How to get that warm/analog sound (e.g. MPC) out of Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
think2x

How to get that warm/analog sound (e.g. MPC) out of Ableton?

Post by think2x » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi,

I am very, very new to the production thing. I have picked it up as a hobby, pretty late in life I might add. I like to think it is a better use of my time than video games and TV. Anyway, I have mostly used it to make hip hop style beats with sampled drums and various plugin for the other sounds. I have dabbled a bit with sampling as well. A friend of mine has an MPC 1000 and we like to take the same sample, perform our own unique chops, him on the MPC 1000 and myself in Ableton, respectively. Then we each make a beat and compare. From simply thinking about how each component works, comparing the final results and from what I've read it would seem the MPC produces a "warmer" sound thanks to the sound passing through the analog components (I'm sure that's a gross simplification, like I said, I'm new). I was wondering if there was a particular effect or utility that I could use in Ableton to replicate said sound. Maybe some type of mild, warm reverb? I've seen a lot of people use products like PSP's Vintage Warmer compressor on the master..would something like that produce the desired result?

Thanks for reading

andydes

Re: How to get that warm/analog sound (e.g. MPC) out of Ableton?

Post by andydes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm

There's nothing analog about an MPC1000. It uses 16bit/44.1kHz samples, the same quality as CDs. The DACs (digital to analog converters) may be better quality than what you have in your computer's sound card / audio interface. Or maybe you just prefer the sound of them. Are you using the computer's built in sound?

There's lots of plug ins to add warmth though, if that's what you're after. Dynamic tube, amp and saturator can all be used for this. Bootsie's Variety of Sound plug ins are good (free, PC ony).

think2x

Post by think2x » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Yes, I'm using a Dell E1505 with a Sigmatel 92XX sound card. I really need a new system. I thought that maybe a tube effect could do the trick. Sometimes the explanations in the Ableton manual make me a little :?. I've been at it a few months, so I haven't had time to do much experimenting. Thanks for the reply, I'll give those PC plug ins a shot.

heppareppana

Post by heppareppana » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 pm

you could try routing your audio out to a mixer and back if youre looking for certain kind of warmth. Something like cheap 4 track behringer mixer would be good for this, maybe a slight hardware eq adjustment here and there.
I think the trick is to make the sound leave the digital realm for a while..it lets the audio breath when it can leave the box for a while..
There is no rational reason why i think that my silly Yamaha RM1X hardware sequencer with its cheap 90s synth samples sounds alot more musical than my 24 bit audio coming out of my focusrite hardware..but i trust my ears more than the inttternetz.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:20 pm

there's some stuff here: http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/f ... simulation

If you are of the persuasion for commercial solutions, and keeping things in the digital realm, Vintagewarmer is definitely good for this sort of thing. You could also check out Camelphat, which also will add a sense of analog warmth, and does plenty more as well with distortions and filtering.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Guess what, to get anLogue sound you need to run your audio signal trough analogue gear. Ableton's external effect plugin is your friend.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 pm

You can run / record your final mix through a DJ mixer. I have a four channel Rane mixer I run a channel through just so I know how it will sound when I DJ.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

think2x

Post by think2x » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Ah, man I didn't even think about routing the sound through I mixer. I have an old Stanton 2-channel "battle-style" DJ mixer and I think this idea could work. For some reason the thought of doing that just never occurred to me :oops: , I just assumed everyone kept everything digital and used effects. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 pm

In case you have old cassette recorders like Fostex or Tascam, try also recording your beats on them and then recording back to Ableton.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 pm

If you're looking for a bit of lo-fi, this could be a good idea. However, your original question was about getting the mpc sound, which is definitely digital. I'm not sure if the mpc has additional processing on the output, or if it just sounds better than your current soundcard. Upgrading the soundcard only affects what you record through the inputs or play back. It won't make any difference to a track to make internally and render to a digital file.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm growing quickly fond of this and the price is right:

http://www.dadalife.com/?page_id=965

pay no attention to the cheekiness of the advert - it sounds cool.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Saturator and compression? Something to add a smal amount of harmonic distortion? I've always been struck by how nice MPCs sound as well.... the whole digital/analog debate is a bit bla bla bla, but yep I've been with people who assumed the sound they heard was coming from decks, not something that usually happens with laptop sets.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

andydes wrote:If you're looking for a bit of lo-fi, this could be a good idea. However, your original question was about getting the mpc sound, which is definitely digital. I'm not sure if the mpc has additional processing on the output, or if it just sounds better than your current soundcard. Upgrading the soundcard only affects what you record through the inputs or play back. It won't make any difference to a track to make internally and render to a digital file.
And I was in impression, that as I had hidden word "also" in the middle of my suggestion, it would become clear, that I'm not referring to the original question but sharing a tip.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
andydes wrote:If you're looking for a bit of lo-fi, this could be a good idea. However, your original question was about getting the mpc sound, which is definitely digital. I'm not sure if the mpc has additional processing on the output, or if it just sounds better than your current soundcard. Upgrading the soundcard only affects what you record through the inputs or play back. It won't make any difference to a track to make internally and render to a digital file.
And I was in impression, that as I had hidden word "also" in the middle of my suggestion, it would become clear, that I'm not referring to the original question but sharing a tip.
Yeah, I know. And I said it was a good tip. I also realise you weren't the first to bring up the subject of running through analogue gear.

But the OP said he/she was new to this and there seemed to be a little confusion in the question, so I thought I'd try and clarify how the digital audio / analogue audio thing works (or as best I could with my limited knowledge, from a crap phone with tiny screen).

Of course I'm only replying to this because i read the tone of your post (if there is such a thing) as you being offended and defensive, when you might just be taking the piss. I love it when internet arguments start up between people who actually agree with each other.

Laters.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:47 pm

forget trying to sound like anything, forget the effects, forget routing to external gear, forget 'that analog sound' bullshit. just work on making clear sounding music with nice dynamics that you enjoy. you're just starting out, forget all the voodoo crap some people talk and just learn the tools, it's a pointless distraction.

IMO the MPC thing has to do with the workflow and the MPC's swing. the method by which samples are chopped and then beat out on the pads, it can sound very loose. it also has a very simple effects section so I think people don't muck with their samples as much, overthinking the sound and screwing it up. overall it's not an exact of a DAW as a computer, there's slop, lovely lovely slop.

consider this, generally speaking, music sounds better when it's louder. often sound complaints are nothing more than the output being turned down too low. google it, "louder is perceived as better." forget trying to trick your sounds to be analog, just focus on the basics, the rest will come.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz