Opinions on playing guitar live through Ableton...latency?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Re: Opinions on playing guitar live through Ableton...latency?

Post by agent314 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 am

Guitarig standalone ftw...

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:16 am

I go into an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra now, and use GR inside Ableton. It doesn't have much latency, as the sample rate is way low. I think latency is around 14ms.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I play w/ no effects in Live and get all my guitar effects from my Zoom G9.2tt straight into my firewire solo interface. Very little lag, but don't have the specific ms right now.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

purplesnet

Post by purplesnet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Just got my RME Babyface in the mail today, and it's stable (full cpu load) at 32 byte buffer with a latency of 4.6ms.
So if you want low latency that works even with high load RME seems to be the answer.

Pretty incredible performance, I had an Apogee Duet before and it was clicking at heavy loads with a 128 byte buffer
(around 10ms round-trip, if I remember correctly).

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 pm

yep.. rme has got an ultra-low latency..

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 am

no VSTs... so I guess you don't advise me to use Massive, Absynth, and FM8 alongside my guitar playing? haha. gonna have to do some experimenting with that...I was leaning towards a MOTU from the beginning, and I still am. I've heard nothing but good things about them for live use.
Yep, the only 2 synthetic parts I use are a TB 303 emulator in m4l (something I patched for myself, not the stuff available on youtube) and a rack with simplers with some pretty standard Rhodes sound and some sample base padding solution made also by sampling some real instruments. The rest is really sample/recording/chopping and realtime remixing with some custom pork chops.
The Native stuff for me is really only for TV or post production studio time where realtime is not the issue.
But again, this is MY opinion, and NOT a general rule.
Also, in my opinion, MOTU is good for live situations because of their sturdiness. I started back in the days with a 2408... old times.
But I can also tell you that if you do happen to experience a true(well a simil true) comparison test in a correctly set up environment you will like RME output better.
But again, I wonder how many clubs, venues and whatsoever offer the possibility of sitting in a very well worked out listening environment with super speakers, doesn´t really matter in the end, what matters is the result, and if you happen to feel uncomforable in playing the guitar because of too high latencies, well you know where the problem lies, no?
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 am

I am using natives audio control 1 live with my MBP and latency is not an issue.
But there are sometimes sound cards disconnects with apples new os lion.
I hope this problem is fixed soon because i don ´t want to experience this in a live situation.

p.s. thought about a rme baby face, bc in my studio i am using a RME Digiface which is awesome
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 pm

You should have a look at Christopher Willitz setup. He has a video podcast series on XLR8TR. If I remember right, he splits the signal from his guitar, 1 is his guitar to a line 6 pod, the other from a midi pickup to his interface, into Live. Builds Max/M4L devices of the generative variety. Also sequences visus. It's quite the setup. Charming guy as well.

agar

Post by agar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:49 am

Hi guys, looking for some help re: Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol and Ableton Live 8

couple of problems...

a) When I try and use my Kontrol pedal, after a random amount of time Guitar Rig 4 will just crash/quit.

b) I am running all this on a Macbook Pro - I have a Lexicon Alpha 2 in/2 out external soundcard... when I try and run the Guitar Rig plugin in ableton, there is no input, as I assume it is bypassing the soundcard or something, there is no register of sound, and I tried to see what selecting the lexicon soundcard in the Live preferences but no dice... how do I get this working through the soundcard?

thanks much in advance for any help :) i'm new to all this so i have no idea how to diescribe my problems

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Make sure the track is armed and the Kontrol is set up correctly in Live's preferences. Besides that I'm not too familiar with that piece of equipment. I'd suggest looking in the Native Instruments forum as well, those guys are pretty quick to respond.