All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 pm 

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 88
i was thinking one thing that could really help the step sequencer is some kind of page-up/page-down by octave because it can take a while to scroll from high keys to low keys. personally, i think some of the buttons could be replaced:

1. velocity - there's only 3 to choose from (none of them are what most people use by default) and the velocity shift button for single notes already exists. if you wanted to change the constant velocity, it's easily done with the velocity plugin or editing the script.

2. mute shift - there's already a mute lane mode which is much easier to use.

maybe you could replace these two buttons with a page-up/page-down? :D

oh and one more thing: if notes longer than their quantization could light up multiple LED buttons, but only if the spot is taken up fully. for example, in 1/4 note quantization, a dotted 1/4 note (1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 in length) would not take up 2 LED buttons because it does not occupy the 2nd button fully, while a 1/2 note would take up 2 buttons.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 215
ameliablack wrote:
i was thinking one thing that could really help the step sequencer is some kind of page-up/page-down by octave because it can take a while to scroll from high keys to low keys. personally, i think some of the buttons could be replaced:

1. velocity - there's only 3 to choose from (none of them are what most people use by default) and the velocity shift button for single notes already exists. if you wanted to change the constant velocity, it's easily done with the velocity plugin or editing the script.

2. mute shift - there's already a mute lane mode which is much easier to use.

maybe you could replace these two buttons with a page-up/page-down? :D

oh and one more thing: if notes longer than their quantization could light up multiple LED buttons, but only if the spot is taken up fully. for example, in 1/4 note quantization, a dotted 1/4 note (1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 in length) would not take up 2 LED buttons because it does not occupy the 2nd button fully, while a 1/2 note would take up 2 buttons.


Hi there,

I have been working on the script and actually the velocity shift and velocity buttons are now merged into one single button. Also _you_ don't use the mute shift, but i do ;)

your idea of paging is good, and i have to think on how to implement it the best way, maybe a key combination, (like mute shift button plus nav buttons).

also the Scale mode i have been working on is now working, just need to stabilise it before i can release it.

as usual i'll keep that thread updated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 pm 

Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 19
Looking forward to the scales function

well done


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm 

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 88
btw, is it possible for the step sequencer to light up rows whenever there is an incoming midi note? similar to how you can make the notes in the default user1 mode light up by using a midi out track.

for example, if you played C1 and E1 on a keyboard, the 1st and 5th rows from the bottom would light up in red. this would greatly help in knowing exactly where to put the notes on the step sequencer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 pm 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 215
ameliablack wrote:
btw, is it possible for the step sequencer to light up rows whenever there is an incoming midi note? similar to how you can make the notes in the default user1 mode light up by using a midi out track.

for example, if you played C1 and E1 on a keyboard, the 1st and 5th rows from the bottom would light up in red. this would greatly help in knowing exactly where to put the notes on the step sequencer.


i don't think it's possible do this with the live API. but maybe i'm wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 pm 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 215
Updated script is available at the usual place
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

change log : 2012-01-20
- add: updated documentation
- add: scale mode
- fix: better scroll in fold and scale mode
- change: merged mute shift and mute into one single button
- change: merge velocity and velocity shift into one single button

have fun with it !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 am 

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm
Posts: 92
Awesome work.
little but very important suggestion:
a way to move the 8*8 grid one octave up or down, maybe using a shift button....really annoying to have to press the button a dozen of times for that.

thanks for sharing your work!

_________________
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/certified_training/trainers/sylvain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:49 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 514
digging the folding scale mode

very handy

i would agree about the octave shift button too... it seems to take a lot of shifting around as it is now

thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 pm 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 215
dave dominey wrote:
i would agree about the octave shift button too... it seems to take a lot of shifting around as it is now


Done !
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

2012-01-22
- add: up/down per octave paging in step sequencer (press and hold mute and press navigation keys)
- fix: scrolling boundaries

Enjoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm
Posts: 92
mots wrote:
dave dominey wrote:
i would agree about the octave shift button too... it seems to take a lot of shifting around as it is now


Done !
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

2012-01-22
- add: up/down per octave paging in step sequencer (press and hold mute and press navigation keys)
- fix: scrolling boundaries

Enjoy


Wow, I didn't expect such a quick add!!! thx!!! :P :P

_________________
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/certified_training/trainers/sylvain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:23 pm 

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 88
ah huge update!

i've been looking through the script trying to modify the C note markers so that they light up with the number based on the octave. for example, C1 would have 1 light, C2 would have 2 lights, C3 would have 3 lights, and so on. could you let me know how this could be done? thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 514
i couldn't imagine using the launchpad without this script now

its absolutely essential!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:03 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm
Posts: 92
dave dominey wrote:
i couldn't imagine using the launchpad without this script now

its absolutely essential!!!


+1

_________________
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/certified_training/trainers/sylvain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 pm 

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 215
ameliablack wrote:
i've been looking through the script trying to modify the C note markers so that they light up with the number based on the octave. for example, C1 would have 1 light, C2 would have 2 lights, C3 would have 3 lights, and so on. could you let me know how this could be done? thanks


line 514 in StepSequencerComponent.py you can try to do something like this :
Code:
               if(MARK_C and note%12==0):
                  for note_grid_x_position in range(0,(note/12)%self._width):
                     self._grid_back_buffer[note_grid_x_position][note_grid_y_position]   = MARK_C_COLOUR
                  #self._grid_back_buffer[0][note_grid_y_position] = MARK_C_COLOUR
                  #self._grid_back_buffer[1][note_grid_y_position] = MARK_C_COLOUR
                  #self._grid_back_buffer[2][note_grid_y_position] = MARK_C_COLOUR



i cannot try it i'm away from the studio this week. but have a go it should not be too hard.

have fun !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Novation Launchpad Script with Stepsequencer and Device Ctrl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 pm 

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 88
hmm, adding that to line 514 seemed to have disabled the entire script in live. was i supposed to just copy and paste the commands into the script without replacing anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group