Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
jimp

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by jimp » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:04 pm

I've tried the latest download (editing the Settings.py to uncomment '#DEVICE = "launchpad mk2"') and the latest github master with autodetect, but can't seem to get either working with my Launchpad Pro, Ableton Live 9.2.3 and Launchpad Pro, Launchpad Pro (Port 2) and Launchpad Pro (Port 3) options for Input and Output, but don't get any change in the display from the normal Launchpad Pro interface. Any ideas how I can fix this or get more information on what's going wrong? I'd love to be able to use the Launchpad95 Instrument Controller Mode with the Launchpad Pro.

mots

Post by mots » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:08 am

jimp wrote:I've tried the latest download (editing the Settings.py to uncomment '#DEVICE = "launchpad mk2"') and the latest github master with autodetect, but can't seem to get either working with my Launchpad Pro, Ableton Live 9.2.3 and Launchpad Pro, Launchpad Pro (Port 2) and Launchpad Pro (Port 3) options for Input and Output, but don't get any change in the display from the normal Launchpad Pro interface. Any ideas how I can fix this or get more information on what's going wrong? I'd love to be able to use the Launchpad95 Instrument Controller Mode with the Launchpad Pro.

hi,

not sure it will work with versions below 9.5 but worth a try. as for the Pro version, please read the first post of this thread. there is a version for the Pro and another version for the non pro. (MK2 has nothing to do with Pro)

cheers,

henri

kenerpo

Post by kenerpo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am

Hi mots,
there're any news about adding the stop line at the bottom of the launchpad with the updated script?
thanks a lot and happy Easter Monday :D

mots

Post by mots » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm

kenerpo wrote:Hi mots,
there're any news about adding the stop line at the bottom of the launchpad with the updated script?
hi,

it is supported, edit Settings.py to enable it.

cheers,

henri

mots

Post by mots » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi all,

Major Update !!

Launchpad MK2 RGB is now supported and auto-detected by Launchpad95 ! (thanks @novation for the support on this :))

Launchpad PRO is supported by a new script Launchpad Pro95 (i updated the first post of this thread with the info).

there has been quite a bit of work under the hood !

have fun and happy easter !

mots

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:59 am

Hi Mots,

Absolutely loving the fact that the script now works with the Launchpad MK2 (with autodectect!). Just wondering whether there are any plans to fully support the RGB colour spectrum for the script. Especially missing this in launch mode where I have colour coded all my clips accordingly. At the moment I find myself switching between the standard MK2 script and your Launchpad95 script just for this reason.

Thanks again for everything you have done with this, its truly awesome.

Cheers

mots

Post by mots » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:54 am

Bamboni wrote:Hi Mots,

Absolutely loving the fact that the script now works with the Launchpad MK2 (with autodectect!). Just wondering whether there are any plans to fully support the RGB colour spectrum for the script. Especially missing this in launch mode where I have colour coded all my clips accordingly. At the moment I find myself switching between the standard MK2 script and your Launchpad95 script just for this reason.

Thanks again for everything you have done with this, its truly awesome.

Cheers
Hi,

the RGB colours should be working in session mode with the last version. i noted some minor differences in some colours, i could not track down yet. but besides this RGB should be working !

cheers,

henri

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks Mots,

I am getting the following error when trying to use the script for this version. Other versions still detect fine but cannot even select this one from the midi device list. Seems to be an issue with the 'with' statement. I am using Ableton 9.5 by the way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Code: Select all

1543 ms. RemoteScriptError: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\Launchpad95\Launchpad.py:26: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6

1543 ms. RemoteScriptError: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\Launchpad95\Launchpad.py:26: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6

1543 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

1559 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

1559 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "MIDI Remote Scripts\Launchpad95\__init__.py", line 2, in <module>

1559 ms. RemoteScriptError:     
1559 ms. RemoteScriptError: from Launchpad import Launchpad

1559 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "
1559 ms. RemoteScriptError: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\Launchpad95\Launchpad.py
1559 ms. RemoteScriptError: ", line 
1559 ms. RemoteScriptError: 26
1559 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

1574 ms. RemoteScriptError:     
1574 ms. RemoteScriptError: with self.component_guard():

1590 ms. RemoteScriptError:  
1590 ms. RemoteScriptError: ^

1590 ms. RemoteScriptError: SyntaxError
1590 ms. RemoteScriptError: : 
1590 ms. RemoteScriptError: invalid syntax

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Just figured it out - the following needs to be uncommented (remove the #) from Launchpad.py:

#from __future__ import with_statement

The with statement is now working and the device is showing up as expected in midi preferences. Not sure if this is meant for compatibility but I couldn't find anything on the launchpad95 site.

Thanks again

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:11 pm

New RGB support looks great for session mode. Amazing work! Would be great if it could replicate in session view as when a track is armed for recording the whole red line going accross makes it difficult to see what track is actually playing. Also would be awesome if you could make it so the playing clips are green similar to current MK2 script to give a better visual indication of what is playing at a glance.

Cheers again

mots

Post by mots » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Bamboni wrote:New RGB support looks great for session mode. Amazing work! Would be great if it could replicate in session view as when a track is armed for recording the whole red line going accross makes it difficult to see what track is actually playing. Also would be awesome if you could make it so the playing clips are green similar to current MK2 script to give a better visual indication of what is playing at a glance.

Cheers again
hello
i just posted an emergency patch :)
thanks for notifiying me. i must have mistyped something right before commiting.

could you do me a favour and try the last version from my site and confirm it is okay ? (i am at work and cant check it now)

cheers,

henri

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks Henri,

New patch is working fine now in terms of loading in midi control list. Few suggestions that would make this even better though:
  • - When a track is armed do not highlight the entire row on the launchpad red, just highlight where empty so we know where recording can be done. Otherwise its virtually impossible to know which track is playing in the row that is armed.
    - When a clip is playing, hilight it green - the same as how the mk2 does it. This gives much better visibility when you have a full set loaded up.
    - When entering user mode 2, the track disarms itself - Not sure whether this is deliberate but when playing with multiple controllers it can ruin the flow. You can test this by selecting between User 1 and User 2 mode, where user 1 mode will arm the track and user 2 mode will disarm the track. If deliberate it would be great if this could be an option in one of the .py files to configure.
Have switched over to the launchpad95 version for pretty much everything now just a few quirks here and there but really enjoying the new version so far!

Cheers

mots

Post by mots » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Bamboni wrote:New patch is working fine now in terms of loading in midi control list.
good ! :)

Bamboni wrote:When a track is armed do not highlight the entire row on the launchpad red, just highlight where empty so we know where recording can be done. Otherwise its virtually impossible to know which track is playing in the row that is armed.
this should be easily configurable in the skins. i will try to see what i can do there. but: normally the playing/recording clip on the track should have a brighter red colour. also i personnaly like it this way :)

Bamboni wrote:When a clip is playing, hilight it green - the same as how the mk2 does it. This gives much better visibility when you have a full set loaded up.
yes i made that change. again easily changeable :)
just comment out line 15,16,17 in this file : https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... ent.py#L15

Bamboni wrote: - When entering user mode 2, the track disarms itself - Not sure whether this is deliberate but when playing with multiple controllers it can ruin the flow. You can test this by selecting between User 1 and User 2 mode, where user 1 mode will arm the track and user 2 mode will disarm the track. If deliberate it would be great if this could be an option in one of the .py files to configure.
yes this is a bit complex this one. the note mode is activating "implicit arm" on the selected track.
this implicit arm feature is just not compatible with multiple controller by design. i mentioned that to dev of ableton some year ago, that implicit arm should only enable midi monitoring for the control surface that activated this mode. that said, i am sure there could be some improvements in my code. (implict arm is when the arm button is pinkish, normal arm is when the button is plain red. implicit arm is only changeable via code)

i hope this help somewhat !

again thanks for the quick reaction !

Bamboni

Post by Bamboni » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 am

mots wrote: this should be easily configurable in the skins. i will try to see what i can do there. but: normally the playing/recording clip on the track should have a brighter red colour. also i personnaly like it this way :)
Thanks for the response. Any idea how i could edit the skins file to achieve this? Doesnt seem to be showing as a diferent shade of red for me - although maybe its just the lighting. In any casse would be great if it would replicate the MK2 here as an option as I have different shaded tracks for program changes on each track so if everything is red I cant really tell where thes changes happen.

Thanks again

mots

Post by mots » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:24 am

Bamboni wrote:
mots wrote: this should be easily configurable in the skins. i will try to see what i can do there. but: normally the playing/recording clip on the track should have a brighter red colour. also i personnaly like it this way :)
Thanks for the response. Any idea how i could edit the skins file to achieve this? Doesnt seem to be showing as a diferent shade of red for me - although maybe its just the lighting. In any casse would be great if it would replicate the MK2 here as an option as I have different shaded tracks for program changes on each track so if everything is red I cant really tell where thes changes happen.

Thanks again
hi,

everything happen (mostly) in skinMK1.py or skinMK2.py for RGB.
i just uploaded a fix for the recording red button. it should be visible.
anyhow, if you want to make the whole column not light up, : RecordButton = Rgb.RED_THIRD => RecordButton = Rgb.BLACK

cheers,
henri