A Wellspring Of Inspiration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BlackMath

A Wellspring Of Inspiration

Post by BlackMath » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am

I've been having trouble lately with getting into a creative state of mind
I spend most of my week working on a TV show and when I get some time off I like to hang in my studio and chill
but lately I havent really been inspired and its becoming difficult to switch brain modes

Im making this thread to get links to books, new music,
creative flow techniques
philosophy
teachers
visual art
etc

What inspires you? What are some things you do to break through creative blocks?
Feel free to expand upon it
Go

Heiko

Re: A Wellspring Of Inspiration

Post by Heiko » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:50 am

Walk in Nature, thinking about good things, thinking about life, listening to birds, watching/studying other people's work, going back to the basics, transparency, going to a nice concert, eat the best food in the world, travel to the Himalaya (where I am now), allow myself not to be inspired, remembering old ways of getting inspired, trying to dig deeper, since I want to go deeper...........
Good luck!!!

(last book: Haruki Murakami - The wind up bird chronicles (amazing))
http://www.heikodijker.com
http://www.indianmusiccircle.com
Instead of thinking of Things you have to Think of Possibilities

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 am

Well this is a weekly posted topic so a bit of searchin will uncover a heap of ideas.

To regurgitate tho, it happens!

I have taken to doing field sound recordings. It gets me out and about but I am still working with audio and learning skills plus it's great to get back in the studio and get ideas for songs from everyday sounds.

Seriously, if ur just not feeling "it" then take a break for a few weeks and do something else. Been doing this for over 10 years and I took almost a year out without even creating a thing until I was resparked by the creativity of some of my mates. Also a year of clubbing and festivals really peaked my interest again.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 am

jestermgee wrote:Well this is a weekly posted topic so a bit of searchin will uncover a heap of ideas.
really?
I did a search for "inspiration" and this is the only thread that came up for the whole month of July
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... nspiration

so if this kind of thing is something you cant be bothered with and feel that you are "regurgitating" then maybe you need some too

I'm just asking for some new ideas

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Hey, hey... Whooow on there. I did give you a reply and if I couldn't of been bothered I would have browsed on by without a post.

In the first 5 pages of this forum you should find variants of your question. Search for uninspired, creative block and so on. I've been on these forums for the last 2 months straight getting a handle on people here, gaining knowledge and posting comments and have seen this pop up all the time. I have posted in 2 of these threads so appologies for feeling it's a rehash.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:57 pm

jestermgee wrote:Hey, hey... Whooow on there. I did give you a reply and if I couldn't of been bothered I would have browsed on by without a post.

In the first 5 pages of this forum you should find variants of your question. Search for uninspired, creative block and so on. I've been on these forums for the last 2 months straight getting a handle on people here, gaining knowledge and posting comments and have seen this pop up all the time. I have posted in 2 of these threads so appologies for feeling it's a rehash.

Yeah you're right I'm just frustrated and onery
and I hear you in rehashed threads

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 pm

This is pretty inspiring to click thru - -

http://thecreatorsproject.com/show/meet-the-creators
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:28 pm

The area of artistic inspiration fascinates me, in short I think the muse needs to be wooed.
She likes to be taken on adventures, walk in the country, go clubbing in strange cities and meet interesting new people. She's not averse to popping strange pills and potions, as long as its not a routine. The muse likes to hang around with the passionate guy, the guy with a mission, the dark mysterious troubled guy, but neediness turns her off ... she stays away from that.
The muse is a woman.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:The area of artistic inspiration fascinates me, in short I think the muse needs to be wooed.
She likes to be taken on adventures, walk in the country, go clubbing in strange cities and meet interesting new people. She's not averse to popping strange pills and potions, as long as its not a routine. The muse likes to hang around with the passionate guy, the guy with a mission, the dark mysterious troubled guy, but neediness turns her off ... she stays away from that.
The muse is a woman.

You speaky me language :wink:

bobland

Post by bobland » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Ted.com

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Have a Smoke... :wink:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 pm

try to write about what's most important to you in your life. somethings bound to come to you.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 pm

For me creative blocks usually imply stress at some level. When I finally realize this (again) I take a look around at work load, eating and drinking habits, where my closest relationships are at, my physical fitness levels and look at where I have got off track. I ask my significant others for clarity as well because I know I don't see things well when stressed. I deal with what ever I find.

Things that have promoted creativity for me..

Learn to play another instrument. Buy a $10 plastic descant recorder and a book on sight reading. It won't take long to get the hang of. Its a great way to focus on melody without the distraction of computers, controllers etc.

Go through the playlists of your soundcloud followers and just listen to what they are doing. Make genuine positive comments designed to improve and encourage. This can often result in prompting ideas and receiving some feed back on your own material. If you don't have a SC account... start one.

Pack away all of your controller except 1. Make a 'throw away' tune using only it. This can often prompt cracking the manual and discovering new things about workflow.

I switched DAW's and learn't to use one that a lot of people claimed was 'not serious.' Very enlightening.

Recently I DL'd a program from the Mac app store called MindNode Pro. Its a simple mind mapping tool. I have started to use it to map out articles I am writing for my clients. The idea here is to try to ignite creativity in area's other than music. Getting the juices flowing in other area's is better than none at all.

All the best.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 pm