Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Rickard

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by Rickard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:01 pm

First, thanks for the great script. :D

A question. On push when in a drum rack you trigger the sound of the current pad when pressing it (Pressing a button in the yellow square bottom left)
I know that that is probably not what you want in a live set up, but when writing a track it really speeds things up. Otherwise I have to switch screen or select a sound, write out notes, wait and listen.

Have I missed something and there is a way to get sound feedback? If not could it be something to implement? If not enough buttons to toggle it, could it be a parameter in a python file?

mots

Post by mots » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Rickard wrote:First, thanks for the great script. :D

A question. On push when in a drum rack you trigger the sound of the current pad when pressing it (Pressing a button in the yellow square bottom left)
I know that that is probably not what you want in a live set up, but when writing a track it really speeds things up. Otherwise I have to switch screen or select a sound, write out notes, wait and listen.

Have I missed something and there is a way to get sound feedback? If not could it be something to implement? If not enough buttons to toggle it, could it be a parameter in a python file?
hi

velocity (7th scene button): hold velocity button and click on a note in the note selector to ear a preview of the sound.
by default it silently select the note. which makes more sense indeed :)

Rickard

Post by Rickard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Wow, thanks for the super quick answer.

That is an awesome solution!

Just managed to get a hang of the Melodic StepSequencer and now I want to marry it and have babies.

maylortaylor

Post by maylortaylor » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Rickard wrote:Wow, thanks for the super quick answer.

That is an awesome solution!

Just managed to get a hang of the Melodic StepSequencer and now I want to marry it and have babies.
I still haven't gotten a grasp of the Melodic StepSequencer. If you could please do a short video explaining it, that would be AWESOME!

Rickard

Post by Rickard » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Sure here. First video tutorial I ever make :P

http://youtu.be/bhoCa6vcRAY

Tell me if it's not enough or if you want videos explaining something else. Also if I am wrong about something. I have only had the script for a few days.

manysounds

Post by manysounds » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Again and again, thank you for your hard work and amazing results.

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to use MaxForLive to send Launchpad95 commands.

The idea being we could write automated Key/Mode changes for the Instrument Controller mode without having to go to Scale Edition or Quick Scale mode. So it would "pretend" that you had clicked the right buttons.

What do we think?

mots

Post by mots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 pm

manysounds wrote: I'm wondering if there's an easy way to use MaxForLive to send Launchpad95 commands.

The idea being we could write automated Key/Mode changes for the Instrument Controller mode without having to go to Scale Edition or Quick Scale mode. So it would "pretend" that you had clicked the right buttons.
Hi,
i dont know the details about how integrate max for live with such functions of the script.
but in theory this is possible i think.

mo-seph

Post by mo-seph » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:11 pm

(Edited to start with:) This is a fantastic piece of work, thank you!

I'm having some confusion with the Drum Sequencer multi-note mode. I can't seem to get it to put notes in the right place - they end up either in the 5th or 9th bar of the clip. I've tried pressing *all* the buttons :(

I suspect I'm doing something wrong - are there any tutorials? I've read the user guide a couple of times, and I'm still not quite getting it.
Last edited by mo-seph on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mo-seph

Post by mo-seph » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Also, I'd like to modify the script so the last row of pads in session view work as clip stops - can anyone point me in the right direction?

(I'm doing this because in big sets, with lots of armed tracks, it gets horrible not having dedicated buttons - I end up making empty clips all over the place)

Midijamman

Post by Midijamman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Mots/Henri,

I wanted to tell you that this is really excellent work you have done. I am a long time synth player and composer and recently discovered Live (long time Cakewalk and then Logic Pro user) and now the Launchpad. I love the Launchpad by itself, but when I discovered your LaunchPad95 scripts, I was amazed at the functionality that you were able to add and the ease to add those extensions/scripts to the application.

Anyway, great work and I can't get enough of the Scale Edition Mode. I love its rich functionality and the way you have laid it out and have rediscovered all the different scales and modes. (I Love Minor Gypsy).

Thanks Again !!!

Midijamman (aka Bob)

mots

Post by mots » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Midijamman wrote:Mots/Henri,

I wanted to tell you that this is really excellent work you have done. I am a long time synth player and composer and recently discovered Live (long time Cakewalk and then Logic Pro user) and now the Launchpad. I love the Launchpad by itself, but when I discovered your LaunchPad95 scripts, I was amazed at the functionality that you were able to add and the ease to add those extensions/scripts to the application.

Anyway, great work and I can't get enough of the Scale Edition Mode. I love its rich functionality and the way you have laid it out and have rediscovered all the different scales and modes. (I Love Minor Gypsy).

Thanks Again !!!

Midijamman (aka Bob)

thank you for the kind words ! it always nice to get some feedback.
mo-seph wrote:Also, I'd like to modify the script so the last row of pads in session view work as clip stops - can anyone point me in the right direction?

(I'm doing this because in big sets, with lots of armed tracks, it gets horrible not having dedicated buttons - I end up making empty clips all over the place)
the place to start would be https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... mponent.py
i would start by limiting the number of scene to 7 instead of 8 here : https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... ent.py#L38
and then register the stop buttons with SessionComponent.set_stop_track_clip_buttons()
never tried it myself. but that should work. if you come up with something, let me know i would be happy to integrate that in the main script as an optional feature !

martonpe

Post by martonpe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 am

I am a huge fan of Launchpad95, I don't think we can thank you enough, mots!
I just got this idea though, that if I ported the Drum Sequencer to work with an APC mini, I could have this ultimate drummachine controller in one small package: the faders would be track volumes for the eight drum parts, the button area would the the drumSeq from Launchpad95 sequencing a midi track with the outputs routed to the 8 audio tracks. Plus optional device control and track mutes. Oh this would be fantastic, it would free up my Launchpad running Launchpad95 to control clips and play instruments and such in 8 other chanels.
If anyone has any info on why this couldn't be done please share :) Otherwise I'll might just buy an APC mini and get my hands dirty with python scripting. Oh and tips are welcome as well! :)

mots

Post by mots » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:08 am

i would suggest to read the thread on about why the apc mini sucks.

if the concerns are only about the scripts go for it it (i know some hardware has hardware issues, like the launchcontrol...)

martonpe

Post by martonpe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up mots. Read that thread, doesn't sound good. I might skip on the APC mini, those extra faders would have been cool, but oh well.
Hardware issues with the Launch Control? Hm, I couldn't find anything about that.

mots

Post by mots » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 pm

martonpe wrote:Thanks for the heads up mots. Read that thread, doesn't sound good. I might skip on the APC mini, those extra faders would have been cool, but oh well.
Hardware issues with the Launch Control? Hm, I couldn't find anything about that.
the launch control had problems. not the the launchcontrol XL.
https://www.ableton.com/answers/midi-co ... id-session
a friend of mine that had one and threw it away. not usable in a live situation.