Bye bye vinyl...but how can I buy the files instead?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
weeksie31

Post by weeksie31 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:14 pm

vince watson wrote:my point being that having only a laptop on stage and standing clicking a mouse for 90 minutes or so must be the most awefull boring 'show' imaginable...
interesting hijacking of my original thread, but cool nevertheless.

Vince, you ever seen the chemical brothers 'live'? who cares if they are clicking a mouse (or even cue-ing DAT tunes), to see those boys rocking to Chemical Beats has been some of my most cherished rave memories...

anyway, as a DJ, live is presenting me with some f*cking awesome possibilities that my 1210's will never achieve. the performance is what the (dancing) crowd hears through the PA, not what the trainspotters watch in the booth.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:32 am

drush wrote:
robin wrote:
drush wrote: many of them sell 256k/VBR or 320k mp3s. i'd rather have wav/aif too and say what you want about compression, but if you think you can tell the difference between a converted-back-to-audio 320k mp3 and native wav/aif... you're imagining things. *especially on 99% of the real PA rigs in existence.
fair comment.

try telling Francois K and David Mancuso that tho :) (take a trip over to the deephousepage.com for more of their opinions on this).
no argument that audio is preferable, esp since we are discussing Live (duh)...but let's be realistic about the fact that FK is FK: he can get any audio file he wants. i respect his comments about fidelity but he also DOES play a lot of digital media... he just is able to do so in the most pristine manner possible. but i say again, while being an audiophile is certainly nice -- especially in a club setting -- you cannot tell the difference. the vast majority of club systems are mono fer chrissake.
heh heh yep that's the flaw i spot in that argument too. most PA systems are rubbish.

drush

Post by drush » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:52 pm

AdamJay wrote:
drush wrote: arguing for perfect 24/96+ apogee A/D converted audio in a club setting is like that twit stewart walker arguing against laptops for live pa's. and what does he use instead: a specialized computer with a small screen and big rubber buttons.
ooooooh my!!!
Stewart Walker in Moscow, July 2005

............................... =)

dallas!

Post by dallas! » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:04 pm

weeksie31 wrote:
vince watson wrote:my point being that having only a laptop on stage and standing clicking a mouse for 90 minutes or so must be the most awefull boring 'show' imaginable...
interesting hijacking of my original thread, but cool nevertheless.

Vince, you ever seen the chemical brothers 'live'? who cares if they are clicking a mouse (or even cue-ing DAT tunes), to see those boys rocking to Chemical Beats has been some of my most cherished rave memories...

anyway, as a DJ, live is presenting me with some f*cking awesome possibilities that my 1210's will never achieve. the performance is what the (dancing) crowd hears through the PA, not what the trainspotters watch in the booth.
Some Re-jacking of the original post......Juno Records (www.juno.co.uk) are about to launch a digital download service....I can tell you....it's gonna be the most comprehensive new(and old, IE back catalogue) of tunes you'll find....due to launch v-soon.....like October I think.

dallas!

drush

Post by drush » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:11 pm

noticed they'd been soliciting participation for some time now. good to hear.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:46 pm

nobody's mentioned the mighty kompakt posse's site?

http://www.kompakt-mp3.net/

this is the only place i have actually bought music on the internet from...from studio one to the new alex under, all your minimal needs under one roof. bleep

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:59 pm

dallas! wrote: Some Re-jacking of the original post......Juno Records (www.juno.co.uk) are about to launch a digital download service....I can tell you....it's gonna be the most comprehensive new(and old, IE back catalogue) of tunes you'll find....due to launch v-soon.....like October I think.

dallas!
wow...that will be cool....

I wonder where it's all going to lead though

I just heard from my label that they're not going to put out my next tune with them because they're having to close their doors. I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later, but I wonder if labels will be able to make any money the new way - there is definitely some merit to the argument that vinyl kept dance music alive for a good whle because DJ's HAD to buy it to play it, meaning more money to invest in more artists etc etc. Are downloads going to generate the same revenue with online sales??

we shall have to wait and see.....

maybe they'll do better??

I know I've always been a lazy bastard when it comes to going vinyl hunting, (then I'm not a DJ) and I spend alot of time on my fat arse in front of a computer...but I dont have a credit card - therein lies the paradox......

drush

Post by drush » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:01 pm

rajcoont wrote:nobody's mentioned the mighty kompakt posse's site?

http://www.kompakt-mp3.net/

this is the only place i have actually bought music on the internet from...from studio one to the new alex under, all your minimal needs under one roof. bleep
purchased from there many o time.
and from bleep... ;