Plastikman's Ableton setup for live shows....crazy

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
JuanSOLO

Re: Plastikman's Ableton setup for live shows....crazy

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 pm

I would say that to the average Live user his set up is very complex. Every time I get to talking with other Live users about what I am doing, I get responses about how simple their set ups are and how my efforts are unnecessary or how I could water them down with automation.

To me what makes Richie's set so interesting is how he tailored a rig to be fun and spontaneous to him, regardless of complexity. He has giving himself access to what he wants to "perform" and leaves incidentals (lighting) to automation. To the Live user who goes beyond launching clips and playing FX on stems, his set is fairly easy to comprehend.

I would say most DJ's get their minds blown because he's using more than a pioneer mixer with one knob for FX on the playing track.

I do like the second video where he talks about musicians whos instrument is technology. I felt like I related to that. Most musicians I know, play one instrument and just do that. Most DJ's I know are simpletons, who scoff at anything beyond beat matching, and eqing with a little delay, or some kaos comb effect.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm

As I said before, I'd love to see him recall a snap with Kapture during a Live performance just to see if it took 5 or 10 minutes to load the snapshot. Kapture is such a great idea, but for me it is useless compared to ClyphX.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:As I said before, I'd love to see him recall a snap with Kapture during a Live performance just to see if it took 5 or 10 minutes to load the snapshot. Kapture is such a great idea, but for me it is useless compared to ClyphX.
How long time does ClyphX use to recall a preset?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 pm

That depends on how much you are snapping. However thats the beauty of it, if you wanna just snap a few things you can, and it's really FAST. With Kapture your locked into limited snapping.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Is he using Kapture or Kapture Pad? One is MFL, the other is Python.

http://liine.net/en/products/kapturepad/

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Is he using Kapture or Kapture Pad? One is MFL, the other is Python.

I'm pretty sure it's Kapture Pad, which I have not had the chance to fully use on a borrowed iPad.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Who decided to record the second interview next to running water? It's hard to here what he's saying. Hats off to RH.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 pm

I believe he only captures faders and send-knobs, so that's not too much data to recall.

Also he has a whole team of people working for him, so he probably just focuses on what he does best - mixing and arranging - while others will work on setting up the live set, the plug- and device-settings, envelopes and routings in a way that works best for him.

Also one has to remember that he is doing minimal - a sophisticated mix of 303s, 808s and 909s mainly, so there is not too much clutter in the mix. Would be way harder to make it sound good if he was working with a free-jazz ensemble with real instruments for example.

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Most musicians I know, play one instrument and just do that. Most DJ's I know are simpletons, who scoff at anything beyond beat matching, and eqing with a little delay, or some kaos comb effect.
That has got to be one of the most arrogant statements I've seen on this board. Is Deadmau5 under an alias or something?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 am

Mage2k wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:Most musicians I know, play one instrument and just do that. Most DJ's I know are simpletons, who scoff at anything beyond beat matching, and eqing with a little delay, or some kaos comb effect.
That has got to be one of the most arrogant statements I've seen on this board. Is Deadmau5 under an alias or something?

Most DJ's "I know," that isn't saying much really, and I am sure they would agree that what I try to do with a performance rig is overkill in their eyes. Wasn't trying to offend.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:28 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Is he using Kapture or Kapture Pad? One is MFL, the other is Python.

I'm pretty sure it's Kapture Pad, which I have not had the chance to fully use on a borrowed iPad.
I'd love to know how he gets it to work reliably. Even with my relatively simple live set up of only 8 tracks, I always have issues with Kapture Pad not recalling all of the controls. It's an awesome idea, but in my experience it didn't work anywhere near reliably enough that I'd want to use it live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 am

Tarekith wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:

I'd love to know how he gets it to work reliably. Even with my relatively simple live set up of only 8 tracks, I always have issues with Kapture Pad not recalling all of the controls. It's an awesome idea, but in my experience it didn't work anywhere near reliably enough that I'd want to use it live.

EXACTLY. I just wanna see it work for him, because I have not heard or seen it work smoothly for anyone, and to have such a huge set up like that implementing Kapture at all???? I'd just have to see it to believe it.

Davo

Post by Davo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 am

White American males, late 20s early thirties, designer hair and stubble. Lots of tracks, some triggering the light show.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

I have been using Kapture & KapturePad and have experienced lag and cpu issues, but I have also had some success with it and find it an invaluable tool, and FUN.

I have included a few quotes from the Kapture forum from Marino Liine. It may help a little.

The lag you are experiencing is unfortunately inevitable, to save and recall parameters Kapture has to access Ableton Live's API through MAX/MSP which has its limitations.

Well the thing is that the lag is incremented by the number of devices that you have and the number of parameters you are capturing for each device. Lets say you have a Drum Rack on one of your tracks in the second group, inside every note of the Drum Rack you have a Simpler you can see how that easily stacks up and can make for a lot of parameters to capture.

Ideally on a live situation you would have 3 or 4 sends with a device or two on each return, and that should be totally fine. If you have a very big Live set or you are using it in the studio with many devices you will have to take into account all the parameters that it has to deal with, again this also depends on the processing power your machine has.

On the lag while checking or unchecking parameters you have to take into account that the moment you click it its going to start communicating with the parameter and if the data pipe is already heavily loaded with other parameters its likely going to lag.

What we do recommend you to do is filter-out the parameters you do not want to recall, by doing so you can prevent some unnecessary lag.
Everything is always captured on a snapshot, and filtering is applied when recalling. So take into consideration that capturing a snapshot will always have some lag.
The GUI has less priority inside Ableton Live than audio, so thats why you will se it freeze for a couple of seconds but rest assured that audio will not freeze and Live will not crash.

Kapture Pad for iPhone or iPad uses a completly different method to comunicate with Ableton's API through a python script and consequently runs MUCH faster ;)

Cheers,

Marino.

marino_liine

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Davo wrote:White American males, late 20s early thirties, designer hair and stubble. Lots of tracks, some triggering the light show.
that just about covers it...