From studio to live act (Techno / House) : need your help!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
TechnoLover

From studio to live act (Techno / House) : need your help!

Post by TechnoLover » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Hey everyone!

I am currently starting to work on a Live Act (my first ever) and I would be really thankful if you guys should give me some tips and/or answer some questions... I always mixed on turntables so I am not really used to Ableton as a mixer but I am really looking forward to start using it!

This will be some kind of mix between a set (tracks bought on the internet) and a live act (my own productions) ... I am not going to start the "Ableton DJs aren't DJs" again but, to avoid that, I would like to play my own tracks "live" and mix the other tracks!

So, first, about the Live Act, I've seen an interesting tutorial here : http://www.cosm.co.nz/index.php?view=ar ... &Itemid=94 ... Is this the best way to build a Live Act ? If yes, I think I should use more elements (thought it would be better to separate all the elements, should I or not?

In a second time, about the "mix" part, how can I add 2 or 3 decks to this Live Act configuration?

I plan to buy an APC40 btw!

I hope you guys will be able to help me!

Thank you so much in advance to share your knowledge with me, once again!

:)

TechnoLover

Re: From studio to live act (Techno / House) : need your help!

Post by TechnoLover » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 am

up :oops:

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 am

UP :$

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

hmmm....?

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 pm

I don't think there is a best way of playing live. You just need to try playing around with different set ups and see what works best for you. Of course, it's always worth seeing what other people are doing for ideas. You've seen Cosm's videos already. Maybe investigate Pitch Black as well, think they've posted their set up here before (all their own stuff, I believe though).

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Everyone has particular preferences to define an "Live" set.

I can share my setup and maybe you can get some ideas.

I like to have 2 tracks for mixing "comercial" tracks that I like, in this tracks I put some effects and the EQ3 to remember an analog mixer.

Then I have another "X" tracks, depending on the number of tracks that my selected productions are using, generally 10-15 tracks, where I have many grouped tracks for drums, fills and pads, melodies, etc

And I always have 1 or 2 tracks with my "go to" synth that is Zebra2 with the launchpad step sequencer M4L patch loaded to mix in with my drums/fills and generate melodies "on the fly", it´s a LOT OF FUN :D :D :D

For playing Live I have an launchpad to fire clips, sessions, sequencers, etc and a korg nanokontrol to control tracks volumes, pan, effects, etc.

Launchpad is "automap" with Live, so I don´t need MIDI configuration, just use as it is, for the nanokontrol I use one remote script http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/d ... eton-live/ to "automap" the knobs and faders to the tracks and selected effects.

I´m working like this about 2 years and feel that the possibilities are endless... :evil: :evil: :evil:

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

When you speak about the tracks from your selected productions, do you keep all the tracks separated or do you group them as in Cosm's videos? You said you got some grouped tracks, how do you "group" them?

The APC40 seems to combine both the Launchpad and the nanokontrol, doesn't it? (more scenes control than on the launchpad and more buttons/faders than on the nanokontrol)

You've answered most of my questions, the only things that remains are :

1. About the "djing" part. How do you handle the EQs of your 2 decks? (How do you "control" them with your controller? Did you map all the frequencies or do you got some kind of "switch" button ?)

2. Most of my productions are mastered by an engineer, but he works on the master only (exported .wav without any mastering effect on the master track) which means that all the elements of my production are unmastered... Have you any advice about this?

Thank you all so much...

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:39 pm

TechnoLover wrote:When you speak about the tracks from your selected productions, do you keep all the tracks separated or do you group them as in Cosm's videos? You said you got some grouped tracks, how do you "group" them?
To make things more "simple" I simply group all drums tracks (Kicks, Claps, Snares, etc) in only ONE group called "Drums", to do this, simply select all tracks and hit Command-G (Control-G on PC).

In the middle of the set if you want to manipulate drum parts isolated you can open the group (the little arrow) and do what you need, as if the track was separated.
TechnoLover wrote:The APC40 seems to combine both the Launchpad and the nanokontrol, doesn't it? (more scenes control than on the launchpad and more buttons/faders than on the nanokontrol)
APC40 is a great controller, and, you are right, combine the both launchpad and nanokontrol. I think that APC40 completely replace the nanokontrol with more features but to launch clips I think launchpad it´s way better, more buttons and the buttons are bigger too. Having launchpad and nanokontrol already, I did not see the need to buy an APC. And now just arrived my iPAD, evaluating now what app to use, touchable or griid, sure that will replace my nanokontrol and launchpad when I became confortable with touch faders and button, now I prefer the "real" ones...
TechnoLover wrote:1. About the "djing" part. How do you handle the EQs of your 2 decks? (How do you "control" them with your controller? Did you map all the frequencies or do you got some kind of "switch" button ?)
When I switch to one of the 2 decks, using the nanokontrol, the remote script automatically maps all controls of the selected effect (EQ3) to nanokontrol knobs
TechnoLover wrote:2. Most of my productions are mastered by an engineer, but he works on the master only (exported .wav without any mastering effect on the master track) which means that all the elements of my production are unmastered... Have you any advice about this?
I don´t know what to do here, maybe if the engineer can give you some directions to master in ableton only some tracks. You always can master by yourself too, it´s not too hard and in a Live situation you does not need to sound "perfect" IMHO.

Live bands does not sound soo good Live as in the studio right? :wink:

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for spending some time for me, man!

So, about the group part : if I group 'em (I already do it !), do you think the APC will only map the group when the group is closed ? That would be amazing :D So i guess I'll be able to launch all the elements with the APC only by clicking on the start button from the group?

About the mastering, you're right! But in electronic music it's needed to have a big sound a big sound system, though :D

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:29 pm

You are welcome!!!

About the group I think that work as you pointed, if the group is closed, it´s mapped to a single button, if is open you will have one button to each track in the group. Need to test this, don´t remember now.

About the mastering, you can always have some good mastering plugins with some useful presets to make the sound "big" without the need to be an "professional mastering engineer". You know, some basic EQ plus a good compressor/limiter do the trick IMHO.

If you want some good advice, Tarekith is a active forum member and have good tutorials about, I learned a LOT from his thoughts.

http://tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html

[]´s

matthews

Post by matthews » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:33 pm

rsaulo wrote:You are welcome!!!

About the group I think that work as you pointed, if the group is closed, it´s mapped to a single button, if is open you will have one button to each track in the group. Need to test this, don´t remember now.
This is correct.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Not sure mastering is necessary live. Most people use it mainly to bring the overall volume to commercial levels whilst retaining the sound quality. On a big pa, just leave yourself plenty of headroom to bring up the level on your own tracks. Mastering may also help glue the tracks together and add a little polish. You can kind of do this with a simple master chain on your own parts- maybe group together and put a global eq and light comp on the group). But as a clubber, I think a big system and live atmosphere makes up for a little roughness in sound. Doesn't have to be exactly the same as the original.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Agreed

matthews

Post by matthews » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 pm

I have a similar take on it, in regards to "mastering" for live sets.

Global EQ on the live channel + limiter

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:50 am

Thank you all for these answers! Most of my questions were covered...