About AKAI MPK,MPC and other MIDI controllers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ilya.soloviev

About AKAI MPK,MPC and other MIDI controllers

Post by ilya.soloviev » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 am

Guys, i've been watching through studio pics of yours on this forum and noticed most of you have all those new MIDI controllers like AKAI APC, Launchpad etc... and i really don't understand what are you doing with all those fancy stuff, ok maybe its cool if you play live on stage but why do you have it on your decks in studio? Is this really a big deal? I mean i've been making music for 15 years with just my mouse and midi keyboard and doing all this complicated things with selecting, routing, adjusting, recording, bla bla bla for just writing simple drum pattern looks so time waste for me

maybe i've missed something...

Cheers!

Mixikyr

Re: About AKAI MPK,MPC and other MIDI controllers

Post by Mixikyr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 am

For me, it's just more fun and enjoyable to play with a keyboard/pads and clip launchers.

Do I *need* them? No.

Do I think I work faster and make better music with them? Yes.

If the mouse+keyboard is doing it for ya, by all means keep doing it. But don't be afraid to try some gear every now and then, too - especially not if you've just made up your mind without trying. :D

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:20 am

To use something on stage, you have to learn how to use it. What better place than the studio!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 pm

THIS
agent314 wrote: Do I think I work faster and make better music with them? Yes.
and

THIS
the_planet wrote:To use something on stage, you have to learn how to use it. What better place than the studio!

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:37 am

I use an APC40 in the studio and it really makes me more creative! I would try effect changes on the fly and change clips orders etc... and it really shows me possibilities, which I would not have tried if I'd only use my mouse and keyboard. I can control 2 knobs at the same time, just to hear how it sounds...
It's also really more easier to adjust the fader with a fader on a midi controller than to use your mouse for this.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

I produced for years with just a keyboard and mouse in my beginner days and then after that used just a MIDI keyboard with some faders. I never really saw the need to use anything more.... Until I came across Ableton.

I was using Cubase and had purchased a BCF2000 just to get hands on with the faders for mixing. That proved to be a MASSIVE step forward for me since before I would just concentrate on a single track when mixing levels and having the ability. I then discovered Ableton and the workflow difference. I did months of research and watching vids online and decided on a launchpad since I had the faders already. I instantly began to have a lot more fun and started getting a lot more creative.

I went on for another year just researching how to get myself better setup and what other tools I could use and now I hate walking past my studio without having a play and I love every minute I spend in here.

Nothing is "needed" but s few toys are fun to play with.