Is live meant to crash THIS often?!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Mattofix

Post by Mattofix » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:54 am

I have versions 8.1.4 and 8.2.1 and they both crash loads. Is this normal?
Mac Book Pro
OS X 10.6.5
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
4 GB Memory
Live 8.2.1
Audio Interface: Edirol FA-66

antarktika

Re: Is live meant to crash THIS often?!

Post by antarktika » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 am

fairly often for me, seems they've got a ways to go before it is stable.

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 am

I find these post very strange because I’ve been using Live 8.(whatever) for some time and have had very few crashes. Yes, it has crashed but I also know it’s been a plug-in at times that has made it crash. I would seem everyone has been given a personally programmed Live 8 where some crash more than others depending on if Ableton like you or not!

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:45 am

live only ever crashes for me if i run out of memory.

im also finding i can get a higher cpu load running without detremental effects thesedays.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 am

Only cracked versions of Live are.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 am

Whenever I've had serious crashing problems with Live it's been caused by either a plug in or by a hardware problem like overheating, a faulty memory module or a failing disk drive.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 am

The best way to figure out what is causing Live to crash is to get in touch with tech support directly about it. You can contact tech support at http://www.ableton.com/support/contact_ ... al_support

In addition, please send all crash reports to crashes[at]ableton.com

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am

Judging by the sheer frequency and astronomical cluster @#$# that is an Ableton crash; I would say yes - completely intended.

I love Ableton but it's the flakyest DAW I've ever used. The programmers haven't quite figured out how to put a catch all in the code that says "When something goes wrong, don't just crash and burn - report the error message and try to continue". I often find that the problem is that a VST will crash and then Ableton will follow. Another thing that destroys Ableton is when I turn my M-Audio external sound card off. It's as though Ableton has absolutely no crash protection.

The worst thing for me is that the Ableton process just can't be killed!!! Once it's loaded, it's loaded for good. I literally have to reboot my machine when Ableton crashes. If they could fix one thing about Ableton that would be it. A crash is a crash, but how the hell do they manage to leave a process behind that can't be killed? This is Windows 7 by the way.

The system needs to some crash protection.
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

sach160

Post by sach160 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 am

LeifonMars wrote:Only cracked versions of Live are.
Rubbish.

On a separate note, I find live 8 crashes regularly (especially projects crashing on load) but I've learnt to live with it. Unlike some other daws you can at least recover near all of a project by dragging tracks into a new project and for projects that crash while running you can usually recover any unsaved changes. I've been back and forth with ableton support but it seems to be a different 3rd party plug in each time, so I'm not sure if it's really the plugins or some wide problem with live and 3rd party vst integration. I certainly find it hard to believe a plugin that has been working for ages suddenly starts crashing live, when the only thing I've been updating over time is the version of live...

I've also found 8.2.2 crashes more often than earlier versions of 8 but others experience the opposite. It's all a bit random and hit and miss. The only sure fire way of reducing crashing is to not use 3rd party vsts and unfortunately the fairly low quality of live's fx make that unworkable for me. If I was on pro tools I could get by with it's inbuilt fxs but I'm afraid not for live. Still Live is my daw of choice and will continue to be (unless 9 is not 64 bit). All daws crash regularly as far as I can tell. Just try to live with it I guess!

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 pm

"meant to crash"

:roll:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

L8.2.2 is the most stable so far...
but... L8 had been a total nightmare !

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:09 pm

So, OP, try 8.2.2?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:20 pm

822 and no crash for a long time. and i use lots of plugins

packetsniffer

Post by packetsniffer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

maybe there aren't any cracked versions of 8.2.2.

remute99

Post by remute99 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 pm

I still get "A serious error has occured," on a very regular basis and random crashes when opening GUIs - particularly Nexus or Waves plugs.
New to 8.2.2 has been Live, when instantiated with a project, just hanging when trying to load a new project and having to Force Quit on my Mac.
I just save regularly - it amazes me that for the clusterfuck that Ableton have let Live become there's still no autosave built in.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6