Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
steven

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by steven » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Hay there,

and thank you very much for scripting this amazing controller. Makes a lot of sense nowadays.

Guess I have a few problem with the step-sequencer mode.

Actions my script allows me to do, do not correspond to the provided Launchpad95 instructions.
More specific: scene 3 and 4 are not scrolling. Scene 3 is instead multiplying grid steps cycling from normal to 2x, 4x and than 0.5x. Scene 4 is generating a random pattern.

Moving from Combined Mode to Multinote Mode is provided by User 2 button, and it turns into loosing the pattern I just composed.

Does it sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Ableton 9.1, Launchpad95 beta-5.

mots

Post by mots » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:56 pm

steven wrote:
Ableton 9.1, Launchpad95 beta-5.
the problem you describe look like using the beta version but reading new documentation.

get the last version on my site, and also check the documentation. some buttons have changed, and also the stepseq is by default on user mode 2 (and not on a sub mode, after pressing user mode 2 button twice).

cheers,

steven

Post by steven » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Hay mots, thank you very much for you reply.

So I'm probably a bit confused on finding which documentation belong to which version.

If this is your website
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

so I correctly got the latest version. Looking to the pictures embedded on that webpage as well as in the documentation attached to the script, I can get it working.
But if I read, I still find 'Lock (5th scene button)' and others explanation belonging probably to older versions.

Also: in the version I got from the site, user2 is cycling between three states (which is in conflict with what images say).

Doing so, both for clearing up myself and helping yours.

Thanks again,
L

mots

Post by mots » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 am

steven wrote: So I'm probably a bit confused on finding which documentation belong to which version.

so I correctly got the latest version. Looking to the pictures embedded on that webpage as well as in the documentation attached to the script, I can get it working.
But if I read, I still find 'Lock (5th scene button)' and others explanation belonging probably to older versions.
The doc on the page matches the version available on my site, but there might be some mistakes here and there.

steven wrote: Also: in the version I got from the site, user2 is cycling between three states (which is in conflict with what images say).
it does not say that ;)
"cycle thru StepSequencerS and User Mode 2"

there are two step sequencers, the push like step seq (which has a sub mode to display in multi note layout) and the new melodic step seq.

i will update the documentation when i find some time.

steven

Post by steven » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 am

thank you mots, well you're right.
thanks for the quick reply :)

L

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 am

Thanks. A LOT. Everything works perfectly here and your new doc is accurate, hell of a job.

Quick question about the step sequencer though : is it possible to change the velocity steps ? I can navigate between 70, 90 and 110 ; could I change the size of those steps ?
Or even their number ? (3 is fine, but more would be magnificent).

Thanks again, great great GREAT work there pal.
[-o-] Bass Music livesets from Paris ! ==> http://www.soundcloud.com/boombleep [-o-]

mots

Post by mots » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 am

urk aka boombleep wrote: Quick question about the step sequencer though : is it possible to change the velocity steps ? I can navigate between 70, 90 and 110 ; could I change the size of those steps ?
there can be only three in the push style seq. but you can edit them as you like :
https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... ent.py#L28

you can also edit them on new melodic step seq (but there are 7 levels there)
https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... nt2.py#L59

cheers

steven

Post by steven » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am

Hello Mots

here's a short question about a small problem I'm having.
Everything used to be ok, but today, opening the usual live file I was working on, midi assignment changed on my drumrack.

Being more precise, user mode 1 is not anymore following the standard matrix of my drumrack, as in the image.

As well, the A part (which I used for muting) is now triggering sounds and no longer controlling assignments I set up last days.

As you can imagine, StepSeq usermode2 is as well affected by the problem: midi notes are not corresponding anymore, and scrolling notes up and down seems not working.

Any tip?

Thanks L

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 pm

steven wrote:Everything used to be ok, but today, opening the usual live file I was working on, midi assignment changed on my drumrack.

Being more precise, user mode 1 is not anymore following the standard matrix of my drumrack, as in the image.
I have noted that the "old" user 2 mode, which with the default LaunchPad script sent note messages exclusively on channel 5 or 6, now sends from ch 4 on the right half and ch 1 on the left half (haven't tested each button, just the corners). I have another controller that doesn't play nice with others using ch 1 and didn't function properly once I started mapping remote controls to the LP95 legacy user 2 mode.

Similiary, I noticed that the LP95 device mode no longer showed me parameter values when I had assigned remote controls on legacy user 2 mode, but after deleting the mappings the parameter bars had been restored. I also cannot navigate tracks/devices with the arrow buttons in device mode, but that's presumably an unrelated problem.

Is it possible to edit the MIDI channels in the scripts to only send notes on, say, channels 14 and 15 for the legacy user modes?

Thanks for this excellent work, mots; please let me know if you accept donations.

mots

Post by mots » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm

hello

@ steven : it looks to me that you are using the instrument mode, in diatonic mode. press the first scene button and select the drum rack scale in the scale edit. or use the plain old usermode 1 (when the user mode 1 button is red)

@JoshG567 : thanks for reporting that ! midi channels for the modes accessible via user mode 2 were wrong.
i fixed that. after the fix, i tested the plain old user mode 2 (when the user mode 2 button is red), and the midi channel was consistently channel 5

i would like to keep midi channels of plain old user mode 1 and 2 unchanged compared to the original launchpad script so that they remain compatible.
that said, you can change them to your liking : https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/b ... nt.py#L136

the fix is at the usual spot : http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey Mots I was wondering if there's a notification I could get M4L to recognize when switching through the User 2 sub-modes.

There's a handy M4L patch called wjl.launchpad.interface that allows for easier editing for USER 2 interaction for the LP. It recognizes when USER 2 is activated. The problem is with LP95 since there are 3 sub-modes for User 2. Fortunately, the functionality of your 2 sub-modes remains, and I can still use that max patch for the original User 2 sub-mode, but the LEDS don't update when you switch through the sub-modes. The 2 sequencer sub-mode leds will overwrite the original User 2 leds if a clip is playing, but when you go out of USER 2 and then go back in the LEDS update to how they were last set up from the max patch.

I'm hoping there's a possibility between the script and API end to see if M4L can recognize when/which submodes are switching. I've been looking through the MainComponentSelector part of your script. I assume the only way if possible is to look for activity in the Component/Control aspect of the framework, which M4L may be able to recognize, depending.

Any idea?
ImageImage

eightball

Post by eightball » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Hey mots!
Thanks for this great job!
Maybe you could implement keyboard layout like this?
http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/si ... yboard.png

mots

Post by mots » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:42 pm

hi all,

i took some time to figure out this max4live compatibility problem and figured out a way to make launchpad95 work nicely with max4live devices that use the user mode 2. Using live.observer to monitor property "mode_index", expecting value "2" for user mode 2 now works as expected ! great news !

i also added a functionality in the step sequencer to duplicate existing clip (hold the quantise button for 0.5 sec in step sequencers).

about the new layout, we are officially out of free buttons. so i would rather focus on the existing ones.

as usual : http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

mots

sharkey1508

Post by sharkey1508 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 pm

hey ablwton forum first time poster,

i know im going to get raped for this but for the life of me i cannot get this to work, the weird thing is i have it working on my other laptop fine, in this case sony vaoi 8gb ram i3 ableton 9.0.5 i have launchpad 95 in my dropdown menu i select with ins and outs as lauchpad but it just turns the launchpad off, well by the looks of ir

any fix or suggestions greatly appreciated been at this all day

regards
ryan

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 pm

I've been using Launchpad to change root/scale instantaneously on my Push (see the link below), and it occurred to me that Launchpad95 could add some useful functionality:

1. Implement a single toggle button available in Note Mode that would automatically switch between relative major and harmonic minor (e.g., referenced to C major, so the switch would be between C Major and A Harmonic Minor - the root note would change from C to A, and the G note to G#.

2. For Phrygian Mode a single toggle button in Note Mode between Phrygian scale and Minor Gypsy scale referenced to the same root note. (E.G. in E Phrygian/Minor Gypsy the latter changes the G to G#); since G is used in G and C chord one would use E Phrygian, but one ALWAYS replaces G# for G for progression F->E, or E7->Am. This allows the form of the chord in the matrix to be retained.

(These additions would allow note mode matrix to change with a single left hand toggle, with the matrix conforming to the most commonly used chord changes without changing their "InKey" forms in diatonic music, and provides the same function as the ClyphX solution in the link in my signature....

(The ClyphX solution works great, but you need a Push.... :)

==================================================================================================
3. If the time signature is 3/4, structure the sequencer in columns of six, rather than eight, which will allow the user to see the notes in their proper positions in the sequence. (Don't know if this is possible)