upgrade to to 8, given that all the sounds will be ready to go in Maschine. But they'll probably provide that anyways.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm

My main problem with NI is I bought Kontakt, Kore, Reaktor, and Battery separately. At one point I upgraded to Komplete 5 and then to 6. Throw in some random Kontakt, Reaktor, and Kore libraries I bought in there as well. I have so many damn NI files on my drive that I don’t even know where I would begin in an attempt to clean it up and get rid of redundancies. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:47 pm

beats me wrote:My main problem with NI is I bought Kontakt, Kore, Reaktor, and Battery separately. At one point I upgraded to Komplete 5 and then to 6. Throw in some random Kontakt, Reaktor, and Kore libraries I bought in there as well. I have so many damn NI files on my drive that I don’t even know where I would begin in an attempt to clean it up and get rid of redundancies. :x
didn't you just get a new iMac? i'd say the redundancies are done... you get to do a fresh install of all of it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:09 pm

headquest wrote:That would have made perfect sense, but now the official info is available from NI, it seems that in fact you do have to install the whole 240gb onto another drive, rather than using the supplied hardware :o :(
It's always going to have to be an installation. Or else you have to move tons of files manually to places like your application folder, your plug-ins folders, you library where all the presets go and all the rest of the settings.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:My main problem with NI is I bought Kontakt, Kore, Reaktor, and Battery separately. At one point I upgraded to Komplete 5 and then to 6. Throw in some random Kontakt, Reaktor, and Kore libraries I bought in there as well. I have so many damn NI files on my drive that I don’t even know where I would begin in an attempt to clean it up and get rid of redundancies. :x
didn't you just get a new iMac? i'd say the redundancies are done... you get to do a fresh install of all of it.

Noooo. I cloned my drive. :P

Saves tons of time, but I agree it quickly gets rid of that fresh smell. :x

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 pm

As for the external drive I believe that is only for installation to internal or other external hard drive from what I read about it. Secondly, WHAT THE HELL IS NI DOING? They JUST released K7 not long ago THIS YEAR. And K8 includes only 2 updated instruments (Kontakt 5 and Guitar Rig 5 Pro) and includes some more content than on K7 update (90GB samples vs 110-ish MB) and maybe some more effects. I can't believe they aren't even offering an UPDATE option at this time as well. I got K7 due to 50% off which I couldn't really pass up to get Kontakt 4, GR-4, and Absynth 5, worth $114.50 I paid to update from K5 to K7.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.