EXPORT PROBLEMS: Track volumes changing?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Joefro

EXPORT PROBLEMS: Track volumes changing?!?

Post by Joefro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Created a pretty simple mix in Ableton to experiment with Guitar Rig 4. Just has a guitar, synth drum track, synth bass track, and synth high stuff. Everything sounds great in Ableton, been creating the track listening on my KRK RP6s. Got everything sounding nice and I export it (.wav) and played it in iTunes and the bass track went through the roof and you can hardly hear the guitar at all.Thought it might just be iTunes doing something weird so I uploaded to Soundcloud and its the same thing:

http://soundcloud.com/joe_fro/reggae-for-randi

Too loud bass track comes in at 20 seconds, too quiet guitar comes in at 40 seconds.

WHY is my mix changing when I export? There is no point in having nice monitors to mix if it all goes out the window when you export. Any help is appreciated, I must be missing something obvious here. Thanks, Joe.
Last edited by Joefro on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joefro

Re: Why do my track volumes change when I export? Help!

Post by Joefro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:43 pm

No one? I am not doing anything crazy complicated here... figure I must be missing something obvious. No one else has had a problem with their mix changing during export? I am at a loss for what to do other than adjust the mix, re-export, listen to check, go back to adjust the mix, repeat... which sounds miserable.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Are you sure that you hit the back to arrangement button before export? You might have hit or clicked on something that changed the level & it's playing it that way instead of how it's automated on the arrange page.

Joefro

Post by Joefro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah, I pretty much work entirely in arrangement mode. The song still sounds fine in Ableton (the only good way I can listen to it right now).

When I go to export, I render the Master track as a wav @ 192k. I have "Normalize" set to Off.

Dither options is set to "Triangular". Is this the default or should I have it set to "No Dither"?

This sucks, song is all finished and ready to be shared and it sounds like crap.

contakt321

Re: EXPORT PROBLEMS: Track volumes changing?!?

Post by contakt321 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Are you clipping any of your tracks or the master?

Are you clipping any of the plugins on any of the tracks?

Joefro

Post by Joefro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Good idea. I checked though, and the only plugins Im really using are a quiet background noise from Absynth. The guitars are also recorded through Guitar Rig, but all of these things Ive just mentioned never really make it past halfway in terms of clipping. The bass track really seems to be the problem that is too loud and drowning everything out. It is a Live8 instrument called "Bass-Blow Tube". Im trying to export using Normalize set to On to see if that helps anything.

Joefro

Post by Joefro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 pm

bump

auditory canvas

Post by auditory canvas » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 am

Post a screenshot of the session view when the track's playing so we can see the track levels etc, I have a hunch as to what's going on, but can't really tell unless I can see it.

NickChurch

Post by NickChurch » Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Did the original poster get anywhere with this? I have the same problem :-(

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Why are you trying to use 192kHz?