You just stay home and play synthesizers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GDOGG

You just stay home and play synthesizers

Post by GDOGG » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Looking around at maybe buying my first synthesizer and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Complete beginner at this and want something thats easy to get to grips with, not going to break the bank but still puts out some quality sounds. Love getting to grips with new tech and experimenting so some new expressive hardware would be ideal. Just get the feeling that they offer something better.

Thoughts?
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

dancing Ray

Re: You just stay home and play synthesizers

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Budget?
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

well it depends on your budget and preferences really.
What do you value? Are your preference in "quality sounds" those with a pure-analogue signal path such as a vintage MiniMoog, or might they be the semi-vintage digital era pad sounds of a Korg Wavestation ? Or some modern workstation

Do you like patching cables into a variety of knobby looking sources to see what happens, or do you like pressing 'next preset' and being amazed at the wall of sound which emits.

hard to say without an idea of preference.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

I just ordered a Moog Slim Phatty, cant wait till it arrives!

The DSI desktop Mopho caught my eyes too. My suggestion would be go to Vintage Synth Explorer and watch a shit ton of videos and read the comments. Lot's of info over there.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:45 pm

the fact you can get a Juno 106 w/ MIDI for $500 seems like the best deal to me. It's a simple synth, 1 DCO + sub osc, one filter and only one ADSR. However the thing sounds PHAT. i would never sell mine unless i had to. i suggest buying something like this as it's easy and quick to program, there is really no "Menu diving", it's polyphonic (you can play chords) but obviously can set it to monophonic (leads, basslines, etc).

grab something like this, mid rangey, see if you like it and then start asking what you want "more" of (that could mean, more keys, more oscillators, more filter types, more whatever).

Then join a support group as I'm convinced (after being on analog heaven's mailing list for 6 years now) that gear addiction is a real thing :mrgreen:

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

If you have the money then something like the Nord Lead could be a good choice for a beginner. Basic functions, not too much menu diving, all the important parameters there at your fingertips and it sounds good.

DSI MoPho keyboard could be a good choice too if you dont need polyphony. Cheap and _phat_..

I got an used Acces Virus C (rack module) for my first synth and i have learned a lot from it.
Last edited by rosti on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:39 am

Im diggin my Ultranova but havent had time to mess with the cv functions and the vst editor crashes Live alot..hoping they fix that soon

Sounds awesome through a preamp and stompboxes
maybe i should check in on that

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

GDOGG wrote:Looking around at maybe buying my first synthesizer and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Complete beginner at this and want something thats easy to get to grips with, not going to break the bank but still puts out some quality sounds. Love getting to grips with new tech and experimenting so some new expressive hardware would be ideal. Just get the feeling that they offer something better.

Thoughts?
Hardware isn't expressive. That's your job.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 am

GDOGG wrote: Just get the feeling that they offer something better.

Thoughts?
They don't.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 pm

GDOGG,

What's your current rig and what's your budget? Without knowing that any answers are pretty meaningless.

As far as Thoughts, I have some good ones and bad ones :wink:

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Inner... Inner city... Inner city pressure

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:49 pm

main thing, get one with a great interface. I'm into the analog sound, but the main thing hardware offers is hands on controls.There's something to be said for synths with keys if you have the space. A great filter section etc. Personally I would get a dedicated analog box, I'm not a purist so something simple but that will add something to your setup is my thing. Oberheim, or Moog ad the most to a digital set up, though mono. Poly wise can't argue against a 106! :)