Do people actually use arpeggiators?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SnoopWess

Do people actually use arpeggiators?

Post by SnoopWess » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 am

I have ben wondering about this for a long time. Personally, I feel like arpeggiators are "cheating". I mean, some other person in the world wrote that patter. How can using one be creative and original? Do people use them? Do pros use them ever? Are they royalty free? I know a lot of people in here are going to hate on me for saying it's cheating, but whatever.. I'm just curious. Let me know what you think either way. Thanks.

Tweaking Knobs

Re: Do people actually use arpeggiators?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 am

SnoopWess wrote:I have ben wondering about this for a long time. Personally, I feel like arpeggiators are "cheating". I mean, some other person in the world wrote that patter. How can using one be creative and original? Do people use them? Do pros use them ever? Are they royalty free? I know a lot of people in here are going to hate on me for saying it's cheating, but whatever.. I'm just curious. Let me know what you think either way. Thanks.

then stop using a sequencer and a sampler and do it all yourself , maually... duh...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:27 am

nobody uses them.... ever..
IT IS cheating!
:lol:
and nobody likes a cheater...

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 am

Personally, I feel like arpeggiators are "cheating". I mean, some other person in the world wrote that patter. How can using one be creative and original?
Don't play the piano, cause someone else built it. Playing anything that someone else built is cheating.
Build and design all your instruments from scratch, and if any of them are software based, write the software code, after you come up with an original language to write your code in........

Good luck with it all :roll:

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 am

Sibanger wrote:
Personally, I feel like arpeggiators are "cheating". I mean, some other person in the world wrote that patter. How can using one be creative and original?
Don't play the piano, cause someone else built it. Playing anything that someone else built is cheating.
Build and design all your instruments from scratch, and if any of them are software based, write the software code, after you come up with an original language to write your code in........

Good luck with it all :roll:
But first build that computer.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:53 am

To answer the original question, yes, I use arpeggiators, but rarely.
I find it not too easy to make them do what I have in mind, so often I´m better of programming the notes manually.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 am

dancing Ray wrote: But first build that computer.
:lol:

But it will not be a 'computer'...

It will be an original music maker box thingy.

Sorry :wink:

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am

SnoopWess wrote:I have ben wondering about this for a long time. Personally, I feel like arpeggiators are "cheating". I mean, some other person in the world wrote that patter. How can using one be creative and original? Do people use them? Do pros use them ever? Are they royalty free? I know a lot of people in here are going to hate on me for saying it's cheating, but whatever.. I'm just curious. Let me know what you think either way. Thanks.
When you say someone else 'wrote' that pattern, I don't really believe that's correct. I think it would be more correct to say that someone programmed the arpeggiator to respond in certain ways to your input. It's up to you to 'play' the arpeggiator (and adjust its parameters) creatively to come up with unique sounds, melodies & chord progressions.

I would think the patterns that result are too basic to be considered an 'idea' in themselves. Maybe some presets on advanced arpeggiators would be complex enough to be considered an original idea, but really these are there to show off its capabilities - you're supposed to use these as inspiration and come up with your own.

Most of the time I hear arpeggiators being used succesfully they aren't the main genesis of the track. They might have 'inspired' the composer to write the tune but they are never front-and-centre for the whole thing. You definitely don't need to worry about royalties! Well unless you're arpeggiating a sample or something...

I hate the term 'pros' but if you want examples some of my favourite arp uses are Son of Flynn from Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack and Everyday Should be a Holiday by the Dandy Warhols. I was gonna mention Baba O'Riley but apparently that was just a basic note-repeat which I suppose you could consider to be a basic arp. Actually Everyday Should be a Holiday is very basic too, more of a rhythmic repetition than melodic.

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

u can use an arpeggiator in some very creative ways, so you couldn't call it cheating.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am

You didn't make yourself so don't do anything.

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:04 pm

I've been trying for ten years to do random arpeggios by hands over 6 octaves. It's worth it !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:25 pm

^^ :lol:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I use arps a lot in dance music. First of, I could never play that tight and fast myself! Second, it lets me focus on a lot more expression parameters, then I could if both my hands were playing keys, pads or strings. It lets me focus on envelope expression, glides, filters/wovels, lfos/vibratos, etc.

PS. You can optionally use midi clips in Session view as arps. Assign a bunch to your keys or pads! Also, on midi clips you can add your personal humanized (even randomized) grooves. ;)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Sometimes when I am at home I put FM8 behind an arpeggiator, set the distance to 1, the velocity to 10, turn the decay all the way up, and activate hold. Then I pick a cool sound and hit one note. After about 30 minutes, some house cleaning, taking a dump, making dinner or whatever, I will hit another note on my keyboard, then maybe I will do some M4L patching and periodically reach over and hit another key.

I fucking LOVE arppegiators!