All times are UTC

Post subject: Multithreading singular paths on Ableton Live 10
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 am 

I know singular tracks are processed by singular cores, but if I were to get a cpu with 2 threads a core, would that help avoid audio dropout when the core becomes overloaded? I assume so, but I figured I'd ask before I went out and bought a new multi-threaded cpu, and then realise it only processes on one thread.

Post subject: Re: Multithreading singular paths on Ableton Live 10
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 am 

phewtahr wrote:
I know singular tracks are processed by singular cores, but if I were to get a cpu with 2 threads a core, would that speed up a singular track? I assume so, but I figured I'd ask before I went out and bought a new multi-threaded cpu, and then realised it only processes on one thread.

All CPUs are multi-threaded, in the meaning a number of threads need to be executed in fast succession on the same CPU core, be it a single or multiple. In a DAW like Ableton Live this needs to happen within the time slice of one sample as far as I understand Real Time computing. This means this real time execution is an illusion, but since many executions happens during the slice of a sample in quick succession we experience it as concurrent execution. I hope that was clear enough?

What the hyperthreading per core — which is likely what you mean with multithreaded CPus — again single or multiple, does is keeping more threads closer to execution by the CPU core. This takes less resources and less time for queuing up these running threads.

The more cores you have the more threads can execute at the same time slice. You can naturally combine multithread queuing with multiple cores.

You have a detailed and possibly understandable description, also for non-programmers, here in this answer, at Stackoverflow: How does a single CPU handle Multi-threaded and multi-process applications?.

More relevant to your situation, what you likely need is more cores like you say, which can execute more threads at one time slice. And if this CPU has 2 threads per core capability it could be more effective, but it doesn't have to be. You also don't want to overload one core, as that is sufficient to cause crackles.

Generally, more CPUs cores with more than 6 or 8 cores are quite expensive. Not all CPUs are suitable for music production, so it's a good thing to learn about how well specific ones are doing for other Music Producers.

Some music software, like certain plug-ins, explicitly state needing Intel CPUs. I'm not sure how seriously one should take that, but it's another thing to research.

Also read this answer here from Machinesworking.