Can someone please explain the mono/stereo functionality with Ableton channels?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
morerecords

Can someone please explain the mono/stereo functionality with Ableton channels?

Post by morerecords » Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Can someone please explain the mono/stereo functionality with individual Ableton channels?
Some plug ins (Waves) have an option to use either mono or stereo instances...
is it basically that every single Ableton track is always in stereo?
When using mono samples and the simpler, can I use a mono plug in chain on that channel?
What about a mono reverb return channel, can every plug in after the verb be a mono instance?
thanks

jestermgee

Re: Can someone please explain the mono/stereo functionality with Ableton channels?

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 07, 2019 10:06 pm

As far as I understand it (and happy to be corrected if wrong):

All Live channels are stereo channels and stereo outputs but can be loaded with mono material, it is just duplicated on L/R channels when played.

When using plugins in the chain, if you have mono source material you can choose to use the mono version of a Waves plugin which I believe is designed purely to save some processing power or in cases where a DAW can have a mono channel which can then only work with mono plugins (or one channel of a plugin). I believe what will happen is the mono plugin will receive either L or R signal (possibly R?) and process this but the output of the mono plugin will then be duplicated back to a "stereo" or call it a dual monon channel.

The only benefit I see if you will save a small amount of processing power not processing 2 channels when they both contain the exact same information but this requirement probably dates back to the golden days of DAWS where you were working on calculators, not modern super computers of today.

doghouse

Re: Can someone please explain the mono/stereo functionality with Ableton channels?

Post by doghouse » Wed May 08, 2019 11:52 am

All tracks have stereo outputs, even those recorded with mono inputs. It's a lot simpler to use than DAWs like Logic that actually have both mono and stereo audio tracks.