TouchOSC -> Macbook/Ableton WIFI Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cabletone

TouchOSC -> Macbook/Ableton WIFI Latency

Post by cabletone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I just got touchOSC but the problem is there is considerable latency sometimes (it is inconsistent). Not bad for launching clips but for playing a drum pad not good.

I am connected over WiFi.

What is the best way (lowest latency) to connect iPad->Mac running Live?

iPad camera plug (USB) to Mac?

Line6 MIDI Mobilizer -> MIDI interface?

luddy

Re: TouchOSC -> Macbook/Ableton WIFI Latency

Post by luddy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 am

Couple things I've noticed about this. One is that the latency improves as there is more traffic to and from the ipad. It's counterintuitive but the mbp seems to put its wifi adaptor to sleep on a very short time scale; when there's a bunch of traffic flowing this doesn't happen. Another is that using the physical ethernet port on the mbp improves things a lot. I use an Airport Express plugged into the ethernet port of the mbp, with wireless only between the AE and the ipad. This makes things a lot more consistent. Some folks suggest an ad-hoc network running on the mbp as the solution to this problem, but I haven't found that it gives a consistent latency -- the wireless adaptor still does its tricks, and setting up the ad-hoc network every time the devices need to be paired is way too fiddly for my taste, especially for a live show.

I haven't tried any of the physical cabling things (to the ipad itself), but I have the impression that TouchOSC can use these anyway so it's a bit moot, unless future mods introduce this feature...

hth,

-Luddy

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for the info! I tried doing an AD HOC network and it works much better...

For others wanting to set this up I got info on setting up an AD HOC network from this post:

http://www.osculator.net/forum/threads/ ... 1#post6103

There's a little setup involved but it allows me to stay wireless which is a big plus.

The latency is pretty good. I am not noticing inconsistency anymore.

TouchOSC is amazing....

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Yeah, just create an ad hoc network if you have issues with regular wifi. Wired USB connection should be even faster and more reliable.

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:08 pm

i have it on good authority that you can know use the 'personal hotspot' to connect touchosc over the usb cable. Would love to see this take off...

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... =1#Item_12
i drop on the lokeymassive

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:37 pm

pucklermuskau wrote:i have it on good authority that you can know use the 'personal hotspot' to connect touchosc over the usb cable. Would love to see this take off...

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... =1#Item_12
TouchOSC now does MIDI as well which does work over USB already.