Midi triggering at any point?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cezik

Midi triggering at any point?

Post by cezik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 am

Hey! I've been looking for the solution (in there is any...) but couldn't find the answer.

My question is: is it possible to make a midi note so it will be triggered any time?

Example: I have a midi track with some instrument. I start to play. When the "playing bar" reaches the first note
I can hear the sound. That's normal behaviour. The sound can be heard as long as the note is visible.
And now, when I want to hear how the other note sounds I cannot just put the mouse on this note cause it won't play.
I should put the bar before the note and let it trigger the sound. So my question is - is it possible to put the bar
anywhere on the note and to hear the sound?

Thx in advance!

Cezband

Re: Midi triggering at any point?

Post by Cezband » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I think because of the nature of midi, it can't work like that. the midi note is triggered at the start and the length of the bar only decides how long the note is held for - starting half way doesn't trigger the note itself so nothing is heard. It kinda makes sense why this is the behaviour - when midi notes get sent to an instrument, the sound is being generated in real time so asking a generative instrument to start producing the sound as if it was half way along (imagine an evolving pad sound, for instance) is a bit much and would lead to all sorts of horrible complications for the instrument itself.

The best work around is to freeze the track, which will make Live read it like audio and so it will play from any position. The only downside is that you'll have to keep freezing and unfreezing whenever you want to make changes to it.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

That's correct it is the way MIDI works. There are note on messages and note off messages.

Therefore the visual representation in Ableton of a bar is a little misleading, there are two separate messages one at the end and one at the beginning.

broc

Post by broc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

What you want is called "note chasing", meaning that the sequencer searches for previous note on events.

It's actually implemented in most major DAWs but not in Live.

cezik

Post by cezik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Ok, I get it.

So now I have to figure out how to automate preset change in Guitar Rig 4.

As for now I learned the program to set presets at different notes.
Then I add Midi Track, chose Audio Track with guitar as an Output and
put the proper notes in places where I want to choose another preset.

That works correctly, but unfortunately because of the midi specs you wrote about,
I always have to play the part from the beggining to trigger the preset...
is there a simpler way to manage those changes?