reactivating control automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lowendtheory

reactivating control automation

Post by lowendtheory » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi,
Sometimes the control automation on a track turns from red to brown. I guess that means that I have changed the automation? Once this has happened, it seems like any automation on that track is no longer possible. How can I reactivate (or redo) control automation without hitting the 'Back to Arrangement' button up top? I'm scared to hit that button because I dont know what other actions it might erase. Help please...

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:51 pm

anyone? bueller? :?:

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:53 pm

the back to arrangement button is what you want

it returns every track back to its original state

it will only revert whatever youve changed.

if you record and twist knobs, this will overwrite the previous data.

if you play and twist knobs without recording the knobs stay where you turned them until you press "back to arrangement"

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanx Spiralgroove.

Can I just hit the record button and draw the new automation on to that track, or does it have to be done live by twisting knobs?

Im scared to hit 'back to arrangment', because I dont know what Ive done to other trax.

When does 'back to arrangement' get deactivated (turn grey)? Only when you've hit record?

Maybe Im not using enuff ganja or punanny?

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:20 pm

you dont have to be recording to change automation, you can draw it in while the track is paused.

however as soon as you turn a knob "B.T.A." is gonna turn on.

if youre not turning controls in any other tracks they are not gonna be affected...

just experiment with it for a bit and you'll get comfortable with it rather quickly

sometimes i used it by loopin a section in arranger then going nuts on all the effects for a bit and then clicking "B.T.A.", this can have a kinda cool effect...