MusicRadar's Best DAW vote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: MusicRadar's Best DAW vote

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 am

headquest wrote:
Propellerhead are a really cool company too, and they just don't release a bug-ridden version for early adopters.... just saying ;)

YMMV.
THAT should be the most significant draw..

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 am

3dot... wrote:I'm the one that voted for garageband...
:mrgreen:
No it was me.

These polls are so useless. 90% of voters are voting the one and only daw they've come around and happen to be using. This is more of a market survey of daws of the people who vote in this kind of silly polls.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:41 am

It's more reflective of CM magazine readership too... but interestingly it doesn't seem to influence them very much in terms of market research: since REAPER won last year they still only feature it in a minority of articles.

Recent issues of CM seem to be almost entirely an advertisement for Apple Logic and iPad applications... beginning to wonder if they have some financial link....
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 am

Creator on Atari

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Anyone wanna buy my copy of Suite 8? Based on this poll I'm switching to fruityloops... :roll:
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm

funken wrote:let me just summarise:

Reason - shit

Ableton - incredible

this is an unbiased opinion from someone who dabbled with Reason but never did fuck all because it's so crap.
I don't know what the definition of DAW should include, but from my POV Reason isn't a DAW because of no external MIDI and therefore it should not be in this "poll" in the first place.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:52 pm

funken wrote: let me just summarise:

Reason - shit
... this is an unbiased opinion from someone who dabbled with Reason but never did fuck all because it's so crap.
and...
funken wrote:well, you must be very clever or a masochist, because I never understood those horrible wires on even a basic level. I would get an effect on a drum or something, and then later it would change and I couldnt get it back
So now let me summarise:

1. You think Reason is shit
2. You once "dabbled" with it but didn't understand it even on a basic level.

Hardly an authority then... :roll:

Listen on Soundcloud

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:57 pm

LeifonMars wrote: I don't know what the definition of DAW should include, but from my POV Reason isn't a DAW because of no external MIDI and therefore it should not be in this "poll" in the first place.
In terms of a definition, the clue is in the title: "Digital Audio Workstation". The poll is for the Reason 5/Record 1.5 duo, which clearly fulfils all three of those words. (As of September the two programmes are rolled into one: Reason 6).

MIDI out is a valid feature request, which I fully support, but is not a defining characteristic of a "Digital Audio Workstation".

The great thing is we have these amazing choices, and can all find something that is the right fit for us (or in "funken"'s case, something he can understand). For some that is Reason (quite a few, apparently) for some it is Live (more than a million sales!). And for some of us there's room for both - together they make a pretty powerful setup (and I have almost no need for VST synths/etc because the Ableton Suite + Reason really covers the bases very well).

Listen on Soundcloud

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Internet polls mean fuck all in general and even less to me, so I won't be participating... For the record, I love Live, but I don't feel the need to have that validated by the opinions of the masses.

Who gives a fuck what a bunch of anonymous Internet users (or a handful of cookie-clearers) say is the best software? The best software for making music will differ greatly from person to person according to personal preferences and workflow, so even an accurate concensus is going to be rather subjective and thus useless...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Wrong. There's a huge amount of routing going on within each instrument and effect rack.

Whether you engage with the routing is arbitrary, and it's your choice. Reason and Ableton are both highly complex programmes that do amazing stuff. But equally both has a great preset library for those who don't want to go deeper :shrug:

Listen on Soundcloud

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 pm

The wires are purely a GUI paradigm - routing in Live works mostly the same way, but without the same GUI (and without the CV routing of course...).

Loading a device in Reason doesn't affect any other routings. There was clearly some user error involved, and you already stated you didn't get into learning it properly. Loads of Reason users I know never fiddle with the routing around the back at all... (I teach courses in Reason fwiw...)

But as I said before, each to their own. Both are powerful programmes that are highly capable, and each has a huge professional user base (the list of top professionals using Reason is like a "who's who" of contemporary music....).

Use what works for you ... for those used to working with hardware, Reason is probably easier. And vice-versa. Personally I ultimately prefer Ableton, as I previously stated. but I enjoy both, and recognise the strengths of each. There's really no need to attack stuff you don't properly understand ;)

Peace :)
Last edited by headquest on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listen on Soundcloud

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:06 pm

funken wrote:
skatr2 wrote:While I agree the biggest draw for reason is the infinite routing possibilities, what you mention about controlling other equipment based off audio input...this is easily accomplished in live through simple side chaining and gates.
well, you must be very clever or a masochist, because I never understood those horrible wires on even a basic level. I would get an effect on a drum or something, and then later it would change and I couldnt get it back
I dont use it anymore. But back in the day, that was the draw. It was the only software that made you FEEL like you were using hardware. Truly imo reason is brilliant at sound creation with its routing options. Downside is you can easily get sucked into it our way lost.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 pm

funken wrote: well, you must be very clever or a masochist, because I never understood those horrible wires on even a basic level. I would get an effect on a drum or something, and then later it would change and I couldnt get it back
Exactly! And neither did I want to waste time messing with it. I picked up Live an Reason at the same time somewhere back around 2003. Reason instantly pissed me off with those dangling wires and Live... was effortlessly intuitive. I've opened the manual once, in 2003!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

9V

Post by 9V » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 pm

that poll there is fake.
(1) Reason/Record is not a DAW according to Propellerhead (read here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... not-a-daw/)
(2) same poll in KVR forum: Reason/Record: 3%
(3) if you enter PH forum everyone will say "it is not a DAW", but as soon as they saw the musicradars poll the reason fanboys asked in the PH forum to go there and vote for Reason... Now, since you can vote whenever you want, even 100 times, i imagine fanboys voting again and again :roll: This explains the strange result (it already happened for a "poll" regarding vst support in reason. Well, despite the fanboys re-voting against vst, the result was 58%... 8)

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:47 pm

One more vote for Live

I've used most of the major DAW's out there and still rate it best for muso's

- Reason, never liked much and still dont. I actually like the look of if and got used to the whole routing thing, but quite frankly I dont rate how it sounds. To me it sounds "plasticky"
- Cubase: started on it and, well, pretty much dislike it intensely. Also never liked how it sounds.
- Logic: rate it very highly, would be my second choice
- Pro-tools: Excellent platform, but more for sound engineers than muso's
- Live: my number one, although I wish they'd fix that effing midi delay thing