Plastikman's Ableton setup for live shows....crazy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sleepy dinosaur

Plastikman's Ableton setup for live shows....crazy

Post by Sleepy dinosaur » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:54 am

Some of it made sense...the rest I kinda get but.....way beyond me

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2011/08/watch ... are-inner-

matthews

Re: Plastikman's Ableton setup for live shows....crazy

Post by matthews » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 am

crazy crazy routing. richie's been at the forefront of utilizing technology for what seems like forever now.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:58 am

Great routing, wanna try that someday :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 am

Kapture looks fantastic. Big incentive to get Max4Live.

Using Sends as preset devices is clever too.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Is this link still active?

Just sends me to a written article....no video link :(

Could be missing the obvious....anyone ? :oops:

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

working fine here

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Sibanger wrote:Is this link still active?

Just sends me to a written article....no video link :(

Could be missing the obvious....anyone ? :oops:
try direct
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CUq1od ... r_embedded

monohusche

Post by monohusche » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:42 pm

how do you use sends as presets ? anyone can explain ?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:42 pm

I wish they would show how long it takes for Kapture to go from one snap to the other.

luddy

Post by luddy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

His show is very impressive, looks and sounds great. That said, I find Kapture to be really heavy-handed. It captures an unbelievable number of parameters, most of which are not in use of course. It takes a long time to recall a preset in a large live set with lots of devices.

Also, his use of so many return tracks for individual drum sounds is kind of surprising to me. It looks to me like it would be a lot more manageable to use racks for a lot of that routing. For feedback, I can understand having actual tracks instantiated, but surely he isn't using feedback on a very large number of the tracks? Maybe he is though...

Finally, the way the show is actually mixed completely blows my mind. He has a full-blown console on stage on which he mixes, and the output of that console goes ... to the headphones of the actual mix engineer who is at FOH copying his movements by listening to the mix!? Holy toledo I can't even imagine what the heck that means. For one thing all the fader movements the audience hears are at least a couple seconds behind the on-stage mix. I'm gonna be skeptical and say that the FOH is actually mixing the show and the stage console is mostly for show. :lol:

Still great, in any event.

-Luddy

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:36 pm

monohusche wrote:how do you use sends as presets ? anyone can explain ?
Some of his Sends go to effects that are always preset in a specific manner. This way he can use some effects to play around & experiment with, or use those Return channels to drop in different effects on the fly, & use the "preset" effect Returns to always get a predicable effect. It's the best of both worlds! It's a smart move for performance work.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 am

rikhyray wrote:
Sibanger wrote:Is this link still active?
try direct
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CUq1od ... r_embedded
Thanks rikhyray.

Mind blowing setup. 8O

I love Kapture, but when using Kapture, it is easy to bring a live set to its knees, even on a powerful computer.
I'm gonna be skeptical and say that the FOH is actually mixing the show and the stage console is mostly for show. :lol:
It wouldn't surprise me luddy.

I guessing if you were at a show, you wouldn't really give a fuck :)

Is Richie an alien from another world showing us mere humans how to embrace futuristic alien technology?...or just a smart arse?

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 am

Sibanger wrote: I guessing if you were at a show, you wouldn't really give a fuck :)
I wouldn't have, if he hadn't explained what is going on haha. As it is, I'd probably be snapping my head between him and the FOH engineer to see if the latter is really following the movements or not. :lol:

Looks like a great show though, wish I could see it...

-Luddy

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:02 pm

It's not that complicated really!! The audio routing makes a lot of sense (though particularly given he has everything routed through an analog desk, he should still use hardware, not plugins - don't care what it costs on flights!), but all the OSC routing stuff for the visuals/lighting is actually quite simple - just takes some careful thought. And I must say, his music is not a patch on what he was doing 15/20 years ago when he didn't have such a "complicated" set up. While what he has done is cool in a live show kind of way, for me he is far from the being at the forefront of technology use any more as it does not seem to have progressed his music at all which is what it all should be about. Having said that, I do still have a huge respect for him, but mainly for what he did in the 90's/early 00's when he was truly innovative.

I presume I will probably be shot down now for this. Queue abuse!!

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm

ShelLuser wrote:I have to agree with trevox on the complexity part, same idea here.

What also surprised me is that you saw no mentioning what. so. ever. about Max for Live. Even though Max for Live is what's powering that Kapture device he's talking about. Yet he merely calls it "a plugin". Dude... Talk about an understatement right there.

I can't believe that if you're really cooked up in routing and trying to squeeze the most out of Live (also on a technical scale) that you wouldn't somehow come across M4L yourself. At the very least being able to make the distinction between a mere vst plugin or a M4L device (they don't behave the same when dragging in, trust me).

Maybe I'm biased, dunno. When I think of a complex Live set I think of Henke's rain machine. That's not merely a bunch of return tracks, but also those which use feedback; which can go bad really quick if you don't set that up correct (which I discovered on several occasions ;-)).
Wasn't really expecting anyone to agree! And I in turn agree. Though the bigger faux pas is not mentioning M4L for the control of the visuals/lighting. However, I would give him the benefit of the doubt in thinking that he was under the assumption he was talking to music fans, not music makers. If I started rabitting on about M4L patches to friends, they would lose interest pretty quickly. If I explain the basic concepts, they get it!